Re-coloring or coloring tutorial

beatricemi

I know a few different ways to color or recolor- color fill layer, hue adjustment layer etc. I'm looking at this month scrap simple club and I think everything is grayscale. There is a tutorial on creating a paper but I'm wondering if there is a "best" way to color grayscale elements. I'm using photoshop elements 14. Thanks for any tips or links you can provide.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this on Scrapgirls while searching for recoloring, and it was very helpful. It was posted by Teecee in May of 2014...

Use the magic wand tool...

1. FIrst, make a copy of the photo and close the original.

2. Click the foreground color chip to open the color picker and select the color you want to change the dress/vest to.

3. Select the magic wand tool, (In PSE 11, the shortcut is A - in earlier versions of PSE the shortcut is W).

4. In the tool options bar, select the icon for Add to Selection, set the Tolerance to 32, and check Contiguous.

5. Click in the areas of the dress and vest where you want to change the color. Marching ants will outline the areas you selected.

6. Go to Enhance>Adjust Color>Adjust Hue/Saturation (shortcut is CTRL+U)

7. A Hue/Saturation dialog box will open - check the colorize box.

8. Play with the Saturation and/or Lightness sliders until the dress and vest are the colors you want. (Just be careful not to go too far with the sliders or you will lose detail.)

9. Click OK and press CTRL+D to deselect the marching ants.

You may need to play around a little to get the colors and detail just the way you want it. HTH

Archived