Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Several months ago I posted a "I wish Scrap Girls had" thread and something that come up over and over was more tutorials.

I want to implement that in 2018 but I need some ideas.  If we were to have short technique tutorial, and possible a monthly chat talking about the technique, type of subjects would you like to have covered?

Let's start a list of any/all idea of things you'd like to learn a little more about.

ps. I already have a class that's about 1/2 way done, it covers taking better photos, tips on lifestyle type of photos, then will move onto creating pages with the photos.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There used to be a class on selection tools which I took but barely understood because I was a newbie.  I’d like to learn more about selection tools.

Also masks.  I didn’t have them in PSE and even with using PSE 13 now for two years I have no idea what they do or how to use them.

I also don’t know how to use the pencil or how to draw straight lines, if there is a way!

I’m glad you're thinking of chat tutorials too.  The way classes were run previously with a handout which we followed during the chat and all tried the technique together, then had homework to do was so helpful to me because it was active and real-time.  Somehow, for all my good intentions, I rarely read and follow tutorials, I wish I could get better at that!   

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MariJ said:

There used to be a class on selection tools which I took but barely understood because I was a newbie.  I’d like to learn more about selection tools.

Also masks.  I didn’t have them in PSE and even with using PSE 13 now for two years I have no idea what they do or how to use them.

I also don’t know how to use the pencil or how to draw straight lines, if there is a way!

I’m glad you're thinking of chat tutorials too.  The way classes were run previously with a handout which we followed during the chat and all tried the technique together, then had homework to do was so helpful to me because it was active and real-time.  Somehow, for all my good intentions, I rarely read and follow tutorials, I wish I could get better at that!   

Marilyn I can help with the drawing of a straight line if I knew which is the shift key used on Windows is on your MAC?

You have your pencil or paint brush - ready in the size and colour you want - hold the sift key ( or whatever yours is) - click once on your canvas still holding that key and then click again where you want the line to end - take your finger off the shift key and you should have a straight line. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, A-M said:

Marilyn I can help with the drawing of a straight line if I knew which is the shift key used on Windows is on your MAC?

You have your pencil or paint brush - ready in the size and colour you want - hold the sift key ( or whatever yours is) - click once on your canvas still holding that key and then click again where you want the line to end - take your finger off the shift key and you should have a straight line. 

I use that as well, it works great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, angleigh said:

These won't actually be classes, more little tips/techniques articles.  So the chat (if we do them) would just be discussing the tutorials

I'll start writing down these ideas

Yes, but that would be super as I personally do better with the discussions as opposed to reading and trying to do the tutorial myself.  It all sounds great, Angie, thank you! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A-M said:

Marilyn I can help with the drawing of a straight line if I knew which is the shift key used on Windows is on your MAC?

You have your pencil or paint brush - ready in the size and colour you want - hold the sift key ( or whatever yours is) - click once on your canvas still holding that key and then click again where you want the line to end - take your finger off the shift key and you should have a straight line. 

One tutorial down, that’s awesome Anne Marie and worked great!  I’ve always wanted to be able to do that, thanks so much!
And, for once the “shift” key on Mac is called -- exactly that!

Thanks again, much appreciated. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, MariJ said:

One tutorial down, that’s awesome Anne Marie and worked great!  I’ve always wanted to be able to do that, thanks so much!
And, for once the “shift” key on Mac is called -- exactly that!

Thanks again, much appreciated. :)

Sometimes I wish we had the "like" button to say "glad I could help you Marilyn. "

Link to post
Share on other sites

You've got me thinking Angie! There are lots of tools in PSE that I've never really known the purpose of - "eye dropper" and "cookie cutter" for example. Finding out more about them and any possible uses in digi scrapping would be good. I struggle with the gradient tool. Hints and tips on that would be great.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How about the clone stamp tool/pattern stamp tool in Photoshop. I quite often use the clone stamp tool to make minor adjustments on photos if there is something in the photo that requires minor adjustments but I've never used the pattern stamp tool.

Also sometime ago there were tips/hints on color swatches, how to make/create your own personalized color swatches from your photos to use in in your layout. I have another one, not many of us discuss the blur filter tool and all the different settings.

If i think of any more I'll come back to this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As Hilary said - tools are there and I use some, but some I have no idea what they do or could be useful for.  Maybe a whole review of each tool would be helpful?  And it’s always nice when other scrappers chime in - Anne Marie already solved my “draw-a-straight-line” problem! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

This all sounds great! I, for one, need tips on better photography. By the way, I love that we have a "Learn How" category at the top of the forum now. It's so easy to browse through the tutorials that have been written already and refresh our memories. I just picked up an easy tip on keeping track of supplies in our layouts. Cool!

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Florida granny said:

This all sounds great! I, for one, need tips on better photography. By the way, I love that we have a "Learn How" category at the top of the forum now. It's so easy to browse through the tutorials that have been written already and refresh our memories. I just picked up an easy tip on keeping track of supplies in our layouts. Cool!

I've just looked at this tutorial - so simple, so effective! Thanks for pointing it out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, alsoarty said:

I think it's a great idea Angie. How about how to use brushes more effectively - like changing the opacity, orientation etc etc etc.?

Yes, I rarely use brushes and I’d love how to use them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would LOVE to learn how to create my own photo masks, which ties in with learning how to use and even create brushes. How to have them have that distresses look around the edges (I’m not sure distressed is the right word, I don’t mean less opaque, I mean ragged or textured). This is really something I want to learn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, englishrose said:

I've just looked at this tutorial - so simple, so effective! Thanks for pointing it out.

I couldn’t get the images to come up on the tutorial???

1 hour ago, englishrose said:

I've just looked at this tutorial - so simple, so effective! Thanks for pointing it out.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Florida granny said:

This all sounds great! I, for one, need tips on better photography. By the way, I love that we have a "Learn How" category at the top of the forum now. It's so easy to browse through the tutorials that have been written already and refresh our memories. I just picked up an easy tip on keeping track of supplies in our layouts. Cool!

Yes i’m really interested tips for photography and thank you for the libk you shared. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Florida granny said:

This all sounds great! I, for one, need tips on better photography. By the way, I love that we have a "Learn How" category at the top of the forum now. It's so easy to browse through the tutorials that have been written already and refresh our memories. I just picked up an easy tip on keeping track of supplies in our layouts. Cool!

That’s so simple, yet brilliant!  Thanks Diane - and Anna, too! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would enjoy learning more about selection tools and masks as well. Also  I've never figured out a reason to use the blur, dodge, burn, etc. tools (and how they differ from layer styles of the same name). Also actions. Actions scare me! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...