Do You Use A Wacom

angleigh

So who out there uses one?  I've had 1 sitting on my shelf forever and I think what confused me was all the buttons on it that I had no clue what they did.

Since it was dark/gloomy yesterday I spent a few hours on Youtube watching video's on how to set it up and OMG this thing is amazing and the things it does is incredible.

The best thing, I was able to set up one of the shortcut keys to scroll through blending modes.  Hello!!!!  That is like the best shortcut in the world.

So who uses one?  Which one do you use? Is there a dream one you would like?

I have a Intuos Pro (small size) I actually got as a gift many years ago and it's sat on the shelf collecting dust for awhile.  My dream one would be the Cintiq

I have a Wacom Bamboo. I never set up all the bells and whistles but I I do use the pen. I can't scrap without it. I recently thought I should really look into setting it up to use the buttons and such. Unfortunately the driver is out of date and I couldn't find an update. I think Wacom stopped making the one I have. I do wish I had a big working area but I make it work.

I have the Intuos Pro that I won at SG a few years back. I've never used it and it's been on my shelf in the closet collecting dust too Angie. I think I'll check out YouTube and see what videos they've got to help me learn how to use it.

I have a Wacom Bamboo but have not used it at all since we moved. I was learning it before we moved because I stayed in all winter...no such thing here so I never have downtime. I just got it out of the drawer so will try it again. I will need to take a refresher class at Youtube University! Thanks so much for the inspiration to start learning something new again.

I have a Wacom Bamboo fun which is great for small tiny details like when extracting but I aways forget to use it so only have a few times!  It’s an older version not made anymore and now I see that with my “new” 2 year old laptop it’s not supported so doesn’t work with it.  I should check to see if there’s been an update, last I read they were talking about doing that.
I never used the buttons or shortcuts, just the actual pen.
I’d been looking at a newer version “Intuos Draw” and could kick myself for not buying it when it went to $69 on Amazon a few months ago.  Now I see there’s a newer version - “Wacom Intuos”.   

If I won the Wacom/tablet lottery I’d probably still just want the basic model since I rarely remember to use it!  Then again - who knows, if I had a “better” product maybe I would!

One thing I’ve wondered about is if there is a way to attach my iPad Pro (which has the Apple pencil to draw with) to my Macbook Pro and use the iPad as a tablet?   Because since I have the iPad it seems silly to have yet another tablet.   I looked online and there seemed a few (kind of confusing) ways to do this and one involved an App you could buy but I was dubious as to how that would work.

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about using your tablet as a drawing tablet?

3 hours ago, lorac said:

I have the Intuos Pro that I won at SG a few years back. I've never used it and it's been on my shelf in the closet collecting dust too Angie. I think I'll check out YouTube and see what videos they've got to help me learn how to use it.

I used a variety of video's, I also looked at shortcuts for PS/PSE and out of that just figured out what I used the most. 

The cool thing with the Intuos is that you can set up the buttons to do different things in different programs.  So the button that I set up to change blending modes in PS, I can change it to do something different in Lightroom or on a browser.

38 minutes ago, angleigh said:

I'm not an apple person...lol  Everyone else in my house has the iphone, or ipad and I have my Samsung.  So i'm not sure how it's done.  But it does look like there's a ton of options here using apps

Thanks Angie - the AstroPad App is the one I’d read about so maybe it’s worth looking into!  The others are interesting, I’m going to read it more closely because I want the iPad to be a tablet, not a monitor.

Great info, THANK you!

PS and you’re right.   Some “kid” can probably tell me what to do AND set it up in 2 minutes flat!   :rofl:

I have 3. Intuos Pro the large one, for my iMac, a medium Intuos for my laptop, and i was just given a smaller one that needs a battery. I’ve never seen one like that, and I fot no battery with it. It would be nice to travel with the smallest one. I don’t wven know where my mouse is. I just use my Wacom. So happy you’re finally ‘breaking out’.I’ve been using mi e for 7-8 years. Can not live iwthout it. Just one warning, don’t think you can stir your coffee with the pen... um it won’t work after that. And it costs a bunch to replace.

4 minutes ago, BetC said:

I use my Bamboo for everything. Rarely use a mouse.

I wish I could get used to it to use on a regular basis, I just don't feel I have control over where i'm at on my computer.  I know it would get better with practice though

I put my mouse on a table where I had to get up to use it when I decided to learn to use the tablet. It really didn't take long at all. I sat down at my old computer the other day (rarely fire it up) and had to remember how to use the mouse. It was HARD!

I did use it when it was more readily available. I gave my large Intuos Pro to Charlotte because I didn't really have a place for it once I reconfigured my desk set-up. Thomas bought her a Wacom Mobile Studio Pro (yes, he is a very generous brother) since she creates some of the graphics for his Roblox games, so I suppose I could have brought it home with me.

So if you have a Intuos Pro here's some things I learned or setting I used:

touch options: I turned that off.  the reason is alot of times my hand hits the writing spot.  When I had touch options on, it interfered with what I was doing

Pen:  I have the top button my "undo" button and the bottom on is set for my hand tool.  So when I have my move tool selected I can move around objects.

Function Buttons - this one has 6 buttons  so I have them set for this:  brush (I click it and it automatically go to my brush tool), clipping mask, resize, duplicate, spot healing (I use this alot for photos) and 1 for the alt key.  I did that one so when i'm using a brush I can just press it and choose the color I want the brush to be from my item (again use alot in photos)

Now this one also has a touch ring in the center.  It allows for 4 shortcuts on it.  1 is set for scroll/zoom, 1 brush size, 1 blend modes.  The 4th one is not set because I can't think of anything to set it as..lol

I have a Wacom Intuos 4

I was using it all the time for my digital scrapbooking but recently my trigger thumb has returned and causing pain when holding the pen but I still use it for the short cuts I have set up on it and hope to go back to using the pen.  

8 hours ago, beatricemi said:

Can you use a tablet with pse or do you need the big ps?"

I used mine with PSE.  I think you can use a tablet with most anything as it really techinically is only a “substitute” mouse! 
(Correct me if I’m wrong everyone!  :rofl:)

1 hour ago, beatricemi said:

Maybe I'm thinking of using it for extractions. Can you do that in PSE? I do have an old bamboo somewhere. It probably isn't compatible with my version of PSE (14).

Yes!   That’s exactly what I used mine for and it was so much easier than a touchpad (which I have).   With the pen you just drew around whatever you were extracting and could get so much more precise and exact.  It was worth it just for that, SOooooo much easier!

PS Check the website for your tablet, it’s what I need to do because now my computer is too “new” for mine.  But, often there are driver updates that might work with yours.  I don’t think your version of PSE makes a difference at all because that’s just the program you are working in WITH the tablet.

Truly, the tablet is just a “mouse-made-into-a-pen”.   It doesn’t do any extra magic; just gives you a different option than a mouse and makes somet things so much easier! :)
I’d say dig yours out, plug it in and see what happens!

Another thing to know, you have replacement nibs in the little round stand you pen rests in. The nibs over time gets a bit blunt, and you either turn it around, or replace it with one of the other nibs. I learned this the hard way. My mid size wacom, i thre the stand away.....and my pen i to water. Expensive lesson.

21 hours ago, angleigh said:

So if you have a Intuos Pro here's some things I learned or setting I used:

touch options: I turned that off.  the reason is alot of times my hand hits the writing spot.  When I had touch options on, it interfered with what I was doing

Pen:  I have the top button my "undo" button and the bottom on is set for my hand tool.  So when I have my move tool selected I can move around objects.

Function Buttons - this one has 6 buttons  so I have them set for this:  brush (I click it and it automatically go to my brush tool), clipping mask, resize, duplicate, spot healing (I use this alot for photos) and 1 for the alt key.  I did that one so when i'm using a brush I can just press it and choose the color I want the brush to be from my item (again use alot in photos)

Now this one also has a touch ring in the center.  It allows for 4 shortcuts on it.  1 is set for scroll/zoom, 1 brush size, 1 blend modes.  The 4th one is not set because I can't think of anything to set it as..lol

I use the pen’s bottom button for my right click function.

I've had the old Bamboo Fun forever, and really love it.

Yes, Angie, it takes time to get really comfortable with the pen, but once you are, you won't want to look back. 

I should look and see if I can program one of my 2 buttons to scroll through blending modes - that would be way cool!

On 3/30/2018 at 6:40 PM, angleigh said:

Call me crazy, I just broke down and bought the new Intous Paper Pro.  I love the idea of being able to draw on it and it going straight to my computer.  Can't wait to get it out of the box!

I have a Bamboo...from YEARS ago.  I'd like to upgrade...

Archived