Layer problem

hipgranny@65

I recently upgraded to PSE 18.  When I add a new image such as an alpha to  my project, instead of entering above the selected layer, it will randomly jump to the top or some place else.  It is a bit frustrating and time consuming to move the layer to its correct place.  Anyone else experienced this problem?  Any advice?

I think I remember someone reporting something like this, but I’m not sure.  I’m wondering if you can find something in settings to change?

I just tried a search but didn’t find anything yet, I’ll try to look further in the morning if no one else has found anything. 
Good luck, though that must be so frustrtating.  

I use CS6 but do have PSE15 on my computer which I just tried and had no problems with either opening the alpha and dragging onto the layout or using the "place".

which procedure are you using that does not work?

A suggestion might be to make sure you have the layer selected in the layers panel that you want the alpha or new embellishment to be placed above. Have the move tool active also. 

If that does not work add a new layer in the layers panel and then drag or place the alpha/embellishment there where you want it. 

p.s.  I did a search could not find anything showing the problems you are experiencing.

I found this on the adobe website that may help as there are lots of tutorials about layers:   HERE

On 1/14/2018 at 10:26 PM, A-M said:

I use CS6 but do have PSE15 on my computer which I just tried and had no problems with either opening the alpha and dragging onto the layout or using the "place".

which procedure are you using that does not work?

A suggestion might be to make sure you have the layer selected in the layers panel that you want the alpha or new embellishment to be placed above. Have the move tool active also. 

If that does not work add a new layer in the layers panel and then drag or place the alpha/embellishment there where you want it. 

p.s.  I did a search could not find anything showing the problems you are experiencing.

I found this on the adobe website that may help as there are lots of tutorials about layers:   HERE

I drag elements or pics up to my layout from the photo bin. Sometimes they land above the layer I have high-lighted, but mostly not. I have tried holding down  the shift key or the control key while dragging, but nothing seem to change the randomness of placement. Have just learned t live with it.

2 hours ago, scrapgarden said:

I drag elements or pics up to my layout from the photo bin. Sometimes they land above the layer I have high-lighted, but mostly not. I have tried holding down  the shift key or the control key while dragging, but nothing seem to change the randomness of placement. Have just learned t live with it.

Lynne, I just did a google search and found someone had the exact same problem you have explained and I will now add a copy of the reply they received which helped them:

When you drag from the photo bin to the opened image, drop it exactly over the spot where the target layer is showing. The dragged image will appear as a new layer just over that target layer.

Look at the options of the move tool in the tool palette on the bottom; good to have all three boxes ticked, including 'auto select layer'.

I use the 'place' option whenever I add anything to my layout. I tried the trial version of PSE18 and I didn't like it at all, so I stayed with PSE15. I usually keep the alphas as the top layers and sometimes I merge them. I still have PSE18 on my computer, so I'll open it and add alphas to the layer and will also check the options to see what is checked.

Unfortunately being PSE18 was a trial version, I can't use it as the trial period is over.

Archived