Layout Positioning for Photo Book

Several of you mentioned about positioning of layouts. I'm very open to thoughts on layouts...I did these because of going from page to page but if you think I would do better please let me know.The sledding would be on left and the shopping on right, instead of the two photos being side by side...also, when the book is put together it shadows at the fold. Make sense? 

Start of Isla_edited final-2.jpg

Isle shopping_edited final-2_edited-1.jpg

On 1/30/2018 at 9:59 PM, lindarobin said:

It may be fun to try a photo that takes up 2/3 and papers+embellies that take up the last 1/3.  This works best when there's unimportant background in the photo where the "fold" ends up.

Or photo is 1/3 and paper is 2/3.

Linda my friend! Can you give me an example please? I have some difficulty with this size.

On 2/3/2018 at 7:53 AM, terriscrapper said:

Linda my friend! Can you give me an example please? I have some difficulty with this size.

These are stunningly beautiful!!  I want mine to look as beautiful. But I'm confused. I don't understand what you mean by fold. I tried redoing this one but not sure it looks any better. I guess I need some help! If I make the papers that small there's no room for any journaling. The photo above with the balloons the photo has nothing really in it... The one with Michigan State I can't make her that big.open to suggestions! I guess I'm wondering if I should just make the paper the larger third. Very confused.5a776323e02a8_StartofIslapossibleredo_editedfinal-2copy_edited-1.thumb.jpg.77f7213e5805848243b832dfa5074198.jpg

Isla Michigan State.jpg

4 hours ago, terriscrapper said:

I don't understand what you mean by fold.

I thought you meant that the left half of each page is the left side of the book, i.e. the book binding (fold) occurs in the middle of the page, like how I split the picture here:

z.jpg

But as you aren't splitting the page into two halves, I really like the Sledding Fun page with more photo!  There's a design principle about thirds that gives a better overall composition.

17 minutes ago, lindarobin said:

I thought you meant that the left half of each page is the left side of the book, i.e. the book binding (fold) occurs in the middle of the page, like how I split the picture here:

z.jpg

But as you aren't splitting the page into two halves, I really like the Sledding Fun page with more photo!  There's a design principle about thirds that gives a better overall composition.

Yes, I'm not ready to split yet!! Sorry for the confusion, Yes the shadow from binder will be on left....I always love the focus on the photo instead of a ton of embellishments. Thank You!! What I had meant overall was I had positioned the photo to the left because that layout will be on left page of photo book, when you see layouts on right, like one with balloon I put it on right or right side of phonebook. I had others mention about being sure everything looks in conjunction....like a photo of her on a scooter, they said not to place it on right because it looked like she was riding off the page, so basically I kind of centered . Hope that makes sense.

4 hours ago, terriscrapper said:

Yes, I'm not ready to split yet!!

I've only done it once myself with a wide panoramic photo.  I found it tricky because I had to guess how much of the photo might get "lost" in the binding since it wasn't a lay-flat style book.  To compensate, I didn't just slice the photo in half, but also duplicated a vertical bit that would end up in the binding.  If you have a really great super-wide photo, it looks awesome all on its own as a "2-page spread".

16 hours ago, lindarobin said:

I've only done it once myself with a wide panoramic photo.  I found it tricky because I had to guess how much of the photo might get "lost" in the binding since it wasn't a lay-flat style book.  To compensate, I didn't just slice the photo in half, but also duplicated a vertical bit that would end up in the binding.  If you have a really great super-wide photo, it looks awesome all on its own as a "2-page spread".

I bet it would! I redid this to look right opposite the sledding photo. The only thing is it seems like the focus is on that big balloon! Also wondering if there's a little distortion in her face.Not sure it looks right....Help!  I tried extracting her and put on solid, I don't really like it.. Am attaching original photo.

Final with Balloon_edited-1.jpg

Another possible Isla_edited-1.jpg

Isla shopping Nordstrum.jpg

4 minutes ago, lindarobin said:

That's a low res copy of the original photo, right?  Unfortunately, if the original photo is low res, her face will be blurry on the print.

Yes, Camera phone pics....should I do something else? I resized it in Photo Zoom ! They all are, what would you suggest I do?

19 minutes ago, lindarobin said:

Yes, photos from the same camera will yield the same quality.  A good camera lens can capture detail whereas a so-so lens will muddy the details.

Example:

zxc.jpg

I see what you are talking about! I have a DSLR, if I lived close I would take photos of her. When I did my scrapbook for sorority I took alot of pics but also was sent alot of I Phone pics....some horrible.

Terry, my suggestion would be that if you only get sent phone camera photos... keep them smaller on your layouts and that way the blurred look will not be so noticeable. 

You could use filters like from Topaz that would make the photo clearer but they are not cheap filters to buy and I am not sure what software you are using to able to use purchased filters. 

5 hours ago, A-M said:

Terry, my suggestion would be that if you only get sent phone camera photos... keep them smaller on your layouts and that way the blurred look will not be so noticeable. 

You could use filters like from Topaz that would make the photo clearer but they are not cheap filters to buy and I am not sure what software you are using to able to use purchased filters. 

I appreciate your help!!

3 hours ago, lindarobin said:

If I were to print a layout, I would do as Anne-Marie suggests.  I would keep the photos small and have six or more of those phone pics on the page.

I perhaps might consider doing that....not sure, I've never grouped events together before.. usually I go by age in succession...I am going to attach one I did last year but of course, its one event. certainly sledding and pool party doesn't work together! Ha! .any suggestions how you would title ?I could do the masks on some of photos I have then...may not flow as well but........

start of Sarah and Mom.jpg

Archived