Digital Planners...Bujo...Have you heard???

SodScrap

Okay...I am going to try to make a list of the apps necessary.

iPad:

• Goodnotes (or other pdf annotating app) This is the app where your planner will "live"  ($7.99)
  • Procreate a layers-enabled graphic app (think PSE light for tablet) in which you can create items for your planner (9.99)  It also has brushes and blending modes (I believe)
  • Magic eraser does just that, erases
  • AnyFont may be necessary if you want to install other fonts

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After you started this thread I did a brief search on Pinterest. I found a tutorial on using Evernote. I didn't really have time to read it thoroughly but it kept saying you had to do part of it on your computer. I think I forgot to pin it. I may do a little surfing to see what I can come up with, though really I think I'll wait what pops up here.

1 hour ago, SodScrap said:

iPad:

• Goodnotes (or other pdf annotating app) This is the app where your planner will "live"  ($7.99)
  • Procreate a layers-enabled graphic app (think PSE light for tablet) in which you can create items for your planner (9.99)  It also has brushes and blending modes (I believe)

Thanks, Conda!  I have Procreate on my iPad already - it’s a drawing app and does have layers!   Unless the planner uses a different version of Procreate?   I will look later to see if it has blending modes, I also have a manual for it that I downloaded from the Procreate site.

I know that you can also annotate in the “Notes” app on iPad;  my High School cousin uses it a lot!

1 minute ago, MariJ said:

Thanks, Conda!  I have Procreate on my iPad already - it’s a drawing app and does have layers!   Unless the planner uses a different version of Procreate?   I will look later to see if it has blending modes, I also have a manual for it that I downloaded from the Procreate site.

I know that you can also annotate in the “Notes” app on iPad;  my High School cousin uses it a lot!

Procreate is just used too create things to use in the planner.  They call everything "stickers"-liken to our embellishments.  In procreate you could draw something, save as a png and then use it in your planner.  Why do all that work when we have all these scrapping files??  :D  You can turn your hand drawn items into stickers using Procreate as well.  I do not think Notes can be used to "house" the entire planner.  If that makes sense???   

On 5/18/2018 at 9:46 AM, SodScrap said:

iPad:

I installed iFont which was free, not sure about AnyFont.

I also installed PDF to Image (free!) which can turn your freebie sheets (lots of places out there) into a PNG. Magic eraser (set to about 10% sensitivity) will erase the backgrounds from that png so you can crop and insert.

Look at me being all knowledgeable when this time yesterday I was tearing my hair out! :rofl:

On 5/18/2018 at 8:59 AM, MariJ said:

I’m sorry, I still don’t really understand the whole journal thing, could you please advise what to search for so I can really see it?

And, Becky I’m wondering what it is you want to do - import what you create on your computer into the iPad?  I was going to try searching for an answer but realized I’m not sure what it is you can/want to do!  

Being away from home (at my sister’s) is wonderful but I think my brain is on vacation too and my computer time is all mixed up!  

I finally figured it out! I had started my journal in a Windows program and apparently Good Notes can't open that file correctly. Once I uploaded the original journal file (with nothing added) I was able to finally get things working. I was faced with having to add everything again, but someone in a FB group suggested that I just screen-cap my original pages, crop them, and paste them in to the new journal.

Lifesaver!!! I did that this morning and it worked perfectly!

Interesting point made by someone in one of the digital planner groups on FB:

Re: using scrapping supplies, they are 300 dpi so maybe we should edit that before using in our planners, soice the planners exist on an iPad or Tablet, that's going to be taking up a lot of room.

19 hours ago, Becster said:

Interesting point made by someone in one of the digital planner groups on FB:

Re: using scrapping supplies, they are 300 dpi so maybe we should edit that before using in our planners, soice the planners exist on an iPad or Tablet, that's going to be taking up a lot of room.

Although now that I've had some sleep I realize that my journal and stickers, etc. live in my DropBox account so that I can access it from anywhere. So I guess that won't be a problem for me. I only store the ones there that I plan to use, not entire kits. My SG supplies even have their own folder. ^_^

5 hours ago, Becster said:

Although now that I've had some sleep I realize that my journal and stickers, etc. live in my DropBox account so that I can access it from anywhere. So I guess that won't be a problem for me. I only store the ones there that I plan to use, not entire kits. My SG supplies even have their own folder. ^_^

Wow, you are really on this, Becky and thanks for the tips!
I hope we get to see one of your pages soon.    

22 minutes ago, Becster said:

So? Has anyone else taken this on? How’s it going?

Im slowly making progress with the new software I’m using. Will post photo in a bit. :)

I am reluctant to admit that I still can’t quite understand how this all works and looks.   So, I’ll be happy to see your photos, thanks Becky.   And yay you for perservering and figuring it out, should be helpful for the rest of us.  

9 hours ago, Becster said:

Here’s next week. I made the trackers, the flamingos and matching water tracker are from an Etsy site a long time ago.

E845EB21-FCDE-4042-99F3-56A462AF9875.jpeg

Oh, now that’s really cool and very pretty.   The flamingo is so cute and the water tracker really shows up so well.  I can see where you were able to write with your own handwriting using the Apple pencil, that’s so neat.   So, you create this on your computer and then use the planner pages on your iPad?   Your planner is so cheerful and I am seeing where this could be fun.   Thanks so much for posting I can’t wait to see more, I’m understanding it much better now.    Really great job on this.

1 hour ago, Becster said:

I didn't create the planer, it was premade. The work comes in learning the software and how to add things to it. I'm using GoodNotes. 

Ok, got it - sorta.   Sorry for so many questions but do you add thing to the planner on your computer? iPad?  Or both?   Can you do this entirely on the iPad or do you need to do things on the computer and then move it over?

Thanks for being so patient Becky.   

32 minutes ago, Becster said:

I have to do it on my iPad because GoodNotes is not a Windows program. Xodo is for Win/Android but the files won't open properly in GoodNotes.

Thanks Becky, that makes it easier as I thikn if I had to go back and forth, I probably wouldn’t try.
Ok, my next job is to look into GoodNotes, I’ve never used it.

On 6/2/2018 at 8:32 PM, Becster said:

Here’s next week. I made the trackers, the flamingos and matching water tracker are from an Etsy site a long time ago.

E845EB21-FCDE-4042-99F3-56A462AF9875.jpeg

Super cute Becky!!

I have decided (at this point) the daily use of the digital planner is not for me, for how I use my daily lists/notes.  (I have a lot to write down in the course of some days)  With that said, I need to learn to write (so it's legible, lol) on my iPad!!  For my "dailys" I use two pages.  The left page is my to-do list, the right page is a notes page where I write down calls, notes regarding tasks etc.  

I do think I will try to set it up as a "control journal" (of sorts, not sure what to call it) with my "regularly scheduled things".  Maybe tracking routines and such, this would be such a big help, letting me see it.  I can see utilizing it in this way effectively for now.

Honestly, there is no way I could get my whole week on a "weekly".  For instance, I already have 13 to-dos on today's list, and it's only 7:30.  this doesn't include what I will have to take care of along the way as my phone rings/e-mails come in.  

On 5/26/2018 at 11:44 AM, Becster said:

I have wondered about this.  Storing your supplies in "the cloud" does save space on your device, although if you set them up in your sticker book then they live in that environment taking up space.  Correct?  And then when they are added to the planner, again, more space??  

22 hours ago, MariJ said:

Ok, got it - sorta.   Sorry for so many questions but do you add thing to the planner on your computer? iPad?  Or both?   Can you do this entirely on the iPad or do you need to do things on the computer and then move it over?

Thanks for being so patient Becky.   

21 hours ago, Becster said:

I have to do it on my iPad because GoodNotes is not a Windows program. Xodo is for Win/Android but the files won't open properly in GoodNotes.

You CAN use your computer and tablet both.  (just has to be set up to sync etc...)  However, they have to be in the same format (Mac or Windows/Android) and not all functionality is available on the computer.  Most of the work would be done on your iPad.  It's like making layouts, just using your iPad and a different program.  (in a basic basic way if that helps you understand)  This has probably confused you more than it has helped.  You are welcome for that...LOL

1 hour ago, SodScrap said:

You CAN use your computer and tablet both.  (just has to be set up to sync etc...)  However, they have to be in the same format (Mac or Windows/Android) and not all functionality is available on the computer.  Most of the work would be done on your iPad.  It's like making layouts, just using your iPad and a different program.  (in a basic basic way if that helps you understand)  This has probably confused you more than it has helped.  You are welcome for that...LOL

No, makes even more sense Conda - thank you.   It’s much easier to do things on my laptop, but I don’t want to add more to the hardrive or have to do in one place and change to another.   I’d like to DO more (& learn to do more) on my iPad so what you said makes sense.   I’m just not sure how you use SG materials - do you then import them from the laptop where they are now?  I have all Apple products so could even AirDop (LOVE that feature).

So, what I understand from what Becky and you have said, I’d create the planner on my ipad in GoodNotes and any SG materials I’d want to add I’d import in?
Then, I’m assuming if I wanted a copy of the planner on my laptop I could AirDrop (or whatever) a finished copy to it?

Am I finally sorta-almost getting this?

15 minutes ago, MariJ said:

No, makes even more sense Conda - thank you.   It’s much easier to do things on my laptop, but I don’t want to add more to the hardrive or have to do in one place and change to another.   I’d like to DO more (& learn to do more) on my iPad so what you said makes sense.   I’m just not sure how you use SG materials - do you then import them from the laptop where they are now?  I have all Apple products so could even AirDop (LOVE that feature).

So, what I understand from what Becky and you have said, I’d create the planner on my ipad in GoodNotes and any SG materials I’d want to add I’d import in?
Then, I’m assuming if I wanted a copy of the planner on my laptop I could AirDrop (or whatever) a finished copy to it?

Am I finally sorta-almost getting this?

Essentially, yes!

Don't you LOVE Airdrop?? I'm not sure that would work as easily for this.  I have the SG supplies that I want to use in my Dropbox or iCloud.  It is simple to open those files and drag them into Goodnotes.  You wouldn't have your "entire SG library" available...because who has that much cloud space?  LOL  But for instance, if you have a specific collection you want to use for June, you could save it in your cloud server, then have it for the month.  Delete next month when you change collections.

I don't think you would have to reshare the planner.  If you have Goodnotes syncing you should have it on your computer as well.  I have not done this yet, so I am not certain exactly how that would work/look.  

I am with you on learning more on my iPad and this is a great way to do it.  So much is similar to what we do already it's sort of just going about it differently.  

Well I happened across a wonderful YouTube video showing how to start a digital bujo. Now to decide if I would actually use. I just don’t have a lot going on in my life that I actually need to keep track of but they look so cool ?. Decisions decisions.........

On 6/9/2018 at 10:33 PM, ladyscrapalot said:

Well I happened across a wonderful YouTube video showing how to start a digital bujo. Now to decide if I would actually use. I just don’t have a lot going on in my life that I actually need to keep track of but they look so cool ?. Decisions decisions.........

On 6/9/2018 at 11:09 PM, Becster said:

Neither do I, but it's entertaining! My main calendar is on the fridge and the wall in my office upstairs, but I'm having fun with this and learning new programs.

A lot of people use it for journaling and tracking more than actual appointments and to do lists.  I do not think mine will be for daily task lists because I'm not quick enough/good enough at writing on my iPad yet (or ever!!).  I do think it will be a fun creative outlet that can look very different for each user.  

8 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

A lot of people use it for journaling and tracking more than actual appointments and to do lists.  I do not think mine will be for daily task lists because I'm not quick enough/good enough at writing on my iPad yet (or ever!!).  I do think it will be a fun creative outlet that can look very different for each user.  

I'm leaning towards giving it a go. I like the creative aspect of it and as you said you can use it for more than tracking appointments. Now that I have found that youtube video I have a starting point. Just have to look into that writing tool you mentioned earlier in this thread. ^_^

2 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

I'm leaning towards giving it a go. I like the creative aspect of it and as you said you can use it for more than tracking appointments. Now that I have found that youtube video I have a starting point. Just have to look into that writing tool you mentioned earlier in this thread. ^_^

You can also use another program to type what you want to journal (or whatever) and then save it and open it in the planner/bujo/whatever you call it.  You have to save it as a .png file where you can access it.  (some use their device, others a cloud service).  At this point, these are called "a sticker" and it can be sized in your planner.  I know this totally makes a lot of sense!  :blink:

Ok, I am loving this idea more and more.   I want to do more (& especially) creative things on my iPad and use the pencil more, but I use iCal so don’t want to start with another calendar and have two, you know how that goes.....   But, I love the idea of a journal, notes, drawings, etc for each day or week or whatever...  I’m getting more and more sold.

And, Conda?   Is it sad if it DOES "totally makes a lot of sense!  :blink:“???  

I was looking up Goodnotes and trying to figure out how to use it before buying...  Going slowly here, but that’s my usual speed...