Digital Planners...Bujo...Have you heard???

SodScrap

Bullet journal or bujo has gone digital!!  The exciting thing to me is that I have a whole EHD full of digital supplies that I can use for this.  Now.  The question is...HOW do I this??  Typically this is done with an iPad, Apple pencil (alternately an Android tablet) and a few apps.  Apps are different for iPad and Android users.  The process reminds me so much of digital scrapbooking, but with a little different process.

I wanted to start this thread for those who are interested.  We can help each other learn the dos and don'ts.  

I don't know the answers, but I want to learn...so we can learn together!!   

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!  Conda - I was just reading the updates on the MB and then found the thread.  And, I’m SO excited to read what you said here, I have an Apple pencil and don’t use it enough with my iPad, so it would be great to learm more.   

I’m looking forward to how to do this and excited I can use my SG digital supplies. :)

I'm having so much fun with this! Since we were nudged into retirement (aka weren't hired for the church music job) this has kept me busy all week.  And it looks like maybe I'm getting an iPad? We'll see if hubby is still leaning that way tomorrow!

I love the tutorials showing how the Apple Pencil can just select things, copy and paste them. I can't do that in the Android app, or the PC version I downloaded. Of course, now that I've learned the Android tricks I may have to start over with the Apple apps. LOL

3 hours ago, Boatlady said:

Which model ipad do you have??

1 hour ago, ladyscrapalot said:

I would be interested but my iPad is an older version so I don’t think the Apple Pencil is compatible. I’ll still follow this thread to see where it goes. 

I have an iPad mini which does not support the Apple Pencil.  I did purchase a pen that works with it from Amazon.  Will get a link later!  (and it was $30!)

It is my hope to gather a list of what apps are needed and etc sometime today.  In an nutshell the planners are pdf files (with links) and the app you use is a pdf annotator.   They also use an app that reminds me SO MUCH of PS/PSE with layers and etc where they create some "stickers".  I have an entire ehd full of files I can use for this.  YIPPEE.  

Becky and I have communicated on FB through a group we are both members.  I am hoping she will fill in the blanks I miss.  HINT HINT!  

I also hope to link to products we have that will lend easily to this.  I sort of feel like it's a mobile planner/datebook and layout all in one.  You can incorporate journaling, photos, drawings...really the sky is the limit!! 

Ok..this is something I might actually follow.  I'm not a journal person, but a digital version is something that interest me. 

The only thing that may hinder me though is i'm not a Mac person.  I have an ipad pro and apple pencil (my boys got new ones from their grandparent for Christmas so I bought Colby's old one..that was barely a year old) but i'm PC/Android for the rest.  I know it would be great if your a Mac person, because you can share it with all your devices easily.  But not sure if there's a way to do that from Mac to PC.  

And no Conda...i'm not going all Mac yet.  LOL

1 minute ago, angleigh said:

Ok..this is something I might actually follow.  I'm not a journal person, but a digital version is something that interest me. 

The only thing that may hinder me though is i'm not a Mac person.  I have an ipad pro and apple pencil (my boys got new ones from their grandparent for Christmas so I bought Colby's old one..that was barely a year old) but i'm PC/Android for the rest.  I know it would be great if your a Mac person, because you can share it with all your devices easily.  But not sure if there's a way to do that from Mac to PC.  

And no Conda...i'm not going all Mac yet.  LOL

It's only a matter of time...LOL

I imagine there is a way to share/sync between the iPad and your PC...we will have to figure this out....and, then it depends on "how" you use your planner, if you actually need it on your computer...but phone, yes.  So...it's time to suck it up and get an iPhone!  Let's go shopping!  :D

I have an iPad mini which does not support the Apple Pencil.  I did purchase a pen that works with it from Amazon.  Will get a link later!  (and it was $30!)

Uh oh!!! Don’t tell me that!! Guess I’ll be shopping at Amazon soon. ? I have a ps Express app wonder if I could use that. 

Just now, ladyscrapalot said:

Uh oh!!! Don’t tell me that!! Guess I’ll be shopping at Amazon soon. ? I have a ps Express app wonder if I could use that. 

This One

Not to be an enabler....:giggle_bear:

I would think PS Express would work-and honestly, with our digital scrapping supplies, I'm not sure how much we will need it anyway???

10 minutes ago, Becster said:

Guess whose hubby just bought her an iPad and Apple Pencil for their anniversary?!?!?

I've spent all week leaning to do this is Android, now I get to start all over. LOL

#notreallycomplaining

YES!  I knew Dave would come through!  

:rofl:#notreallycomplaining

31 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

YES!  I knew Dave would come through!  

:rofl:#notreallycomplaining

As he told the sales person, it's better then a 4-figure piece of jewelry! I've always preferred hardware anyway.  :rofl:

37 minutes ago, Becster said:

As he told the sales person, it's better then a 4-figure piece of jewelry! I've always preferred hardware anyway.  :rofl:

Exactly!!  I have to ask...which iPad did you get???

2 hours ago, SodScrap said:

This One

Not to be an enabler....:giggle_bear:

I would think PS Express would work-and honestly, with our digital scrapping supplies, I'm not sure how much we will need it anyway???

Put on my wish list until I can shop. I have several of the planner kits so would we be able to use them? Maybe? Not that I have anything to put in it. ?

1 minute ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Put on my wish list until I can shop. I have several of the planner kits so would we be able to use them? Maybe? Not that I have anything to put in it. ?

Yes, you should be able to use these products!  :D

6 minutes ago, Becster said:

Umm ... 9.7" 32 Gb ...? Just says in the ad, "latest model". It's gold, and very fancy looking!

I was looking at new ones (until I realized I could use an "off brand" pen) and was debating between that size and the 10.5".

Tearing my hair out with all new software. The Mac programs aren't working well at all. I have managed to import my journal into Keymote, but can't navigate with the tabs. I turned off the pencil up at the top of the screen, but still no go. I posted some questions in the FB groups, so hopefully I'll get some answers there.

14 hours ago, SodScrap said:

Exactly!!  I have to ask...which iPad did you get???

When I got my iPad in late 2015 only iPad Pro could use the Apple pencil, but very recently the new iPads all do too.   I’m not sure about the iPad Mini.

13 hours ago, SodScrap said:

I was looking at new ones (until I realized I could use an "off brand" pen) and was debating between that size and the 10.5".

Conda, make sure of that?  When I got my iPad only the Apple pencil worked on it.   Unless you’re talking a stylus-type pencil.  The Apple Pencil is expensive but it’s absolutely amazing because it really DOES act like a “real” pencil and so totally different than a stylus.   On art apps it will truly act like a brush, pen, marker, etc.   No lag time and totally “authentic”!   I got my iPad on Black Friday and the pencil was “free” with rebate.  

I have the 9.7 inch iPad Pro and love it but i know someone with the 10.5 and it’s amazing!  Only thing is it’s not as portable and I thought harder to hold.  I really only got the Pro because of the pencil; now that regular iPad can use it, I’d probably go with that since the price is better.

I’m not a planner... I use my iCalendar, and it sends me reminders for my appts. Not much else to ‘plan’. I had a planner, just found it. I think I bought it in 2001....all the pages were blank. Hahaha so yeah, I’m not a planner type of person. I do have the iPad pro 125gb, and I USED to have a pencil, until I kneeled on it getting into bed. Expensive lesson learned. It is white, sheets are white, voila! I broke it. I ‘jimmied’ it with a red ribbon tied arounf the broken part, and then Wyatt got hold of it. It’s history now

10 hours ago, Becster said:

Tearing my hair out with all new software. The Mac programs aren't working well at all. I have managed to import my journal into Keymote, but can't navigate with the tabs. I turned off the pencil up at the top of the screen, but still no go. I posted some questions in the FB groups, so hopefully I'll get some answers there.

Please share the answers here Becky.  Sorry you are having trouble.  I am not familiar with Keynote as I have Goodnotes.

10 hours ago, MariJ said:

When I got my iPad in late 2015 only iPad Pro could use the Apple pencil, but very recently the new iPads all do too.   I’m not sure about the iPad Mini.

Conda, make sure of that?  When I got my iPad only the Apple pencil worked on it.   Unless you’re talking a stylus-type pencil.  The Apple Pencil is expensive but it’s absolutely amazing because it really DOES act like a “real” pencil and so totally different than a stylus.   On art apps it will truly act like a brush, pen, marker, etc.   No lag time and totally “authentic”!   I got my iPad on Black Friday and the pencil was “free” with rebate.  

I have the 9.7 inch iPad Pro and love it but i know someone with the 10.5 and it’s amazing!  Only thing is it’s not as portable and I thought harder to hold.  I really only got the Pro because of the pencil; now that regular iPad can use it, I’d probably go with that since the price is better.

Well, yes I use it with my iPad just fine. Of course, I can't compare "how" it works versus the Apple Pencil. 

When I compared the 9.7 and 10.5 (pro) the overall size difference was VERY minimal.  The outer case is almost identical but the screen is larger.  

18 hours ago, Becster said:

Guess whose hubby just bought her an iPad and Apple Pencil for their anniversary?!?!?

I've spent all week learning to do this is Android, now I get to start all over. LOL

#notreallycomplaining

I think you should keep that thoughtful husband!   :) 

25 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

Well, yes I use it with my iPad just fine. Of course, I can't compare "how" it works versus the Apple Pencil. 

When I compared the 9.7 and 10.5 (pro) the overall size difference was VERY minimal.  The outer case is almost identical but the screen is larger.  

Oops sorry, I wrote my above all wrong so just now corrected!  Must have been too late last night and after a day without internet my brain was on overload!  :hit-head-with-hammer:

Sorry, I meant that when I got my iPad the Apple pencil could only be used with the iPad Pro - virtually forcing you to use it if you wanted the pencil.   Just recently Apple made the pencil compatible with the regular iPad and (& maybe mini?).   If I were buying now, I wouldn’t bother with the Pro!

I looked at your pencil and it looks great!    Might be even easier than the pencil, cool as it is......   And it’s now on my Amazon wishlist, sigh.....
Technology is so enticing! :D

And, that’s interesting info about size.   They are always improving!   I liked my cousin’s 10.5 (2015 model, too!) but it was much harder for me to hold.  I’m glad that’s been made smaller. 

2 minutes ago, MariJ said:

Oops sorry, I wrote my above all wrong so just now corrected!  Must have been too late last night and after a day without internet my brain was on overload!  :hit-head-with-hammer:

Sorry, I meant that when I got my iPad the Apple pencil could only be used with the iPad Pro - virtually forcing you to use it if you wanted the pencil.   Just recently Apple made the pencil compatible with the regular iPad and (& maybe mini?).   If I were buying now, I wouldn’t bother with the Pro!

I looked at your pencil and it looks great!    Might be even easier than the pencil, cool as it is......   And it’s now on my Amazon wishlist, sigh.....
Technology is so enticing! :D

And, that’s interesting info about size.   They are always improving!   I liked my cousin’s 10.5 (2015 model, too!) but it was much harder for me to hold.  I’m glad that’s been made smaller. 

I really do love my mini for what I use it for currently.  I can see how a bit larger would be quite handy if utilizing the digital planner.

11 hours ago, Becster said:

I’m sorry, I still don’t really understand the whole journal thing, could you please advise what to search for so I can really see it?

And, Becky I’m wondering what it is you want to do - import what you create on your computer into the iPad?  I was going to try searching for an answer but realized I’m not sure what it is you can/want to do!  

Being away from home (at my sister’s) is wonderful but I think my brain is on vacation too and my computer time is all mixed up!  

Just now, SodScrap said:

I really do love my mini for what I use it for currently.  I can see how a bit larger would be quite handy if utilizing the digital planner.

I love the iPad mini and would have gone for that, but seriously did buy the iPad Pro just so I’d be able to use/play with the pencil!

Ok - full disclosure here.    The Black Friday when I bought my iPad Pro was about 3 weeks after rotator cuff surgery,  I couldn’t use my computer because my arm was strapped tightly to me and not allowed to move and I convinced myself I needed the pencil and iPad to play with and make it all easier!  Plus, I’d be able to practice drawing, after all I had lots of time hanging around to play!   And, maybe I needed a present.   :giggle_bear:

I never regretted the purchase, but would have been fine with a mini....   Although the bit larger screen is better for drawing....   That said I STILL haven’t mastered the drawing!     Actually a few weeks after my foot surgery my laptop went into a tailspin and I was so glad I had the iPad.   I even managed to scrap a layout on an App - but it wasn’t the best and disappointing because I couldn’t use my SG stuff.

I’d really like to learn more about the planner stuff, can you also tell me what the FB place is that talks about it?  Since I’m at my sister’s she has FB and I could take a peek! :)