Question About BMU Easy Page Album: Sketch Books

MariJ

I have a question about Brandy's Easy Page Album: Sketch Books - specifically the third one at the top right end.

I used it in THIS layout which I did very quickly before my laptop was off to the hospital.  But, I'd like to fix it and can't figure out how.
As you see, the fold or page divider on my pages doesn't show on my layout and I don't know how to do that.  It's a PSD file but the only layers are for the entire two pages across, not individually or the middle fold.  

Hey.. Maybe I can help! :) That particular sketchpad was made to look kinda antiqued, so you just need to change the blending mode of your photo. If it gets too dark, just add an adjustment layer (Levels) between your photo and the page and use the sliders to adjust the lighting. I hope this helps... it's a gorgeous page!

photoshop-levels-adjustment-layer.gif

I'll second what Brandy said.  When blending items it's not a "1 size fits all" approach.  What may work for 1 photo easily  may take some effort to get to work for another.  Your starting with a darker photo that has alot of detail in it so it might take a bit more work.

I see on her template she's got a top paper layer, and a main paper layer.  Try blending  your photo into main paper layer, then also changing the blending modes on that top paper.  Also adjustment layers like she mentioned helps alot

1 hour ago, Brandy M said:

Hey.. Maybe I can help! :) That particular sketchpad was made to look kinda antiqued, so you just need to change the blending mode of your photo. If it gets too dark, just add an adjustment layer (Levels) between your photo and the page and use the sliders to adjust the lighting. I hope this helps... it's a gorgeous page!

Thank you Brandy and that was quick!  I love those templates but this one had me stumped!  
I guess part of the problem is that I have 3 layers of photos/blending so I'll need to merge before using a blending mode.
I tried that but it changed the photo coloring;  now that I have your info I am going to try again, thanks SOOoooo much for answering!   :)
I had to create that layout quickly before my laptop went off to be fixed, now I have more time to play..    THANK YOU! :)

1 hour ago, angleigh said:

I'll second what Brandy said.  When blending items it's not a "1 size fits all" approach.  What may work for 1 photo easily  may take some effort to get to work for another.  Your starting with a darker photo that has alot of detail in it so it might take a bit more work.

I see on her template she's got a top paper layer, and a main paper layer.  Try blending  your photo into main paper layer, then also changing the blending modes on that top paper.  Also adjustment layers like she mentioned helps alot

THANKS!  Angie, I'm going to try this and the above, I had noticed the two paper layers and never thought of that.   :hit-head-with-hammer:

Now that I have more time to play, I can try all this, thanks so much for the reply. :) 

And, funny, because the blend modes I used on the photo sorta gave it more a sepia/antique look.  Maybe I instintively knew that.   :D

You are welcome! Angie is right about no blending mode being perfect, you have to play around. Using the trick of adding a adjustment layer between your photo and whatever you are blending is useful. You can also use the hue/saturation to change the coloring. (de-saturate it so it doesn't become yellow like the page).

Have fun! I am glad your baby is back from the "fix-it" doctor LOL

You are welcome! Angie is right about no blending mode being perfect, you have to play around. Using the trick of adding a adjustment layer between your photo and whatever you are blending is useful. You can also use the hue/saturation to change the coloring. (de-saturate it so it doesn't become yellow like the page).

Have fun! I am glad your baby is back from the "fix-it" doctor LOL

Thanks, Brandy - it was a long 18-day saga with laptop woes that still aren't fixed but at least I can use it now.  If you have an Apple, beware of HighSierra OS - it doesn't play nicely with filing systems so I've a bit of a mess (and a "workaround", not fix" until Apple writes/updates it) in of all things, my SCRAPBOOK Folder!   And, I like that - you're right this laptop really does feel like my baby! :) 

So, O-Kay!  I spent time playing in all kinds of directions, made a second copy of the photo, clipped one to the top paper layer, and one to the main....  (Thanks, Angie!)  Added an adjustment layer in between (I think, it's the first time I've ever used them!) and changed and tried all kinds of blending modes on all the different layers...  (Y'all know how that goes, right? :D)... 
One thing that had been bothering me was the stark, streamlined photo in a sketchbook with pencils attached, it sure didn't look like a drawing!  I'd had an artistic filter on my first version, for this one I remembered Jody telling me about "find edges" so that's what I did on the top photo...  Played with blending modes and opacity yet again (& again!) until I thought it looked more like a drawing would.  

I think you're right Brandy that the photo does have a yellowish tint, but I sorta like it so left it.  Then of course the pencil was too outstanding so I tried darkening it but I'm calling it a day.    I'm happier with the results AND the way the fold of the book looks.  I'm still a bit wanting "perfection" but for sure I can't make my photo bend like it would in real life!
Thanks to you both, Brandy and Angie.   I was so missing Jody who would have given me many idea to try and this layout probably would have flown back and forth from USA>Australia quite a few times as I tried them.  It was so nice to get your help, I appreciate both of your quick replies.

I'll post the two versions below...

Here's the original version (first) and then my updated one.   Now it's looking a bit dark, I might have to tinker more yet!   
(PS - just did.  I see each time I make the LO lighter, I lose more of the "fold" middle line" that started this whole question!)
Thanks to both of you again.  

Weekend Challenge 11 4 17 JP.jpg

BRANDY Trial Weekend Challenge 11 4 17  copyJP.jpg

I feel you.. another thing you might try is using a mask that doesn't cover the fold so you don't even have to worry about it. I am pretty sure that is what I did for the sample layout of this particular template. (slept since then) Anyway.. it was just a thought. I miss Jody too. <3

2 hours ago, Brandy M said:

I feel you.. another thing you might try is using a mask that doesn't cover the fold so you don't even have to worry about it. I am pretty sure that is what I did for the sample layout of this particular template. (slept since then) Anyway.. it was just a thought. I miss Jody too. <3

Thank you Brandy.  xo    Jody sure touched a lot of people for sure.... 

Funny, I thought about very lightly erasing along the fold but it didn't look good.   I'm not sure how to do the mask;  I might look at it again to see what thoughts I come up with.   So nice "talking" with you and thank you again. :)

I can't wait to play w/ these ideas! Thanks, Marilyn, for posting such a wonderful problem from which all of us can learn. :) Brandy and Angie bring to the table some great tips on blending, and I have a page that I couldn't figure out for the longest. I'll post it if these tips work! Thanks all!

Archived