Converting PSDs to TIFFs

Ande43

Carol, I have started to keep the TIFF files for templates when designers include them instead of the PSDs.

TIFFs are most times smaller sized files than PSDs. 

22 minutes ago, A-M said:

Carol, I have started to keep the TIFF files for templates when designers include them instead of the PSDs.

TIFFs are most times smaller sized files than PSDs. 

This is interesting, I don't know what TIFF files are.   Are they like PSD files?  What's the difference, I don't think I've seen TIFFs before.

Would there be a disadvantage to converting to TIFF?

Marilyn, TIFF files are just like PSD files - they are all in layers.  There would be no disadvantage to converting but it would be time consuming if you have a lot of templates.  Also Marilyn if you  are creating a layout in your PSE and you go to "save as" you should see TIFF as a format that you can save your layout in. 

From what I have found on the internet:   TIFF was the format for programs that could not use PSD which is a product of Adobe. 

(Someone else with lots of computer knowledge may come along and explain fully the differences)

I just looked in my folder of zipped downloads for a template I have downloaded this month.

The PSD file size is....  83.9 mb

The TIFF file size is.... 68.1 mb

This is why some people who want to save room on their computers only keep the TIFF files which is what I have started to do. 

As you create your layouts you could save in TIFF format to save space on your computer if you are going to keep the layered file.  ( this is something I should start to think about as I have so many PSD files from past layouts that I really do not need to keep. Each year I move my year of PSD layouts onto a EHD. Maybe I need to decide if I ever really need to go back and redo the layout as it all is just taking up lots of space on my EHDs).

I open the PSD in PSE and then go to file, Save as, and in that box I chose TFF  in the options....what I like about them is the TFF is like a JPEG....so for all those PSD files you can see what they look like and not just the icon....I'm slowly going through all my PSDs and converting them...they work just the same 

3 hours ago, A-M said:

Marilyn, TIFF files are just like PSD files - they are all in layers.  There would be no disadvantage to converting but it would be time consuming if you have a lot of templates.  Also Marilyn if you  are creating a layout in your PSE and you go to "save as" you should see TIFF as a format that you can save your layout in. 

From what I have found on the internet:   TIFF was the format for programs that could not use PSD which is a product of Adobe. 

(Someone else with lots of computer knowledge may come along and explain fully the differences)

I just looked in my folder of zipped downloads for a template I have downloaded this month.

The PSD file size is....  83.9 mb

The TIFF file size is.... 68.1 mb

This is why some people who want to save room on their computers only keep the TIFF files which is what I have started to do. 

As you create your layouts you could save in TIFF format to save space on your computer if you are going to keep the layered file.  ( this is something I should start to think about as I have so many PSD files from past layouts that I really do not need to keep. Each year I move my year of PSD layouts onto a EHD. Maybe I need to decide if I ever really need to go back and redo the layout as it all is just taking up lots of space on my EHDs).

Thanks Anne Marie, that's a wonderful explanation and I learned a lot!   I can see the differences in size for sure and it's all very interesting.   
When I got my new laptop and needed more space Jody convinced me to put my PSD Layouts folders in an EHD; it was huge and opened up a lot of storage for me.  Every other month or so I empty the one on my laptop onto the EHD, I think I'm due for that!

All the time. I don't like that Adobe doesn't let you preview psd files. They say there are some things that won't work correctly with a tiff file, but I've never had a problem with one. I save all my templates as tiff files so I can just have one image in the folder. I save my layouts as tiff files too. 

2 minutes ago, April Showers said:

All the time. I don't like that Adobe doesn't let you preview psd files. They say there are some things that won't work correctly with a tiff file, but I've never had a problem with one. I save all my templates as tiff files so I can just have one image in the folder. I save my layouts as tiff files too. 

Me too.....

Archived