Resizing

As it is a busy overlay I personally think  the best way is to resize to 8 x 8 and then place that onto your 11 x 8 canvas and stretch it out or down .  It will distort the words some but it might still look okay. 

Or... resize to 11 x 11 and then squeeze  it up to be 8 inches.   I am not sure if you are doing landscape or portrait for your layouts. 

Terri, Anne-Marie has good ideas that I would try first. If that distorts it too much, you could try the following: Place the overlay on your page and resize it for the width of your page, keeping the shift key down to retain its original aspect ratio (ie don't distort as you resize). Move the top of that layer so it's right at the top of your layout. Duplicate that layer, and shift the duplicate so it's correctly at the bottom of your layout. Then, using a layer masks (or the eraser brush if you don't know layer masks yet), erase using a hard-edged brush where you clearly have no need of the second layer. In the middle, where you need the two areas to work together well, use a soft-edged brush to erase. The undo key will help you fix mistakes, and of course, if you are using layer masks rather than the erase brush, you can undo to your heart's content by painting in white if you make a mistake.

If the meet-up areas aren't quite perfect, you could always cover it up with a different brush layer - in this case, a snowflake brush would be great.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

8 hours ago, Cheri T said:

Terri, Anne-Marie has good ideas that I would try first. If that distorts it too much, you could try the following: Place the overlay on your page and resize it for the width of your page, keeping the shift key down to retain its original aspect ratio (ie don't distort as you resize). Move the top of that layer so it's right at the top of your layout. Duplicate that layer, and shift the duplicate so it's correctly at the bottom of your layout. Then, using a layer masks (or the eraser brush if you don't know layer masks yet), erase using a hard-edged brush where you clearly have no need of the second layer. In the middle, where you need the two areas to work together well, use a soft-edged brush to erase. The undo key will help you fix mistakes, and of course, if you are using layer masks rather than the erase brush, you can undo to your heart's content by painting in white if you make a mistake.

If the meet-up areas aren't quite perfect, you could always cover it up with a different brush layer - in this case, a snowflake brush would be great.

This is a great idea, I never thought of.  Thanks Cheri!  

12 hours ago, Cheri T said:

Brilliant!  I had never thought of this.

3 hours ago, MariJ said:

This is a great idea, I never thought of.  Thanks Cheri!  

Me either Marilyn!  (lol...I originally typed Marj....not MariJ...I thought that doesn't seem right...some days are better than others LOLOLOL)

5 hours ago, SodScrap said:

Brilliant!  I had never thought of this.

Me either Marilyn!  (lol...I originally typed Marj....not MariJ...I thought that doesn't seem right...some days are better than others LOLOLOL)

You are too funny and make me laugh, Conda!  :rofl:

20 minutes ago, terriscrapper said:

I tried resizing to an 8x8. It distorted it too much. I will try technique above and let you know how it turns out.

If you are resizing to an 8x8 square it shouldn’t distort at all because the ratios remain the same.   It would be in pulling at either length or width that it might distort too much.

If you follow what Cheri said there shouldn’t be distortion either, as she suggests making a copy of the square and moving the second copy to fill your space.  Then you erase the parts in the middle that you don’t need.   It will take a bit of playing, but you should not have any distortion unless you are pulling the length or width of the template.

I’m describing it simply, Cheri explains it more in detail and much better! :)

9 hours ago, MariJ said:

If you are resizing to an 8x8 square it shouldn’t distort at all because the ratios remain the same.   It would be in pulling at either length or width that it might distort too much.

If you follow what Cheri said there shouldn’t be distortion either, as she suggests making a copy of the square and moving the second copy to fill your space.  Then you erase the parts in the middle that you don’t need.   It will take a bit of playing, but you should not have any distortion unless you are pulling the length or width of the template.

I’m describing it simply, Cheri explains it more in detail and much better! :)

Yes, I meant after I dragged it over after making it 8x8 square and then trying to pull it to an 11....too much. I haven't tried this yet...I have a few papers I might want to do this to...I will show you what I come up with...not totally ready to do one yet., but will let you know when I do and how it comes out.

Archived