Shadows

Cropalot

I think it depends on the photos, not what's in them...you would have all the photo shadows the same. Now if you are doing extracts or block lettering where you want them to stand out, then you may have to do something different. I hope that helps (and I hope I understand your question!)

I make the shadows with the light coming from the same direction as the shadows in the pictures.  But to me it looks strange to have all the picture with the light coming from one direction and then one picture taken with the light coming from the opposite side. They are all needed to tell the story. I have at times flipped a picture horizontally, but as you know, that won't always work. As a perfectionist, I guess I'm just overly conscious of things like that.  Thank you...maybe I can just relax.

I understand what you’re saying, but if you think of it you are actually scrapping a photo of each object, not the actual object.  So, for instance if you were paper scrapping these same photos, all of them would have the light and shadows coming from the same direction onto the pics.
Now, if you were scrapping photos that were extractions - cut out photos of objects or people - that you then put into one scene together, then I would say that the shadows would be all going in the same direction.    
Because truly when you think of it, you are shadowing the flat edge of a photo/piece of paper.   Not the actual object itself IN the photo.

That’s the way I would see it, if I’m making any sense! :)

Marilyn, you have explained this so very  well.

The shadows on the actual photos and embellishments 99% of the time should all be the same direction. There are instances that you may want the mats or papers to stand out more from the layer beneath so you alter the angle of the shadow for that. 

10 minutes ago, A-M said:

Marilyn, you have explained this so very  well.

The shadows on the actual photos and embellishments 99% of the time should all be the same direction. There are instances that you may want the mats or papers to stand out more from the layer beneath so you alter the angle of the shadow for that. 

Thank you Anne Marie, I’m glad to hear that since you usually know the technical and I was just going by what seemed like common sense thinking - but I really wasn’t sure!
That’s interesting about angling the shadows.  One thing I’ve noticed in PSE is that if I change the angle of a shadow on one piece, it changes to that direction for the entire page, I can’t do it separately for each item.   Maybe it’s different in full PhotoShop?

Marilyn, that is strange as you should be able to alter just one layer unless you have all your layers linked in a group  which I do not think you can do in PSE. I will have a little place in my PSE later today and check on this. 

3 hours ago, MariJ said:

I understand what you’re saying, but if you think of it you are actually scrapping a photo of each object, not the actual object.  So, for instance if you were paper scrapping these same photos, all of them would have the light and shadows coming from the same direction onto the pics.
Now, if you were scrapping photos that were extractions - cut out photos of objects or people - that you then put into one scene together, then I would say that the shadows would be all going in the same direction.    
Because truly when you think of it, you are shadowing the flat edge of a photo/piece of paper.   Not the actual object itself IN the photo.

That’s the way I would see it, if I’m making any sense! :)

Fantastic explanation!

You can link all your layers together in PSE. All of them do get the same shadow in PSE, whether or not you link them. So I have been doing it right all along. it just didn't seem right. And it is true that the photo itself is making the shadows on the paper, not the picture that was taken. Well you all have solved my problem. I will relax. Thank you all.

I have both PSE7 and PSE15 on my computer and I tried in both playing with shadows and it only adds the shadow to the layer you select. It does not change all the layers unless all the layers are linked together. 

Marilyn, if you click or double click ( cannot remember which) on the "fx" a pop will appear where you can alter the angle of the shadow.  I just had a play in my PSE15 and altered the angle of one shadow and it did not change the others. 

Lou Ann, there must be something wrong as they all should  not change when you add a shadow to one layer. If that is happening that means when you add a style... like gold or glitter etc, it  will add it to all layers. That does not  sound good. 

You do have the layer selected and then double click on your shadow style? 

Here is a link to information on the Adobe website that may be helpful:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/layer-styles.html

It does not mention anything about the style affecting all layers. It only affects the layer you choose to add the style to. 

I just had  a good look through the support forum of Adobe for PSE and there seems to be no one else having the problem you are with the shadow style be added to all layers if you only have the one layer selected. 

6 hours ago, A-M said:

I have both PSE7 and PSE15 on my computer and I tried in both playing with shadows and it only adds the shadow to the layer you select. It does not change all the layers unless all the layers are linked together. 

Marilyn, if you click or double click ( cannot remember which) on the "fx" a pop will appear where you can alter the angle of the shadow.  I just had a play in my PSE15 and altered the angle of one shadow and it did not change the others. 

Yes, that’s exactly what I do and it changes all of the shadows in the layout to whatever I do in that layer whether linked or not.

You will all get tired of me sharing things but..... I just discovered Lou Ann what is happening for you.  

Am I correct that you are not using "styles" but are using "effects" for your shadows?  Effects are meant to be used on a single layer and not to have more than one layer open.  The only way to add an effect to a single item on a layout with mulitple layers is to have the layer selected - use the marquee tool to drag an outline around that one photo or embellishment and then double click on your chosen effect or drag the chosen effect onto the item on your open layout or right click on the effect and click on "apply".  

I just played around with a few different effects and not all of them can you use on just one single item if there are more than one layers. I do not have shadows in my effects so I could not try it out.  

2 minutes ago, A-M said:

You will all get tired of me sharing things but..... I just discovered Lou Ann what is happening for you.  

Am I correct that you are not using "styles" but are using "effects" for your shadows?  Effects are meant to be used on a single layer and not to have more than one layer open.  The only way to add an effect to a single item on a layout with mulitple layers is to have the layer selected - use the marquee tool to drag an outline around that one photo or embellishment and then double click on your chosen effect or drag the chosen effect onto the item on your open layout or right click on the effect and click on "apply".  

I just played around with a few different effects and not all of them can you use on just one single item if there are more than one layers. I do not have shadows in my effects so I could not try it out.  

Never tired of you sharing Anne Marie, I learn a lot from you!
Nope, I use “styles” to put my shadow on an item, not effects.

I am hoping that someone else who using PSE all the time will come along. I first started digi using PSE6 and I could do different shadows on different layers and it did not alter any other layers. 

I am going to ask over on the forum of Adobe to see if anyone else is having the problem you are. 

2 minutes ago, A-M said:

I am hoping that someone else who using PSE all the time will come along. I first started digi using PSE6 and I could do different shadows on different layers and it did not alter any other layers. 

I am going to ask over on the forum of Adobe to see if anyone else is having the problem you are. 

I use PSE 13 exclusively, I used to use PSE 6 but didn’t try changing shadow angles then.  It really hadn’t presented a problem since I normally (actually always so far!) want the shadows going in the same direction.  Actually, I sort of thought it was PSE being “smart” and making sure my shadows matched!   I just opened PSE and am going to see if I can find anything out.  

Marilyn, the problem lies in that you might want a deep shadow on a large flower and a small shadow on your photo. Therefore if you add the deep shadow does it alter the photo shadow and it so,  there must be a problem within your program.

6 minutes ago, A-M said:

Marilyn, the problem lies in that you might want a deep shadow on a large flower and a small shadow on your photo. Therefore if you add the deep shadow does it alter the photo shadow and it so,  there must be a problem within your program.

No, I can add different sized shadows to different elements.  It’s only when I go in and click on the FX on one layer and change the ANGLE of that shadow -- that all of the shadow angles on the page change to that same angle.   I can put different shadows on differrent embellishments with no problem.

Okay Marilyn. I just had another play and in my PSE15 I can alter one angle on shadow and it does not affect the others. I will go and play with my PSE7 I have and see what happens.  PSE7 works fine... altered one angle and the others stayed the same as it was. 

I found out why!  It suddendly occured to me that I am using mostly Syndee’s SS Styles: Shadow Me for shadows because there are so many more wonderful options and in two different shades (even though I do know I can change the shade myself).
So I dropped an old layout into PSE and changed the shadow angle (using Shadow Me) on an embellishment, as I did I could see ALL the angles change to the exact same one.
Then I went back and tried with PSE’s Drop Shadows and I was able to change the shadow angles independently.   Syndee must have them set up to be the same angle on a layout since that’s what we’d normally want.
I’m not sure if Lou Ann is using this same style of Syndee’s, but that’s why mine behaved that way

Whew, puzzle is solved, thanks Anne Marie! :)

2 minutes ago, A-M said:

Okay Marilyn. I just had another play and in my PSE15 I can alter one angle on shadow and it does not affect the others. I will go and play with my PSE7 I have and see what happens.  PSE7 works fine... altered one angle and the others stayed the same as it was. 

OOps I think we posted about the same time!  If you look above, you’ll see - mystery solved!  
Thanks for all your trying and thinking, Anne Marie. :)

Marilyn between you and me we solved the problem and I think it would also be Lou Ann problem as well. 

I do not have Syndee's shadows but I do have Ro's old ones on my computer and added that to my PSE15 and sure enough... I added a lovely purple shadow to two different photos and tried to alter the angle of one and it changed the other as well. 

I just installed a set of shadows I bought one time from another designer not SG and they can be altered so it must be how these other designers created their styles that makes them not able to be altered in the angles. 

The default shadows in the program you can alter and the ones I personally use I created myself following some instructions I gained from a online class I took. I can alter those. 

This morphed into a very interesting thread. I use CS5 and Syndee's Shadow Me styles, and when I change the angle of the shadow, all the layers that have that style change, too. Just chiming in as a non-PSE user with the same experience as Marilyn :)

I used Sarah's shadows until Syndee created hers. What I love about Syndee's are that she has a set of grey and a set of brown. And she has things preset for us, like buttons, lace, paper, etc. She has a class to go with it, too.

Archived