Tuesday 23rd January Challenge

A-M

For your challenge this week, I personally found it a challenge to create my own page to share.   Now I have possibly got you all thinking what possibly could this challenge be....

This week's challenge is the style of scrapbooking we call   White Space.

White space is all about leaving empty area around your photo, it makes you pay closer attention to that ONE photo. This style of scrapbook layout is great for that ONE very special outstanding photo you want to scrap.
 The challenge today is to create a layout using white space (please remember that does not mean the paper has to be white). White space does not refer to colour. The most effective background paper is a neutral colour which can have texture. If you use a patterned paper it needs to be very lightly patterned. Highly patterned papers do not work well with White Space as they draw your attention away from the photo.  It is best to keep your use of embellishments to  minimal or once again you may draw attention away from that one special photo. 
 Placing a very small cluster or brush  and paint splatter  on an opposite corner or side to your photo can work well. 

Keep in mind that the purpose of White Space is to focus on that one special photo.  The challenge for me personally was that I kept wanting to make my photo and embellishments larger to fill the page more. 

I had a good look through the gallery and want to share 3 out of many lovely White Space type pages there are.

Dady ( Geraldine) is one digi artist whose gallery is full of lovely white space pages and you can find her gallery HERE

But here is one I want to share:Crocus to see a large view go HERE

I found a lovely example in one of our Designer's Gallery - Caroline B but it was not created by Caroline.

It was created by a member of her CT: CAB_Stroke_Collection_LO02.jpg to see a larger view go HERE

I found another great example in the gallery of silvia: forever mine to see a larger view go HERE

When you have created your own White Space layout please share it  in the gallery HERE

Then come back to this thread and let us know so we can admire what you have created. 

12 minutes ago, MariJ said:

Here’s mine:
Winter Sunset

I did not expect you back in the forum until I was snug in bed... you must be up early.  Your page is lovely and there no White Space police here to say you should shrink your photo more. 

34 minutes ago, A-M said:

I did not expect you back in the forum until I was snug in bed... you must be up early.  Your page is lovely and there no White Space police here to say you should shrink your photo more. 

Thanks, Anne Marie!   I’m an early riser so was up right after 5am and I posted right before 6am, my best time to scrap. :)  Good night to you!

Lol.  I just went to my own gallery, and that white space layout I just posted really sticks out, since my layouts are generally pretty busy, with large photos, utilizing most of my space.  Which one is not like the others?  :lol:  One thing I discovered recently that I like, though, is using a somewhat ordinary photo, or a photo that didn’t come out as well - making it smaller and using a lot of white space.  

7 hours ago, Mikelle said:

Lol.  I just went to my own gallery, and that white space layout I just posted really sticks out, since my layouts are generally pretty busy, with large photos, utilizing most of my space.  Which one is not like the others?  :lol:  One thing I discovered recently that I like, though, is using a somewhat ordinary photo, or a photo that didn’t come out as well - making it smaller and using a lot of white space.  

Haha, I laughed at your description of your gallery so poked over into my own and just like you - my white space layout makes all the rest look like some sort of wild carnival!  :rofl:  (Okay and now the “One of These Things is Not Like the Other” Sesame Street song is playing through my head!)
And, I never thought of that, but it’s a great point.  I often have photos that I like but are ordinary, “busy” or not great - awesome idea to use it small with a lot of white space and your layout shows that really well because it looks great!  I’ll have to remember this, thanks! :)

2 hours ago, MariJ said:

Haha, I laughed at your description of your gallery so poked over into my own and just like you - my white space layout makes all the rest look like some sort of wild carnival!  :rofl:  (Okay and now the “One of These Things is Not Like the Other” Sesame Street song is playing through my head!)
And, I never thought of that, but it’s a great point.  I often have photos that I like but are ordinary, “busy” or not great - awesome idea to use it small with a lot of white space and your layout shows that really well because it looks great!  I’ll have to remember this, thanks! :)

The photo I used in my white space layout, there were several photos of the girls or of nature from that day that are beautiful photos.  I kept thinking, no, that's such a good picture, I want to use that as a large blended photo, or really highlight it big on a layout.  So I chose this cute but not spectacular photo for the white space LO, and I think it really did that photo justice.  I need to add more white space layouts to my gallery!

Archived