Digital Planners...Bujo...Have you heard???

SodScrap

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I started my planner in the summer, but with my Aunt’s broken hip and having too much to do, sort of lost it in September.
Now I’m wondering, what do you do in January?  Download a whole new planner to start the new year?   Ot just add pages for each new month?   Then what about the blank pages or would you just go back and start at the beginning?  
I think I’m being confusing but I’ve wondered this before I even got the planner.

3 hours ago, Becster said:

You can upload the blank planners over and over! Wait... not sure if yours is dated or undated. That would make a difference.... I have Syndee’s but I’m not currently using it so I can’t recall the format.

Thanks Becky and yes I have both planners but use Syndee’s undated one.  So I guess I’d upload a new blank one, then delete the beginning of 2018 that I never used from the old one.   To think I am even discussing the end of 2018 blows my mind!
I really need to look this all over again, but I’d rather have the two years all in one planner then have to open two different documents in Goodnotes.
Am I making any sense?

Then again, now I think of it, in actual paper calendars I have two separate ones.  I’m starting to confuse myself, think it’s time for bed!    :sleeping:

I lost my cart and what I wanted to buy today - but at least I remembered I wanted these stickers so I have a copy now!  :)

• 3 months later...

In case you haven't heard. You can get Goodnotes 5 upgrade for free. They've made lots of wonderful changes. I just downloaded mine and finding my way around. I've had to google a few things to figure things how they work. I'm still using my planner but at the same time trying to find the right layouts I like so I will use it even more.

48 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

In case you haven't heard. You can get Goodnotes 5 upgrade for free. They've made lots of wonderful changes. I just downloaded mine and finding my way around. I've had to google a few things to figure things how they work. I'm still using my planner but at the same time trying to find the right layouts I like so I will use it even more.

Have you had any issues with GN5? I also downloaded it as an upgrade to GN4, but it's still very glitchy for me. I went back to working in GN4.

1 hour ago, Becster said:

Have you had any issues with GN5? I also downloaded it as an upgrade to GN4, but it's still very glitchy for me. I went back to working in GN4.

Yes!! After I posted above, I wanted to play with it and try to figure things out. I can’t access the tool bar now. I’ve tried everything even shutting down my ipad. ? Guess I will go back to GN4 until they fix they bugs. Sad. 

2 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Now the tools bar is back. ??‍♀️ ??They fix the glitch 

I really have to get back to my planner and Goonotes, I’ve abandoned it.  ?   So Kelly, you would recommend upgrading to 5?  How do you do that?  I was still not comfortable in my original one, I hate the thought of changing it around again.

2 hours ago, MariJ said:

I really have to get back to my planner and Goonotes, I’ve abandoned it.  ?   So Kelly, you would recommend upgrading to 5?  How do you do that?  I was still not comfortable in my original one, I hate the thought of changing it around again.

Well I do like the changes they made but, since I haven’t had it very long I am considered about how glitchy it might be. I did have to search how to use GN5, however I did find a helpful YouTube video. Once you get the hang of it I think will be more user friendly. I can write a bit better, not that I have great penmanship to begin with. ?. There’s more font options  and you can use hex codes for color choices.  You can have notebooks, folders, even the option for a quick note. Besides using my planner I am thinking it might be a useful tool for starting my genealogy research over but, that’s for another topic  ?

To get GoodNotes 5 you just go to the app store and search for GoodNotes 5. It says it’s bundled with GN4 but you just get GN5. I think because we already have 4 so it knows that we just need 5. I think even with the glitchyness I’m going to like it. I think the tool bar is easy to use. One thing I really love is rotating things including text is way easier.

Not sure if I helped you. If you have any questions I’ll try to do my best to answer them. 

1 hour ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Well I do like the changes they made but, since I haven’t had it very long I am considered about how glitchy it might be. I did have to search how to use GN5, however I did find a helpful YouTube video. Once you get the hang of it I think will be more user friendly. I can write a bit better, not that I have great penmanship to begin with. ?. There’s more font options  and you can use hex codes for color choices.  You can have notebooks, folders, even the option for a quick note. Besides using my planner I am thinking it might be a useful tool for starting my genealogy research over but, that’s for another topic  ?

To get GoodNotes 5 you just go to the app store and search for GoodNotes 5. It says it’s bundled with GN4 but you just get GN5. I think because we already have 4 so it knows that we just need 5. I think even with the glitchyness I’m going to like it. I think the tool bar is easy to use. One thing I really love is rotating things including text is way easier.

Not sure if I helped you. If you have any questions I’ll try to do my best to answer them. 

Oh wow, no this is very helpful Kelly, thank you!  From what I hear you saying it sounds like there’s much more in GN5.  Rotating and moving was a huge problem for me in the earlier version so that part sounds helpful.   And when I read all you say it makes me think maybe my problem in not using the planner was that it was a pain in the neck and too confusing so maybe I’d do better in the newer one and use it more.

Thanks so much for writing this all out - it really does help!   And if there’s notebooks and folders maybe you can eventually use it for your genealogy research.   I always have so many scraps of papers and notes around for so many various things I was hoping I could get it all contained on my iPad..  Haven’t been able to get that to work yet, but maybe someday I will!

I’m going to check into upgrading, thanks SO much for the information on how to do it.  I’m assuming it overwrites GN4 I already have or do I have to delete it?   Thanks Kelly!  :) 

10 hours ago, MariJ said:

Oh wow, no this is very helpful Kelly, thank you!  From what I hear you saying it sounds like there’s much more in GN5.  Rotating and moving was a huge problem for me in the earlier version so that part sounds helpful.   And when I read all you say it makes me think maybe my problem in not using the planner was that it was a pain in the neck and too confusing so maybe I’d do better in the newer one and use it more.

Thanks so much for writing this all out - it really does help!   And if there’s notebooks and folders maybe you can eventually use it for your genealogy research.   I always have so many scraps of papers and notes around for so many various things I was hoping I could get it all contained on my iPad..  Haven’t been able to get that to work yet, but maybe someday I will!

I’m going to check into upgrading, thanks SO much for the information on how to do it.  I’m assuming it overwrites GN4 I already have or do I have to delete it?   Thanks Kelly!  :) 

You’re so very welcome, Marilyn! I’m glad I could help. GN5 doesn’t overwrite GN4 but it does give you the option to import everything to GN4.

I’m wondering if the tool bar keeps disappearing because I’m doing something wrong or maybe it doesn’t play nice with what I imported from GN4. It usually happens when I try to add text onto a page sticker I made in PS. I made a habit tracker and added all the habits I wanted to track. Since you couldn’t rotate text in GN4 I filled in the habits in PS and then colored them in in my planner. It doesn’t seem to cause problems when I add text on blank page. I have to get ready for work so sadly I can play around with till this evening. 

5 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Think I’m getting the hang of it. ????

You are amazing Kelly.   I see that Syndee has new stickers this week!
Ok, thank for all the help, but one more question please?   So, you downloaded the newer version of Goodnotes;  then did you just delete the old one from your iPad?   

11 hours ago, MariJ said:

You are amazing Kelly.   I see that Syndee has new stickers this week!
Ok, thank for all the help, but one more question please?   So, you downloaded the newer version of Goodnotes;  then did you just delete the old one from your iPad?   

Yes. After you import your planner from GN4 into GN5  then you can just delete GN4 from your iPad. If you decide you don't like GN5 you can re-download GN4 from your purchases from the app store.

I have to say though, I was watching a youtube video this morning about digi planning in GoodNotes and Procreate and it was exciting to me. You can use Procreate to customize things and then import them into GoodNotes. I know Syndee has B&W planner themed brushes that you could color and then add in to your planner. I'm also think you could really scrapbook in Procreate. I'm just hesitant because 1. I only have an iPad mini so I don't if I have enough space to have both. I've cleared out just about everything on my iPad so I might have enough room. 2. My digi mojo is MIA so I'd hate to spend money on Procreate and not use it. Then again I like the idea of scrapping on the go! UGH! Decisions, Decisions.......... 

6 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Yes. After you import your planner from GN4 into GN5  then you can just delete GN4 from your iPad. If you decide you don't like GN5 you can re-download GN4 from your purchases from the app store.

I have to say though, I was watching a youtube video this morning about digi planning in GoodNotes and Procreate and it was exciting to me. You can use Procreate to customize things and then import them into GoodNotes. I know Syndee has B&W planner themed brushes that you could color and then add in to your planner. I'm also think you could really scrapbook in Procreate. I'm just hesitant because 1. I only have an iPad mini so I don't if I have enough space to have both. I've cleared out just about everything on my iPad so I might have enough room. 2. My digi mojo is MIA so I'd hate to spend money on Procreate and not use it. Then again I like the idea of scrapping on the go! UGH! Decisions, Decisions.......... 

Thanks Kelly! That is all great information and I’m happy to hear you’re excited, that bodes well for the rest of us! 

I remember, didn’t Syndee do some tutorial videos on how to use Procreate for scrapping?   I love Procreate, but I use it right now mainly for drawing on my iPad.   Do you have an Apple store nearby?   They offer free classes although they just revamped them all and I’m not fond of the new ones.  It is where I learned to draw in Procreate and they also have one now about how to draw in the “Notes” app.   Can’t remember the other Art ones; the video/photo ones look good too.

Everyone laughed that I bought the biggest iPad space-wise, now I’m glad I did;  that is if I ever get back to the planner, etc.  It would be fun to be able to scrap on the go!   I’ve done it with another app but it’s very limited.
I’ve been lap-top scrapping but seem to have hit a wall; no interest.....   All those mojos must be having lots of fun someplace without us.

Hi gals! Sorry I have been MIA on this thread! Life is chaotic! We got even more snow this past week and I am so OVER winter. Can't wait for spring.

There are things I love about the new GoodNotes upgrade - but it's a almost like relearning parts of it And I have the desktop version on my Mac and they didn't upgrade it, last I checked they said they were going to in the future.

I am going to do a '5 favorite things about GoodNotes 5' or something like that video soon. 

I love Procreate - but I don't do a lot of scrapping on it. I do love to use it to 'draw' on my photos and could see both digital and paper scrappers using it for that purpose. The reason I don't use it more for digi scrapping is just the hassle of getting my digi scrap files on to my iPad. What I do now is upload whatever I am wanting to work on into a file on my iCloud acct. then I can easily grab those and use them. But, I don't have hardly any room on my iPad! LOL So that makes it tricky and it's just a pain when I can access all my files so easily on my desktop. That being said, I DO see a lot of potential for digi scrapping especially in Procreate and also Affinity Photo (which is an app that is a lot like the full version of PS).

HI, Syndee! Yeah winter has been brutal to y'all! Looking forward to your video! Thanks for your input on Procreate. If I got procreate to scrap I would only want to scrap on the go while on vacation. I would just load supplies related to that vacation to my dropbox. For sure I wouldn't want to use Procreate for all my scrapping. Still deciding if I want to get it though.

1 hour ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Good news: I found the text issue was a glitch in the app. The text box would move under images. They provided an update to fix the problem.
Bad news: It didn't fix the problem. ?‍♀️?

Oh MAN.....    ?

Kelly thanks for doing all this trial and error testing and for reporting it here!  :)

On 3/9/2019 at 2:57 AM, Syndee said:

Hi gals! Sorry I have been MIA on this thread! Life is chaotic! We got even more snow this past week and I am so OVER winter. Can't wait for spring.

There are things I love about the new GoodNotes upgrade - but it's a almost like relearning parts of it And I have the desktop version on my Mac and they didn't upgrade it, last I checked they said they were going to in the future.

I am going to do a '5 favorite things about GoodNotes 5' or something like that video soon. 

I love Procreate - but I don't do a lot of scrapping on it. I do love to use it to 'draw' on my photos and could see both digital and paper scrappers using it for that purpose. The reason I don't use it more for digi scrapping is just the hassle of getting my digi scrap files on to my iPad. What I do now is upload whatever I am wanting to work on into a file on my iCloud acct. then I can easily grab those and use them. But, I don't have hardly any room on my iPad! LOL So that makes it tricky and it's just a pain when I can access all my files so easily on my desktop. That being said, I DO see a lot of potential for digi scrapping especially in Procreate and also Affinity Photo (which is an app that is a lot like the full version of PS).

The sun was out yesterday and is this morning also! ☀️ Woohoo!  (although it's still below freezing)

I have been holding off on upgrading my app to GN5.  Syndee do you find you use the desktop version often?  I have considered purchasing it also.  ?

I have wondered about using a blank Goodnotes "journal" (notebook, not sure what to call it) as sort of a digital photo album.  I was wondering if it would be an easy way to view my layouts.  Seems it might be easy to open it to show others-people who wouldn't be at my home to see the "real" album.  I think this is a good possibility but am not sure what size and dpi would be small enough in capacity but large enough to view.  Is this making any sense? 

Also, along with this idea, I have wondered about using a GN notebook/journal as a recipe file for the recipe cards I receive/make for the recipe swap here.  I use these cards a lot and have them in Evernote which works fine but I'm a little geeky and wondered about doing it differently. ?

I LOVE that you are including the GN files in your templates.  THANK YOU. :thanks:

On 3/9/2019 at 4:27 PM, ladyscrapalot said:

Good news: I found the text issue was a glitch in the app. The text box would move under images. They provided an update to fix the problem.
Bad news: It didn't fix the problem. ?‍♀️?

On 3/9/2019 at 5:44 PM, MariJ said:

Oh MAN.....    ?

Kelly thanks for doing all this trial and error testing and for reporting it here!  :)

Ahhh.  Bummer.  I have seen that this was an issue, but had heard the latest update corrected this.  ???

2 hours ago, SodScrap said:

Ahhh.  Bummer.  I have seen that this was an issue, but had heard the latest update corrected this.  ???

As fat as I can tell it hasn’t fixed it. I can use a text box on any page of thw planner. If I try to add text on top of a sticker it goes underneath the sticker. ?

7 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

As fat as I can tell it hasn’t fixed it. I can use a text box on any page of thw planner. If I try to add text on top of a sticker it goes underneath the sticker. ?

It’s still very hit or miss. I won’t use it until I’m positive it’s stable.

1 minute ago, Becster said:

It’s still very hit or miss. I won’t use it until I’m positive it’s stable.

10 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

I wonder why they can't get it fixed?  OBVIOUSLY, I'm no tech guru but it does make me question why this wasn't an issue but now is.  

Just now, SodScrap said:

I wonder why they can't get it fixed?  OBVIOUSLY, I'm no tech guru but it does make me question why this wasn't an issue but now is.

I want to know why they said the update was to fix this know issue but it’s not fixed. I do love the ability to rotate text and it’s a lot easier. 

52 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

I want to know why they said the update was to fix this know issue but it’s not fixed. I do love the ability to rotate text and it’s a lot easier. 

Right?  How did they think it was fixed and release it????  

On 3/11/2019 at 7:27 AM, SodScrap said:

I have been holding off on upgrading my app to GN5.  Syndee do you find you use the desktop version often?  I have considered purchasing it also.  ?

I have wondered about using a blank Goodnotes "journal" (notebook, not sure what to call it) as sort of a digital photo album.  I was wondering if it would be an easy way to view my layouts.  Seems it might be easy to open it to show others-people who wouldn't be at my home to see the "real" album.  I think this is a good possibility but am not sure what size and dpi would be small enough in capacity but large enough to view.  Is this making any sense? 

Also, along with this idea, I have wondered about using a GN notebook/journal as a recipe file for the recipe cards I receive/make for the recipe swap here.  I use these cards a lot and have them in Evernote which works fine but I'm a little geeky and wondered about doing it differently. ?

I LOVE that you are including the GN files in your templates.  THANK YOU. :thanks:

I have been holding off on upgrading my app to GN5.  Syndee do you find you use the desktop version often?  I have considered purchasing it also.  

I do use it a lot - and it sync's files quickly so that whatever you have done on your desktop shows up pretty quickly on the app on your iPad :) I just wish they would hurry up and upgrade the desktop Mac version. 

I use GoodNotes a lot for sketching out notes and ideas for products, videos, tutorials etc and find is so useful so I think it would work well for a digital journal with photos. Also a recipe file is a great idea! I have an Instant Pot and I keep my recipes on my iPad usually in the Notes app but I like your idea of having a recipe journal in GoodNotes!

And you are welcome - I have been trying to include the GoodNotes file for things I think will work well in digital planners but also just in GoodNotes itself. Hmmmm.... Now I'm thinking I need to create some things for a digital recipe journal... LOL

On 3/11/2019 at 9:27 AM, SodScrap said:

The sun was out yesterday and is this morning also! ☀️ Woohoo!  (although it's still below freezing)

Some how I missed thiss post. What a great idea about using GN for showing your layouts! I love it! I have a lot of mine in dropbox so I could bring them in that way.