Shadows

Cropalot

wow, a wealth of interesting information here, ladies! A-M, you are the bees knees when it comes to researching answers for folks. 

Reading through all the information since I last posted... the outcome is that both Designers... Sarah and Syndee when they created their styles which they would have done in the full version of Photoshop - one of the CS ones, their settings must have been somehow to have all the shadows to work in the same direction once applied on different layers.  You cannot create and save styles in PSE. 

I created my own set of styles in CS6 and it works well in my PSE15 I have on my computer and does not alter if I want one item to have shadows at 45 degrees and another at 120 degrees. 

Marilyn, the shadow styles in the program are not that great to use for scrapbooking but you could play around with them and alter the colour of the shadow and the size but then you cannot save it for next time. 

2 hours ago, Cropalot said:

Sounds good. I wish all things improved. I'm still fighting the fact that in PSE 15, I can't "Open Recently Edited File".

That does not sound right. when you click on "file" can you see the option to choose Open Recently Edited File ? 

If you just click on the arrow beside  the large "Open" does it show the list of recent files? 

Yes, it does, but the most recent file on mine is 12/2/16. Yes, that is 16. And I make at least 450 layouts a year.

When 15 first came out I was online quite a bit trying to find a solution. Everyone was having the problem. No one could come up with a solution! My husband who is now 75, but was in the computer field from 1959...and has been quite the computer expert all his life, was trying to help solve the problem. We thought we had found a solution, but it didn't hold.  I have just been trying to work around it and I mean by that just doing without it...I would get a new version, but from my disappointment with that not getting fixed, I am afraid other bugs might be in newer versions. By the way, my hubby isn't as sharp now as he was in 2016.

3 hours ago, Cropalot said:

Yes, it does, but the most recent file on mine is 12/2/16. Yes, that is 16. And I make at least 450 layouts a year.

When 15 first came out I was online quite a bit trying to find a solution. Everyone was having the problem. No one could come up with a solution! My husband who is now 75, but was in the computer field from 1959...and has been quite the computer expert all his life, was trying to help solve the problem. We thought we had found a solution, but it didn't hold.  I have just been trying to work around it and I mean by that just doing without it...I would get a new version, but from my disappointment with that not getting fixed, I am afraid other bugs might be in newer versions. By the way, my hubby isn't as sharp now as he was in 2016.

So sorry to hear about this and I know from experience about “workarounds”.  They get you going, but are not a solution and for sure a pain...  Adobe and their products are great, but don’t have an issue - there’s no help there.
When I was having all my laptop issues in Oct and couldn’t reinstall PSE I posted on the Adobe Forum and almost immediately someone posted some help! They even have “moderators”  who will answer and they pretty much perservere until you are settled.   Others will jump in too and from what different people suggested I was able to get myself going again.   It’s worth a try if you want and for sure I don’t blame you for not wanting any new “bugs” with a new version.  
On Adobe.com -----
I went to Adobe>Support>Ask the Community 

to ask my question.   It really did end up helping even though all of this is so frustrating and I had to do it myself.  I would just keep posting and people kept answering until finally it worked!

Lou Ann, 

Here is a quote from someone on the Adobe forum that may be helpful: 

" I think the list of max recently edited files is 100 - when you will reach 100 edited files, the list will stop updating...

You can set the number to 100 in Preferences and you will see if you already reached 100 files... "

Now I will share the link to the actual discussion so you can read through it and see if it helps.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2222621

I read the whole thing and as of the last submission, no one had solved the problem. Some were offered their money back, but that is no solution! Since it always worked on versions before, I cannot understand why they can't/won't fix it. 

I've done without it since December of 2016, I will continue...but it has made me a little unsure of Adobe.  And it wastes a lot of my time... The screen shot below tells what it has captured of my files. The big surprise is the one at the top of the list. Strange.

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 10.33.48 PM.png

The other day I did ask in the Adobe forum about PSE13 ( which Marilyn uses) concerning the issue with shadows and I did get a reply:

Tell her to select the object that is to have the drop shadow and place it on a separate layer (CTRL+J). Then, apply the drop shadow to this layer, and refine it via the Style settings dialog.

Interesting. Sounds like it may work. Too busy to try right now.

Thanks to you wonderful ladies, I'm learning from all this chat. I have another thing that has been bothering me. I used to be able to unlock all the layers at once in the layers bin. Now I have to unlock them one at a time? Did I forget how that is done? Or is it not possible PSE 15?

3 hours ago, A-M said:

The other day I did ask in the Adobe forum about PSE13 ( which Marilyn uses) concerning the issue with shadows and I did get a reply:

Tell her to select the object that is to have the drop shadow and place it on a separate layer (CTRL+J). Then, apply the drop shadow to this layer, and refine it via the Style settings dialog.

That’s great information and helpful to know, Anne Marie.   Thanks for looking it up and posting!  :)

2 hours ago, MariJ said:

That’s great information and helpful to know, Anne Marie.   Thanks for looking it up and posting!  :)

I had another reply today even though I had shared the problem was solved when we realised it was the created shadow style from a designer.

Here is the new reply which explains it better:

The issue has to do with whether Global Light is on or off in the Layer Style. Something that unfortunately cannot be turned on/off since version photoshop elements 5.

The Drop Shadow Layer Styles in the Effects>Styles panel have Global Light always turned off

The Drop Shadow Layer Style you get from going to Layer>Layer Style>Style Settings always has Global light on.

10 hours ago, A-M said:

I had another reply today even though I had shared the problem was solved when we realised it was the created shadow style from a designer.

Here is the new reply which explains it better:

The issue has to do with whether Global Light is on or off in the Layer Style. Something that unfortunately cannot be turned on/off since version photoshop elements 5.

The Drop Shadow Layer Styles in the Effects>Styles panel have Global Light always turned off

The Drop Shadow Layer Style you get from going to Layer>Layer Style>Style Settings always has Global light on.

Now that is REALLY interesting!  Who knew?   :)  Thanks, Anne Marie.

Oh, I remember learning about global lighting when I first started! You have to check that so that all your shadows are the same angle and you don't accidentally have different angles and have your projects look weird. I had forgotten all about that...it's strange they took away that option in the newer versions.

Archived