Project Life 2018 - Chatting Thread

A-M

57 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

I have my template together and am ready to start on January, making one double page layout per month.  Now....to decide on the collection to use....I'm going to the PL gallery now for some inspiration! 

I look forward to seeing your monthly double. I am working on my monthly as the month progresses - adding photos and journaling as it happens. This way I hope to get the page finished quickly.  Just so you know with the monthly pages... if it is January's page you will get the smiley for January in the yearly chart. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/18/2018 at 7:01 AM, sueb_4 said:

Thanks for the fast reply Anne Marie.  I was actually meaning the signature link.  I followed April Showers instructions but unfortunately did something wrong.  Initially there was a bounding box which I put the url in but that was the wrong thing that I entered.  So I deleted the bounding box & now cant get it back. 

It was so that I could link to my gallery.  

I fixed the link for your gallery. If the link doesn't work like you want it to, please let me know and I'll fix it!

15 hours ago, SodScrap said:

I have my template together and am ready to start on January, making one double page layout per month.  Now....to decide on the collection to use....I'm going to the PL gallery now for some inspiration! 

I know that some people have used the monthly Club for their month of pages. I usually let my photos decide, but make sure that I haven't used that color on a recent monthly page. I almost always have black or orange for October, pink or purple for August (Brooke's bday month), orange for May (Lauren's bday) and green or red for December. I guess I go with the seasons for colors, too.

January's theme for my pages will be winter! LOL!

4 minutes ago, CRS said:

I know that some people have used the monthly Club for their month of pages. I usually let my photos decide, but make sure that I haven't used that color on a recent monthly page. I almost always have black or orange for October, pink or purple for August (Brooke's bday month), orange for May (Lauren's bday) and green or red for December. I guess I go with the seasons for colors, too.

January's theme for my pages will be winter! LOL!

That’s true, now I think of it - I used a BG color to sort of coincide with the month/season - or something special going on.  But, Dec was red, Jan was icy blue, etc!

So, I just received my 2017 book from Shutterfly yesterday. I am bummed because some of the stitching from Susie's template was cut off. The photos and embellishments look great, just missing some stitching on some edges. So....

When creating your layouts for printing in a book, make sure you keep any important elements away from the edges!

3 minutes ago, CRS said:

So, I just received my 2017 book from Shutterfly yesterday. I am bummed because some of the stitching from Susie's template was cut off. The photos and embellishments look great, just missing some stitching on some edges. So....

When creating your layouts for printing in a book, make sure you keep any important elements away from the edges!

Very true!  I also know some sites will have a guide that will show you the bleed area so you know where to keep items away from.  So that might be something to think about especially when you are just starting your book

1 hour ago, CRS said:

Awwwww... That’s too bad, Carla - sorry about that.  I’ve found that even when I used a site’s template that showed me how far I could go out - it still turned out different.   I wonder if you could write to them and they’d fix it?   I’ve had good luck with their customer service when I wasn’t happy with a product.   It’s worth a try, they did redo something for me once.

5 hours ago, CRS said:

Carla, sorry to read this happened to your album.

This is why the two albums I have had printed professionally so far I have a plain border from with in their websites software and that way all my page gets printed and I like the look of the border. 

On 1/25/2018 at 4:24 PM, CRS said:

When making my photo book pages, here's what I do to avoid that problem. On each page I add a top layer in a bright color (yellow seems to work for me). Then I select all but a half inch edge and delete it. In other words, it now looks like a half inch frame all around the page. That way I can see at a glance what will/might be cut off at any edge. For many of the SG templates, things will be cut off, so when I use the template I reduce its size a little.  (CTRL + T) to about 90% - 95%, and that seems to bring everything within the "frame". Obviously I keep the background the full size. Good luck! I know how frustrating it is when something that looks so good on your computer screen is partly missing in the finished book! Oh, yes... Don't forget to turn off the bright yellow frame before you save the page! :D 

11 hours ago, Florida granny said:

When making my photo book pages, here's what I do to avoid that problem. On each page I add a top layer in a bright color (yellow seems to work for me). Then I select all but a half inch edge and delete it. In other words, it now looks like a half inch frame all around the page. That way I can see at a glance what will/might be cut off at any edge. For many of the SG templates, things will be cut off, so when I use the template I reduce its size a little.  (CTRL + T) to about 90% - 95%, and that seems to bring everything within the "frame". Obviously I keep the background the full size. Good luck! I know how frustrating it is when something that looks so good on your computer screen is partly missing in the finished book! Oh, yes... Don't forget to turn off the bright yellow frame before you save the page! :D 

Thanks for the tips! I have a template from Shutterfly for 12x12 pages, but I scrap these 12x24 and was trying to figure out the best way to scale them to fit the template. I didn’t use them last year but this year I’ll be sure to keep anything important inside the frame.

Oh dear! I have fallen a tad behind on this project and hope to get all caught up this weekend! I can't seem to find the February prompts... can some one please point me in the right direction? TIA!!! xoxo

10 hours ago, QuirkyGirl said:

Oh dear! I have fallen a tad behind on this project and hope to get all caught up this weekend! I can't seem to find the February prompts... can some one please point me in the right direction? TIA!!! xoxo

If you want to bookmark the post where I will share the photo themes each month,  you can find the post HERE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

April 1:

The first quarter of the year has passed so I thought I'd check in with the chatting thread, LOL. So far my 2018 format is working for me, and you've all been so kind in your comments. I truly appreciate them.

In past years I've given up PL part way through the year because sometimes I just don't feel like taking a bunch of photos of my day or week, so this year I'm trying something new. I just note a few happenings during the month. They can be just days apart or maybe two weeks apart, it doesn't matter. I use only a couple of photos and journal about it. That way, I'm not putting pressure on myself and so far I've enjoyed making the pages.  Having said that, I'm also really enjoying reading about your lives! And seeing your photos! It's interesting to see how varied our pages are, yet all interesting and so well done.

I'm surprised I've kept up with it this year!  The daily photos have really helped me, although I do find myself getting behind by a few days sometimes.  I keep pushing through, though, because I'm happy with the layouts once I've created them, and I know next year will bring a lot of change for my family - I think PL will be a great way to document the daily crazy!

I have updated the tracking which you can find HERE

My April has started busy already. I have to finish my March monthly Project Life page. I work on it as the month progresses - adding my photos when I remember to  and then finish it off at the end of the month. 

It is pleasing to read of those enjoying the photo prompts I share.  Also good to see so many keeping up to date. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Ande43 said:

I can't believe I am 5 LO's behind....I WILL catch up!!

Carol, do not put any pressure on yourself. I do not even want to look at how many weeks I am behind and I do not think I will get to them until next week. I am working on an album to be printed as I prepaid for a printed album and I need to upload my pages by the end of the next week. The album is about major holidays I took back in 1977 and 1979. 

Your album sounds lovely Anne-Marie. I find it quite daunting to go back that far and do an album as I take so many photos :)

I can't believe May has been and gone. I had to do 4 pages for this month as we were away at the beginning of the month so wanted to include the holiday. I will be away from the 18th June so it looks like it will be another 4 page month for me. 

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, angleigh said:

Have the July prompts been posted yet?  Or did I overlook them?  Thanks!

Sorry Angie... I had it all ready but with hosting the chat on the weekend and then needing to start off the World Tour.. I forgot.

You can find July HERE

Archived