Digital Planners...Bujo...Have you heard???

SodScrap

On 3/11/2019 at 10:27 AM, SodScrap said:

I have wondered about using a blank Goodnotes "journal" (notebook, not sure what to call it) as sort of a digital photo album.  I was wondering if it would be an easy way to view my layouts.  Seems it might be easy to open it to show others-people who wouldn't be at my home to see the "real" album.  I think this is a good possibility but am not sure what size and dpi would be small enough in capacity but large enough to view.  Is this making any sense? 

Also, along with this idea, I have wondered about using a GN notebook/journal as a recipe file for the recipe cards I receive/make for the recipe swap here.  I use these cards a lot and have them in Evernote which works fine but I'm a little geeky and wondered about doing it differently. ?

I LOVE these ideas Conda and now I’m wondering too.    How big the layouts should be to look “good” on iPad but not take up too much space.

Both of these are awesome ideas!  :) 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I gave it a go with trying to make and little photo album. I just created a new notebook and used blank pages. I used my layouts that I'm working on for our wedding. I made a cover page layout but I don't think (I could be wrong) GN5 has a plain cover. So I did the best I could. Then I added a page for each layout. I had my layouts all ready in my dropbox account, they were 600x600 pixels (like how we post them in the gallery). I had to enlarge them a bit. The notebooks are rectangle shaped and my layouts are square. So all in all it's fairly easy. I just don't how much storage room it would take up in you had a lot of layouts/notebooks. Since I only have a mini iPad that is a concern for me.

1 hour ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Well I gave it a go with trying to make and little photo album. I just created a new notebook and used blank pages. I used my layouts that I'm working on for our wedding. I made a cover page layout but I don't think (I could be wrong) GN5 has a plain cover. So I did the best I could. Then I added a page for each layout. I had my layouts all ready in my dropbox account, they were 600x600 pixels (like how we post them in the gallery). I had to enlarge them a bit. The notebooks are rectangle shaped and my layouts are square. So all in all it's fairly easy. I just don't how much storage room it would take up in you had a lot of layouts/notebooks. Since I only have a mini iPad that is a concern for me.

Kelly, that’s so cool and you can have your wedding album on your iPad to show off!  Thanks for telling us how you did this, I need to check it all out soon.

So I'm taking my shower, getting ready for work and  it dawns on me. Open up a copy of Syndee's planner. Delete all the calendar/planner pages. She has blank pages you can make as many copies that you want. Add a layout per blank page, BOOM , digital scrapbook! I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner but it would look a 1000%  better than the GN5 notebook. Sadly I have to go to work but I'm going to try this asap!

2 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

So I'm taking my shower, getting ready for work and  it dawns on me. Open up a copy of Syndee's planner. Delete all the calendar/planner pages. She has blank pages you can make as many copies that you want. Add a layout per blank page, BOOM , digital scrapbook! I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner but it would look a 1000%  better than the GN5 notebook. Sadly I have to go to work but I'm going to try this asap!

I wondered about this also.  I thought it might work, just wasn't sure until I had time to play with it.  Do keep us posted!  I like hearing what you are doing! 

4 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Me too, like hearing what you are doing and that this works!  I wondered about how to do things like this - even for a new year, you would just open another copy of the planner?    Very cool Kelly!

PS I do my best thinking in the shower.   

Wow, Kelly - this looks really awesome, an actual digital photo album you can carry around, that’s so cool and your layouts look great.
Maybe Syndee can help with the monthly tabs, I remember having trouble with them on my planner.   Can’t remember what I was trying to do or not do - I really need to get back to that.

• 4 weeks later...

Kelly thanks for your trials (& tribulations!) and for posting all you find out here.  I still haven’t upgraded (to be correct, you have to buy 5, right - not just upgrade?) but I also still haven’t gotten back to using my planner.   I need a planner to plan my planner....  :rofl:

Oh well...... 

3 hours ago, MariJ said:

Kelly thanks for your trials (& tribulations!) and for posting all you find out here.  I still haven’t upgraded (to be correct, you have to buy 5, right - not just upgrade?) but I also still haven’t gotten back to using my planner.   I need a planner to plan my planner....  :rofl:

Oh well...... 

No you don’t have to pay to upgrade to 5. I don’t use my planner much. I’m not hardly scraping much right now. ? I miss it. The planner helps a little with creativity as does the atcs. I think i may have figured out how to scrap on my ipad but have had a chance to check it out. 

8 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

No you don’t have to pay to upgrade to 5. I don’t use my planner much. I’m not hardly scraping much right now. ? I miss it. The planner helps a little with creativity as does the atcs. I think i may have figured out how to scrap on my ipad but have had a chance to check it out. 

Thanks Kelly.  I get it about the planner and scrapping.  I’ve been keeping up with Challenge Chase but my heart’s not in it;  I’ve come to like recipes somehow because they don’t require me to think or stres about being TOO creative.   Oh, that’s exciting to scrap on your iPad, I love how you figure things out and you’re always so good about sharing what you learn.

14 hours ago, MariJ said:

Oh, that’s exciting to scrap on your iPad, I love how you figure things out and you’re always so good about sharing what you learn.

So today I decided to splurge for my bday and bought Procreate. And you absolutely can digi scrap with it. I’m still getting the hang of it. I currently don’t have a lot of supplies in my dropbox but enough to give it ago. I’m going to have to play around with it more and maybe search from some basic tutorials. My next step is to find a way to have access to some of my supplies when I’m offline. I ordered a memory stick that should be compatible with iPads and iPhones. ???? When Larisa and I are on our cruise we have a couple of days at sea. So if it works I can do a few simple LOs.

I like to share what I learn in case someone is trying to figure out the same thing I am.

So today I decided to splurge for my bday and bought Procreate. And you absolutely can digi scrap with it. I’m still getting the hang of it. I currently don’t have a lot of supplies in my dropbox but enough to give it ago. I’m going to have to play around with it more and maybe search from some basic tutorials. My next step is to find a way to have access to some of my supplies when I’m offline. I ordered a memory stick that should be compatible with iPads and iPhones. ???? When Larisa and I are on our cruise we have a couple of days at sea. So if it works I can do a few simple LOs.

I like to share what I learn in case someone is trying to figure out the same thing I am.

Oh Kelly, you are so good.  I love Procreate for drawing but I’d love to understand how to scrap in it.  I forgot to tell you that I did look at my iPad memory stick but it wasn’t the right kind for what you need.  If I remember correctly didn’t Syndee have a tutorial for scrapping in Procreate?   I really don’t understand how that would work.   

i took classes at the Apple store on how to draw in Procreate. They were great but the classes have been revamped.  The workers were very helpful with questions though.  

Okay let’s see if I can show you how it works. I did this while I was at Starbucks. As I said I didn’t have a lot to choose from. You can do clipping masks but I don’t think you can add drop shadows. Perhaps there is a work around. Sorry if my photos are too big. The first photo is the workspace after I finished a quick LO. If you’re already familiar with Procreate then you start with a new canvas. You can move your canvas around or enlarge it. I just moved it over so I could still see it with the layers open.

80465A14-2354-474B-AF3D-7D55A163B1B8.png

44 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Lastly to get to the menu for each layer you touch and hold on the layer and that menu will pop out. There are also other tools along the top but I didn’t take any screen shot of those. 

A031959F-D179-42A0-AA96-8102B2297DE7.png

Kelly, this is awesome and thank you so much for taking the time to put this all together and explain it; imagine - scrapping at Starbucks with your iPad!  So, now that I see it I realize it’s kinda what I do with my painting/drawing in Procreate with regards to layers.   What was confusing me was how do you get the pieces and backgrounds in?  So, I think now from what you show, you just import the pieces as you would a photo?  One thing I’ve had trouble with is moving things around.  It seemed that once I moved it and it was ok, I couldn’t move it again.   Is that the problem you’ve been talking about or me being dense?   :rofl:

Thanks SO MUCH Kelly!  :) 

To bring in any items in to your layout will depend on were you keep them. I have my supplies and the photo in dropbox. (Same with iCloud) So to find what I want I click on insert a file. If its in your camera roll you would click insert a photo. To move an item you have to first open the layers menu (2 squares top right) highlight the layer you want to move. Next click on the arrow at the top on the left and it will put marching ants around your item. The will be blue dots so you can resize it and one green dot to rotate it. One thing to note and remember; at the bottom there’s 2 rows of options. When resizing click on the word uniform if you want to keep the same proportions.  The only way I found to close out the bounding box is to click on the 2 squares for the layers menu.  Hope this makes sense. I’m excited to experiment some more. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

1 minute ago, MariJ said:

Wow, Kelly you are amazing! 

eh, I can't take the credit. Browsing Pinterest and getting lucky! Actually though, it's how I thought it could be done. I learned it a llloonngg time ago in ps but with an added step that you can't do in Procreate but it's good enough for me.

Hi all! Seems like you are having a lot of fun Kelly! I love Procreate, it's a super fun app especially for lettering and drawing on photos etc. But I have been frustrated because you've probably noticed that if you resize or rotate a photo, lettering, embellishment etc it resamples it and makes it blurry. I did a lot of research and that's just the way it is. Of course, the developers at Procreate know about it and keep saying it's not an easy fix. Which I know is true-ish. LOL The issue I have is that other apps let you resize/rotate pngs without losing quality unless of course you enlarge it way too much. Even resizing/rotating in GoodNotes usually gives you a pretty good result unless you enlarge it too much. Affinity Photo is a great iPad and tablet App  that does a lot of what PS does. So for actual scrapping I use that. Now if only I had unlimited space on my iPad for all the great apps! LOL 

I love seeing what your doing Kelly! 

Oh boy, I’m a happy camper!!! I found some great basic tutorials on how to use Procreate. I discovered blending modes and clipping masks. So for sure you can digi scrap on an iPad with Procreate. I also found a memory stick to store some of my supplies for when I don’t have wifi. I want to learn how to write pretty letters and things but that will take A LOT of practice (and time).

Oh boy, I’m a happy camper!!! I found some great basic tutorials on how to use Procreate. I discovered blending modes and clipping masks. So for sure you can digi scrap on an iPad with Procreate. I also found a memory stick to store some of my supplies for when I don’t have wifi. I want to learn how to write pretty letters and things but that will take A LOT of practice (and time).

Oh kelly THANKS for this info!   Could you share what memory stick you got?   And I keep forgetting to ask if you knew there is a Procreate Handbook?  I think you get it from the site, but I can look mine up if you don’t have one.

You are doing SO great and a Pioneer for all of us!  :) 

2 hours ago, MariJ said:

Oh kelly THANKS for this info!   Could you share what memory stick you got?   And I keep forgetting to ask if you knew there is a Procreate Handbook?  I think you get it from the site, but I can look mine up if you don’t have one.

You are doing SO great and a Pioneer for all of us!  :) 

Oh I didn’t know there was a handbook. I’ll have to check it out. I’ve discovered that I learn better visually, where I can see how it’s done. 

As for the memory stick it’s called iXpand flash drive for iPhone, iPad and computer. I bought the 32 GB on Amazon. I think it will hold a lot. You can add music files and video files as well. One end fits into the USB port of your computer. The other end fits into you iPad or iPhone. 

I’ve been having fun playing around with it and hopefully, maybe get my mojo to visit me. ?

39 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Oh I didn’t know there was a handbook. I’ll have to check it out. I’ve discovered that I learn better visually, where I can see how it’s done. 

As for the memory stick it’s called iXpand flash drive for iPhone, iPad and computer. I bought the 32 GB on Amazon. I think it will hold a lot. You can add music files and video files as well. One end fits into the USB port of your computer. The other end fits into you iPad or iPhone. 

I’ve been having fun playing around with it and hopefully, maybe get my mojo to visit me. ?

If you go to the “Books” app on your iPad (orange square with book) and search “Procreate” - two official books come up.   Procreate Pocketbook is for Procreate on iPhone and the other is for the iPad version.  It’s pretty extensive, I keep saying I’m going to read it but I haven’t gotten all the way through!

Thanks for the tip on the flash drive.  I was given one for Christmas a few years ago that I didn’t think would work;  I’m not sure it has a USB end, I’ll have to look, thanks Kelly!
I know what you mean about Mojo, I’ve been scrapping but it’s almost like rote....    

Oh and I was just trying to get Syndee’s “Hello World” stickers to upload into Goodnotes, it all goes well until the actual transfer and then it doesn’t!  ?  
I think I’ll try tomorrow; the Christmas ones went in fine but those won’t.......

• 4 weeks later...