Don't laugh but I need advice!

So my mom and i came up with this brilliant idea to cut up Trader Joe bags, stamp with white snowflakes, and use that to wrap in lieu of boxes this year (think "brown paper packages tied up with string"). Add a cute little SG tag and voila! Only thing is, we now have 10-15 bags stamped and ugh. The ink is smudging. Apparently I should've sprung for the Staz-on ink  pad instead of the Craft Smart that was on sale. What we used is for embossing? So short of spraying them all with a fixative, (already tried a heat tool which didn't seem to help much), how do we keep everyone from getting white chalky paint all over them on Christmas day? Drat. First little bit of creativity I've had in a while and apparently it was a fluke. Ideas welcome. Gratefully, it was only about a $10 investment so far (bags were free, ink was $1 each and the stamps were about $5 each).

Maybe they'll dry in a couple days? Reading that pigment inks take longer to dry but do they actually dry? 

Ughhhh... I feel your frustration and that was such a good idea!  I know what you mean, I once used a gold embossing inkpad for something and it just didn't dry.  But, that was a non-porous object, I'd think you'd have the most hope with brown bags since they do absorb.  I was going to suggest a hair dryer, but I'd think a heat tool would be the same?
Only other thing I thought of to use is if you DO go the fixative-way, maybe hair spray?   At least you maybe could get some cheap at the $ store.
So sorry this derailed your wonderful project a bit, hoping someone else has an idea that would work! 

Dianne, that would be frustrating.

Pigment ink will eventually dry  but not sure how long it would take and also if on a gloss surface even longer.  Make sure you have them all spread out so they can air dry. You could try and place plain scrap paper over each stamped image and press carefully (blot it ) without smudging with your hand to remove the top wettish ink. It will lighten the image but may help it dry quicker.

5 minutes ago, AmandaFace said:

Pigment ink makes cleaner images but takes longer to dry. Do you have any embossing powder? You could use clear (or white) and heat. 

thought about that but that'd be a huge mess - 15 paper bags (cut and opened to full length), about 50 flakes stamped on each one! i might use the same stamp though and emboss it to make matching tags, that wouldn't be too bag. good practice project. 

i ended up taking the sheets to the basement and spraying them with fixative. so far no neighbors have complained (basement is huge, i did a few in each area to spread the fumes around). 

thanks for the ideas and tips LOL! live and learn right (my projects are usually centered around being "frugal" - oops!) 

see, we don't have these issues with the digital stuff right?! LOL! also yes, i realize i could've bought a roll of kraft wrapping paper with some design on it. but i'd have missed making my mom lunch, shopping at michaels, laughing our heads off! but the tags will be fail safe: SG printouts!! 

13 hours ago, diannecp said:

thought about that but that'd be a huge mess - 15 paper bags (cut and opened to full length), about 50 flakes stamped on each one! i might use the same stamp though and emboss it to make matching tags, that wouldn't be too bag. good practice project. 

i ended up taking the sheets to the basement and spraying them with fixative. so far no neighbors have complained (basement is huge, i did a few in each area to spread the fumes around). 

thanks for the ideas and tips LOL! live and learn right (my projects are usually centered around being "frugal" - oops!) 

I'm glad you worked it out, Dianne but you made me laugh.  SO true, often when I try to say $$ or time I end up using more!  But, the fun couldn't be reproduced, right?   Too bad you didn't take a photo for the photo challenge but in any case I hope you show us how the packages look. :)

Waah, after 4 days, a good deal of the ink is still rubbing off. I don't want to ruin the gifts so I'm tossing these and bought some paper instead. Apparently all white ink is pigment ink - oops. Next year we may try again with a dye-based ink. Can't complain, the little fiasco only cost me about $10 and now I have all the white ink pads I could ever want! 

1 hour ago, diannecp said:

Waah, after 4 days, a good deal of the ink is still rubbing off. I don't want to ruin the gifts so I'm tossing these and bought some paper instead. Apparently all white ink is pigment ink - oops. Next year we may try again with a dye-based ink. Can't complain, the little fiasco only cost me about $10 and now I have all the white ink pads I could ever want! 

Awwww...  Sorry about that Dianne but your attitude is good!   Too bad, this was really a great idea and I bet would look lovely.  
Live and learn, right?

Archived