Digital Planners...Bujo...Have you heard???

SodScrap

On 5/17/2018 at 10:24 AM, angleigh said:

Ok..this is something I might actually follow.  I'm not a journal person, but a digital version is something that interest me. 

The only thing that may hinder me though is i'm not a Mac person.  I have an ipad pro and apple pencil (my boys got new ones from their grandparent for Christmas so I bought Colby's old one..that was barely a year old) but i'm PC/Android for the rest.  I know it would be great if your a Mac person, because you can share it with all your devices easily.  But not sure if there's a way to do that from Mac to PC.  

And no Conda...i'm not going all Mac yet.  LOL

You can easily save things to Google Drive (or similar) from an iPad and then access them from your computer. The google drive app is compatible on my iPad (both my newer one and my 5-year-old model. 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: So I have some planner pages that I bought from the store, I think from Syndee and Amanda. Am I able to use these if I purchase the Goodnotes app? The youtube video tutorial I found also used the Keynote app to start the basic planner. Would I add them in the Keynote app or after I pulled the basic planner into the Goodnote app?

11 hours ago, JenniferZ said:

You can easily save things to Google Drive (or similar) from an iPad and then access them from your computer. The google drive app is compatible on my iPad (both my newer one and my 5-year-old model. 

Google Drive and Dropbox both work well, along with iCloud.  

5 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Question: So I have some planner pages that I bought from the store, I think from Syndee and Amanda. Am I able to use these if I purchase the Goodnotes app? The youtube video tutorial I found also used the Keynote app to start the basic planner. Would I add them in the Keynote app or after I pulled the basic planner into the Goodnote app?

Yes, Kelly.  I hope Becky comes along to clarify the process.  I know those .png can be saved "to the cloud" (whichever one you chose) and then opened in your good GoodNotes and/or GoodNotes Planner.  There may be more steps to it.  Also, it would depend on if you have purchased a planner or are creating your own.   Again...I am deferring to Becky.  I'm knee-deep in work mode and sometimes I can't change gears to "digital planner mode" if I don't have it right in front of me.  

28 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

Yes, Kelly.  I hope Becky comes along to clarify the process.  I know those .png can be saved "to the cloud" (whichever one you chose) and then opened in your good GoodNotes and/or GoodNotes Planner.  There may be more steps to it.  Also, it would depend on if you have purchased a planner or are creating your own.   Again...I am deferring to Becky.  I'm knee-deep in work mode and sometimes I can't change gears to "digital planner mode" if I don't have it right in front of me.  

I'll try! I'm using a pre-made planner, and new to Apple programs, so ... Any purchased pages I have I add in GoodNotes. This is mostly because I have yet to figure out Keynote. I go to the page where I want them, then choose "add image" and then find where I saved it. For me, that's in Dropbox. It pastes over the existing page and can be resized to fit. (ie, cover over what's already there.)

I hope this helps. I'm doing a lot in PSE 9 on my PC, saving to Dropbox, then importing on my iPad. It's just so much easier for me since I already know the program. I've used a paper planner (cheap composition book!) for several years and last night got brave enough to re-create my usual layout in PSE9. I was able to import it into my digital journal. Yay me! LOL

I have a couple of things I want to add to it, but it will be something familiar for me to use.

2 minutes ago, Becster said:

I'll try! I'm using a pre-made planner, and new to Apple programs, so ... Any purchased pages I have I add in GoodNotes. This is mostly because I have yet to figure out Keynote. I go to the page where I want them, then choose "add image" and then find where I saved it. For me, that's in Dropbox. It pastes over the existing page and can be resized to fit. (ie, cover over what's already there.)

I hope this helps. I'm doing a lot in PSE 9 on my PC, saving to Dropbox, then importing on my iPad. It's just so much easier for me since I already know the program. I've used a paper planner (cheap composition book!) for several years and last night got brave enough to re-create my usual layout in PSE9. I was able to import it into my digital journal. Yay me! LOL

I have a couple of things I want to add to it, but it will be something familiar for me to use.

So you can create a planner page (think of it like a layout) in PSE/PS and save it as a .png file and then open in your planner/GoodNotes.  This makes the possibilities endless with your scrapping files!!  I'm with you Becky, it's quicker to create in my native program than on my iPad, but that will come with time and learning the new programs/apps.

47 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

10 minutes ago, Becster said:

4 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

So you can create a planner page (think of it like a layout) in PSE/PS and save it as a .png file and then open in your planner/GoodNotes.  This makes the possibilities endless with your scrapping files!!  I'm with you Becky, it's quicker to create in my native program than on my iPad, but that will come with time and learning the new programs/apps.

1 minute ago, Becster said:

I've been saving as a jpg rather than a transparent png, that way any existing lines don't show through.

Speaking of pngs, I have a different question about those but I"ll put it in a new reply. ?

Thank you Conda and Becky!! This has helped me a lot. I did like using a habit tracker and I truly need to get myself a little more organized. I waste a lot of precious time of procrastinating so perhaps (maybe?) this might, kinda, sorta help? lol!! At least it would be fun to play with. The cost of Goodnote is about the same as paper planner and like digi scrapping easy to start over.

PNG files and "stickers"

How do I create a page where each individual "sticker" is movable/selectable? I asked about this last night on FB, but never really got an answer.

Example: The designer of the planner I'm using sells pages of stickers that when imported into GoodNotes, you can use the lasso tool to select a single sticker, then copy and paste it onto your planner. When I try that, only the entire page will select and paste.

My workaround solution has been to open the page I want in PSE, copy out each image on the sheet and save as an individual file. Ugh. So time consuming.

15 minutes ago, Becster said:

I've been saving as a jpg rather than a transparent png, that way any existing lines don't show through.

Speaking of pngs, I have a different question about those but I"ll put it in a new reply. ?

Oh, good point.  Depends on how you want to use it whether it should be .jpg or .png.

10 minutes ago, Becster said:

PNG files and "stickers"

How do I create a page where each individual "sticker" is movable/selectable? I asked about this last night on FB, but never really got an answer.

Example: The designer of the planner I'm using sells pages of stickers that when imported into GoodNotes, you can use the lasso tool to select a single sticker, then copy and paste it onto your planner. When I try that, only the entire page will select and paste.

My workaround solution has been to open the page I want in PSE, copy out each image on the sheet and save as an individual file. Ugh. So time consuming.

So...are you wanting to create sticker pages for your sticker book so then you can just grab individual stickers for your pages?  (oh, some of this new lingo is confusing!!)  My question is then, does it behave differently in the "sticker book" than in your actual planner?  

3 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

So...are you wanting to create sticker pages for your sticker book so then you can just grab individual stickers for your pages?  (oh, some of this new lingo is confusing!!)  My question is then, does it behave differently in the "sticker book" than in your actual planner?  

No, it behaves the same since both are in GoodNotes. I think Kara holds the secret to this amazing bit of technology!  ?

7 minutes ago, Becster said:

No, it behaves the same since both are in GoodNotes. I think Kara holds the secret to this amazing bit of technology!  ?

Have you searched YouTube?  SURELY the answer is out there!!

I wish I had the time to play in this.  I saw your other post, and I know she said you export as a GoodNotes file, which seems simple, but obviously is not.

23 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

I found a YouTube video of how to start your own planner. She started with the Keynote app and the brought it into Goodnotes. I didn’t know if I was allowed to post it here. 

I think this Keynote is the key here??  It is my understanding it has the export feature for GoodNote files.  Boy.  I wish we were all sitting at a table together in real life.  How much easier it would be to share and learn!!

I just looked and I have the Key Note app.  I will take my iPad with me when we leave (after UPS FINALLY gets here...) and try playing around with it.

Becky, before your iPad and Apple Pencil, what did you use as a smart pen with your Android tablet?  AND, is there a HUGE difference with the Apple Pencil vs Smart Pen?  I sat down last night to doodle w/Procreate and the brush pen brush.  My pen is not pressure sensitive. ? I have an iPad mini (which I LOVE) but it is not Apple Pencil compatible.  I would have to upgrade my iPad.  

33 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

I just looked and I have the Key Note app.  I will take my iPad with me when we leave (after UPS FINALLY gets here...) and try playing around with it.

Becky, before your iPad and Apple Pencil, what did you use as a smart pen with your Android tablet?  AND, is there a HUGE difference with the Apple Pencil vs Smart Pen?  I sat down last night to doodle w/Procreate and the brush pen brush.  My pen is not pressure sensitive. ? I have an iPad mini (which I LOVE) but it is not Apple Pencil compatible.  I would have to upgrade my iPad.  

I never had a pen or stylus with my Android tablet. I only used it for games, Facebook, and my Kindle books. My Apple Pencil is my first foray into using anything like this. I had a stylus for my Galaxy Note 5 phone, but it went missing a long time ago.

Oh, I am getting more and more excited reading these posts, but still a bit timid to dive in and start trying.  I have Keynote on all my Apple devices including laptop but have never even opened it and I’ve been a Mac for over 10 years.   I’m not even sure what it does.    ?
So sorry for all the questions, but - do you need to use both Keynote and Goodnotes or can you use either/or exclusively?   I’m a little confused because I was always told Keynote was for presentations, the “powerpoint” of Apple.

What I’m interested in doing is making and using the planner on my iPad.  Could I create the entire thing there or is this where Becky and Conda are saying it’s easier to create in your usual program that you’re used to and then import and use as a planner on iPad?  

Once I had, say Goodnotes on my iPad I would then need the planner pieces which I could supplement with SG items?   Or would I be able to only use Keynote since I already have it and not even bother with Goodnotes?  Is there an advantage to either?

And GUESS what?  I just reread through this entire thread since it’s all starting to make more sense and looked and sww that I already have Syndee’s planner already.  So THIS is what I could use in Goodnotes?
And - another question.  I’ve been watching Boho Berry Videos on YouTube and saw planners like yours Becky.  I love how you can use the tabs on the planners for the different categories, I wondered that!   But, if I used a set like below, would it have tabs or pages?   Does that come in Goodnotes or in the actual planner you use?

I’m really getting psyched and understanding more now that I’m watching videos.
SNU_SSCal_PlannerStarter_MKTG.jpg.1f4364dcf5cad959849b43eb3fb90a26.jpg

5 hours ago, SodScrap said:

I think this Keynote is the key here??  It is my understanding it has the export feature for GoodNote files.  Boy.  I wish we were all sitting at a table together in real life.  How much easier it would be to share and learn!!

Me too!  That would be awesome to be together.   I wonder if we could use the chat room sometime if we all had things to discuss?   I’m still too confused for that yet!

5 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

I found a YouTube video of how to start your own planner. She started with the Keynote app and the brought it into Goodnotes. I didn’t know if I was allowed to post it here. 

Kelly, I think that as long as the Video isn’t a link or advertisment to a store selling Digital Scrapping supplies, it’s ok.  Is that right Conda?

14 hours ago, SodScrap said:

I’ve never used a stylus or other pencil, but I can tell you the Apple pencil is pretty amazing.  It truly does act like a real pencil (or pen or brush if in an art program) - for instance, if drawing in Procreate with a pencil, you can turn it sideways to shade as you would with a real pencil.   It also really has no lag time in drawing, it draws or writes instantly as you do.
Another amazing feature is you can lean your hand or finger on the iPad while writing and it won’t make a mark - only the pencil will.
And, if you press hard, just like a real pencil your marks will be darker and thicker.   Press lightly and the lines are thinner and lighter.  I haven’t done a lot of drawing with it but it’s really very cool.  

18 hours ago, Becster said:

PNG files and "stickers"

Becky, I don’t know if this helps or is what you mean, but I was watching this VIDEO last night about stickers. 

13 hours ago, MariJ said:

Me too!  That would be awesome to be together.   I wonder if we could use the chat room sometime if we all had things to discuss?   I’m still too confused for that yet!

Kelly, I think that as long as the Video isn’t a link or advertisment to a store selling Digital Scrapping supplies, it’s ok.  Is that right Conda?

Well if it's okay I'll post it. If not let me know and I can delete it right away. It's kind of long but it was very helpful. At least for me. Video.  

Just have a quick minute...hope I don't miss comments.

YES!  The chatroom is an awesome idea-glad you thought of that!!

Marilyn-Keynotes...I have it too but when I opened it (for the first time) yesterday, I was like "it's a video program, what???"...so I didn't see an "export to goodnotes file" option as I expected.  This is the extent of my Keynotes program.  ?  I wondered if it is Notes and NOT Keynotes?  Oh...I really have no idea.

Becky and I have purchased digital planners (which are used in GoodNotes) that we can then customize.  They have tabs and links (like in the video you showed, Marilyn) BUT...the fun is we can customize those using our digi supplies.  You could use the templates you showed on the pages already in the planner (or add new).  So it's like the "bones" of the planner are there for us, no figuring out linking (tabs) etc.

Kelly-that video shows creating a planner from scratch (haven't had time to look at it) and looks awesome-more involved that I am at this moment (since I purchased a planner)-BUT-maybe it has the clue for Becky to save files as GoodNotes files!  

AND...maybe...JUST MAYBE if we request NICELY with suggestions...maybe the SG Designer gods will design some stickers for us...Hey.  A girl can try!!

30 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

Just have a quick minute...hope I don't miss comments.

YES!  The chatroom is an awesome idea-glad you thought of that!!

Marilyn-Keynotes...I have it too but when I opened it (for the first time) yesterday, I was like "it's a video program, what???"...so I didn't see an "export to goodnotes file" option as I expected.  This is the extent of my Keynotes program.  ?  I wondered if it is Notes and NOT Keynotes?  Oh...I really have no idea.

Becky and I have purchased digital planners (which are used in GoodNotes) that we can then customize.  They have tabs and links (like in the video you showed, Marilyn) BUT...the fun is we can customize those using our digi supplies.  You could use the templates you showed on the pages already in the planner (or add new).  So it's like the "bones" of the planner are there for us, no figuring out linking (tabs) etc.

Kelly-that video shows creating a planner from scratch (haven't had time to look at it) and looks awesome-more involved that I am at this moment (since I purchased a planner)-BUT-maybe it has the clue for Becky to save files as GoodNotes files!  

AND...maybe...JUST MAYBE if we request NICELY with suggestions...maybe the SG Designer gods will design some stickers for us...Hey.  A girl can try!!

Thanks Conda - lots of help ;  I’m pretty much sold just have to get the pieces now.

About Keynotes, yes!  I had this discussion last night with my Apple cousin who couldn’t get it, he said it’s “PowerPoint for Mac”.  He does however use “Notes” a lot for drawing and annotating, but I don’t know if it would do the kinds of things Goodnotes does - I’ve only used it to write notes, but I’ll check it out for information’s sake and report back.   
At any rates, Goodnotes looks like a good app to have and since it’s being used by you and Becky, I’d go with that.   The iPad app is “Goodnotes 4” for $7.99 right?  I don’t want to purchase the wrong one.
And, “bones of the planner” is a perfect explanation, thank you!

I also checked out a video on the magic eraser app - it’s a way to erase BGs easily and create png.s out of anything (well, almost)

If you look on YouTube there are a lot of videos by Kara - showing stickers, her doing monthly pages, the entire thing, etc.  I found in watching them, even if say - I don’t want to create stickers - just watching the video shows me how to do things in Goodnotes.

I like the designer idea but hey - as you said LOADS of materials on my HD to choose from too!

THANK YOU Conda.  

Here’s another good VIDEO about creating the Journals.

Boho Berry has quite a few good YouTube video tutorials on how to lots of different parts of this.  I’ve been going through them and it gives me a good idea of how Goodnotes works and what it can do, too.  

9 minutes ago, MariJ said:

Boho Berry has quite a few good YouTube video tutorials on how to lots of different parts of this.  I’ve been going through them and it gives me a good idea of how Goodnotes works and what it can do, too.  

Yes, I like Kara's videos!  She is who I started following before "digi-planning" was cool.  ;)

Personally, I wouldn't want to create a planner from the ground up.  I think, why go through the hassle if someone else has done the work?!  (Lazy??  Or Smart??)  Then I can spend my time/energy decorating.  :D

I say we plan a chat time sometime in the next few days.  

9 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

Yes, I like Kara's videos!  She is who I started following before "digi-planning" was cool.  ;)

Personally, I wouldn't want to create a planner from the ground up.  I think, why go through the hassle if someone else has done the work?!  (Lazy??  Or Smart??)  Then I can spend my time/energy decorating.  :D

I say we plan a chat time sometime in the next few days.  

Sounds great to me!

And, I agree - I like being creative, but.....   give me the planner and I’ll go from there, my vote's for “Smart”.

So" Goodnotes 4” iPad app for $7.99 is the one to get or that you have?

Rainy dreary day here in NJ - I just tried to take a walk - boot, crutch and all - and that’s when it started. ?  So, great day to watch videos and try to figure this out.  In fact I had just charged up my Apple Pencil (isn’t THAT an oxymoron - charging a pencil) and was going to check out “Notes” more when I saw your reply. 

In and out running errands today, but I'll take  look at somethings later.

I'm wholly in favor of using pre-made. I'm not out to make myself that frustrated on purpose! What I really need to do is reorganize my Dropbox folders now that I have a better sense of what I'm doing. 

2 hours ago, MariJ said:

Can I just say that I really want Kara's handwriting???? My writing makes my journal look like a hot mess. *sigh*

6 hours ago, Becster said:

Can I just say that I really want Kara's handwriting???? My writing makes my journal look like a hot mess. *sigh*

Right???  I think it just takes lots of practice...and look at her "real" writing on paper it was amazing before she started digital writing.....

8 hours ago, MariJ said:

Sounds great to me!

And, I agree - I like being creative, but.....   give me the planner and I’ll go from there, my vote's for “Smart”.

So" Goodnotes 4” iPad app for $7.99 is the one to get or that you have?

Rainy dreary day here in NJ - I just tried to take a walk - boot, crutch and all - and that’s when it started. ?  So, great day to watch videos and try to figure this out.  In fact I had just charged up my Apple Pencil (isn’t THAT an oxymoron - charging a pencil) and was going to check out “Notes” more when I saw your reply. 

Yes, Marilyn, that sounds like the correct app.  It Looks like a piece of paper with blue lines and a darker blue pen.