Wacom Tablet???

Ande43

Yes - love it, especially for designing products and doing layouts. Though I am totally mouse-free so my pen and tablet get tons of use for anything that requires a computer!

Looks interesting,,......Where would be a good place to check out??  Amazon??  Are there different kinds??  

I use one at work and one at home and I love them.  The one at work is pretty basic and cost 100$ or less.  I think it's called an Intuos Photo (or something like that) It's basically a mouse and it helps with my wrists.  My home tablet is higher end and I use it for scrapping all the time. It's an Intuos Pro.  This one was probably 250$ - 300$ on sale maybe at Best Buy. Mark got it for my birthday a couple of years ago. I think we got the work one at Staples and the home one at Best Buy.

This sounds really interesting....I'd like to be able to do  something somewhere other than my laptop

I have one and absolutely love it!  It's and Intuos 4 which is at least4-5 years old now I think.  I rarely if ever use my mouse anymore and it's much easier on my hand/ wrist when I'm at the computer for an extended period of time designing etc.  Once you get used to it you will love it. 

7 hours ago, Ande43 said:

This sounds really interesting....I'd like to be able to do  something somewhere other than my laptop

Hi Carol, I have a Bamboo Fun which I always forget to use, but it’s great for things like exact, fine work because you use a “pencil” instead of a mouse or finger so you have lots more control in Photoshop/Elements.

It’s not, however a stand-alone product, you have to be using it with your laptop or computer.   You actually connect it to your computer and then “draw”  (or whatever you are doing) - using the pencil instead of a mouse.  Not sure if I’m explaining that well but you won’t be able to use it alone, you need the monitor of your computer to see what you are doing, at least that’s how mine works!

It’s been helpful to me, for example when I’m extracting and want to get in very close and exact to remove a background.  In that case I would “erase” on the photo looking at the laptop monitor, but actually working on the tablet.  Much more control using the pencil than my finger on my trackpad.

I also have the Bamboo fun and I can't scrap without it!! Reading some of the posts above it looks like I need to use it more when doing everyday stuff to help with the wrist. The only complaint I have is the work space on mine is a little small for me but I make it work. I haven't figured out how to used the little buttons on the side of the pen so I guess I need to add that to my to do list.

32 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

I also have the Bamboo fun and I can't scrap without it!! Reading some of the posts above it looks like I need to use it more when doing everyday stuff to help with the wrist. The only complaint I have is the work space on mine is a little small for me but I make it work. I haven't figured out how to used the little buttons on the side of the pen so I guess I need to add that to my to do list.

The button on the side are completely modifiable. I have them set to right click and double click and it becomes second nature just like keyboard commands. I think you can set them to pretty much anything you want.

29 minutes ago, mimes1 said:

The button on the side are completely modifiable. I have them set to right click and double click and it becomes second nature just like keyboard commands. I think you can set them to pretty much anything you want.

That’s helpful Amy and Kelly, I never use my buttons, either!  Although, I might not be using my tablet much at all as I’ve read that it doesn’t play nice with the latest Mac OS.   So, it might be time for a new one, I was pricing the Intuos one you mentioned Amy in the weeks before Christmas.  It started at $99 and went to $79 and then $69, now it is back to $79 - should have bought it back then!   

I have 2. A smaller one for my laptop, and the large one for my IMac. I dont even know where my mouse’s are. Cant do anything with out one of them. In fact i have a 3rd one too. But i dropped that pen in a glass full of water. So i have to buy a new pen.

I have the Intuos Pro that I won from Scrap Girls a few years ago. I've never used it and I guess I should figure it out and use it. It looks interesting and maybe it will help with the pain in my right hand. I might need to have surgery, again, on my right hand. My pointer finger still locks on me causing lots of pain. To top it off, my left hand is starting to give me trouble.

It does take some practice to do things like draw straight lines.  I found it hard to click on the tabs and slide over to a selection in PSE at first.  Try Solitare to get used to it.  If you switch back and forth with a mouse, it takes a little adjusting each time you go back to the pen tablet, but only a few seconds.  I have the smaller Bamboo Fun (now called something else, but it was the cheaper model), and the work area does seem small.  To move the pen over long distances on the screen, you have to start at the edge of the tablet area.

8 minutes ago, beatricemi said:

Are there any helpful tutorials- especially for PSE? I think I have a bamboo somewhere but I've actually never used it. I really struggle with extractions.

Bea, the tablet is just like using a mouse. You hold the pen instead of moving a mouse around. I started to use mine all the time for digital scrapbooking after I suffered with a pinched nerve  causing pain down my right arm and then a trigger thumb. I use the pen and tablet for playing computer games such as solitaire to get the feel of it.   Depending on which tablet you have you can create shortcuts with it which is what I like about mine - Wacom Intous

You might need to look up the instructions for the tablet you have which help you set up the pen and if there are any shortcut buttons etc. 

1 hour ago, beatricemi said:

Are there any helpful tutorials- especially for PSE? I think I have a bamboo somewhere but I've actually never used it. I really struggle with extractions.

As usual these days, I don’t find directions to be very helpful.  The tablets are great for extractions because you can be precise “writing” with the pen as opposed to using a mouse or trackpad.   
I’m going to look online to see if there are tutorials around, that’s a good idea.

Archived