Digital Planners...Bujo...Have you heard???

SodScrap

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SodScrap said:

Marilyn, I am 45 miles from Costco.  I have an appointment close to there on Monday so I will go in and visit them!  

I did open the new iPad and it appears fine, as I expected.  The rest of the apps are downloading now.  I did pause everything so I could download some goodies.  I'm not going to lie, I had to watch a video again to figure out how to do that.  LOL.  They are unzipped and waiting to play.  Hopefully I will have time this evening.  I'm leaving in a few minutes for appointments.  (One is in Excelsior Angie, I will wave as I go by....)

Accessories to arrive this afternoon.  Oh...and yes, the new iPad is AWESOME!!!

Yay!  Conda, I’m glad you’re having fun so far and that everything seems ok.   For the most part, those things are very rugged. 
I was afraid Costco would be far, but glad you’ll be close enough for a visit soon enough.    Have fun.   
(PS I get it, each time I go back to do something I forget how and have to relook.    For some reason doing things in GoodNotes and on the Planner is not intuitive to how I am used to working.   Maybe PSE and SG make things easy.)

OMG! Conda! That is so upsetting! I would have sent it back (which is hard because you WANT it NOW! LOL) because that is just upsetting. But technically, it's the delivery companies fault so they should be the ones to fix it. I can't remember but did you say it didn't appear to have packing material in the box? If it's working OK then it's most likely fine but maybe for peace of mind contact Apple online (they are usually so nice and it's easy to email or chat online with them) and explain what happened and share the photo you took. Just to see what they say.

It's been my experience that iPads are pretty tough. Kids are hard on them and they seem to survive! LOL

Anyway, I will be trying to answer everyone's questions - just need to formulate the answers in my head first :)

I am going to be doing a video tutorial on the Goodnotes app first. Keep your eyes out next week. 

If there are other apps you are curious about besides GoodNotes and Procreate - let me know. There are tons of awesome ones!!

Conda, it is very different to write on the iPad. So don't beat yourself up! And you are left-handed (my daughter is too) and as you know most everything is made for right-handers! My daughter actually taught herself to use the mouse and the Wacom pen with her right-hand years ago, just because it was so frustrating. She does great on an iPad now though. It just takes PRACTICE and patience. Which I know is HARD! LOL When I first got my apple pencil and tablet it felt so WIERD! I didn't like it at all! LOL  I am so used to the 'drag' on paper when writing/drawing/sketching on real paper. On the iPad it's smooth and it feels like you are writing on a window or mirror which technically you are because it's glass! LOL

BUT, it gets easier and pretty quickly if you practice at least a little each day. Now it feels weird to me to write on actual paper, and since I have been battling with Arthritis for years, it really helps and allows me to write/sketch for longer periods of time without intense pain and my hand cramping.

I can make up a little practice sheet for everyone and maybe do a little video to go over it with some tips on making it easier. Will put it on my tutorial 'to do' list :)

Syndee I’m so glad that you are with this.   I bought my iPad/Apple Pencil mostly because I wanted to be able to draw on it.   After a lot of research I bought Procreate because it’s supposed to be the best drawing app.   I can see where it is and there are gorgeous pieces created on it, but I find it really confusing to use!   I’m glad you are here to answer questions so maybe I’ll try again.

Same with GoodNotes; it’s not AS frustrating, but I still get stuck on it.   Some of that I think is that I expect it do act and do things like I can in PSE and I can’t!   I forget it’s technically only supposed to be for “notes”.

And, I’d love to have a practice sheet or any help/tutorials with any of this!

Conda, I can put in another two cents (probably about a dime by now) about the Apple Pencil.   Me too, I’m left handed and seriously, I have to say I have had no problem with it and playing with the iPad - in fact,  I’ve never noticed anything I can’t do or is a pain because of being left-handed.   And I am SO left-handed, I do everything that way.   Like Syndee’s daughter I taught myself to use the trackpad/mouse with my right hand, but not because I had trouble - because I figured that if I used my right hand for that, I’d have my left hand for taking notes and writing without having to put something down!

Syndee’s right that it’s so different writing on iPad because it’s glass and not paper, but practice you DO get used to it pretty quickly; your mind has to just “forget” that it’s not on paper.    Just like in PSE or Procreate when I change from a marker to a pencil to a watercolor brush my brain has to not expect it to technically FEEL that way, but the item works that way.   I did get used to that with no issue.   And, I honestly have never given one thought to being left-handed because there really is nothing that is any different than being left-handed with paper.

16 minutes ago, MariJ said:

Syndee I’m so glad that you are with this.   I bought my iPad/Apple Pencil mostly because I wanted to be able to draw on it.   After a lot of research I bought Procreate because it’s supposed to be the best drawing app.   I can see where it is and there are gorgeous pieces created on it, but I find it really confusing to use!   I’m glad you are here to answer questions so maybe I’ll try again.

Same with GoodNotes; it’s not AS frustrtating, but I still get stuck on it.   Some of that I think is that I expect it do act and do things like I can in PSE and I can’t!   I forget it’s technically only supposed to be for “notes”.

And, I’d love to have a practice sheet or any help/tutorials with any of this!

Yes, it's really an adjustment because we are so used to being able to do incredible things in PS and PSE. Procreate is a great app for digital scrapbooking and drawing on an iPad. It just takes a brain adjustment! LOL Because we are so used to doing these things on a desktop computer or drawing on actual paper. But it does get easier :) I plan on doing some tutorials and video classes so we can all sort this out together :)

5 minutes ago, Syndee said:

Yes, it's really an adjustment because we are so used to being able to do incredible things in PS and PSE. Procreate is a great app for digital scrapbooking and drawing on an iPad. It just takes a brain adjustment! LOL Because we are so used to doing these things on a desktop computer or drawing on actual paper. But it does get easier :) I plan on doing some tutorials and video classes so we can all sort this out together :)

I’m so happy to hear that Syndee, thank you and I look forward to the tutorials and video classes.   I never realized that Procreate can be used for digital scrapbooking, I thought is was only for drawing and painting!   Now I’m even more intrigued and wanting to learn more.  I even downloaded the Procreate Manual and will actually sit and read it but so far, no go.

I’m REALLY curious as to what we can do in Scrapbooking on Procreate?  Inquiring minds want to know...    :) 

14 hours ago, Syndee said:

Conda, it is very different to write on the iPad. So don't beat yourself up! And you are left-handed (my daughter is too) and as you know most everything is made for right-handers! My daughter actually taught herself to use the mouse and the Wacom pen with her right-hand years ago, just because it was so frustrating. She does great on an iPad now though. It just takes PRACTICE and patience. Which I know is HARD! LOL When I first got my apple pencil and tablet it felt so WIERD! I didn't like it at all! LOL  I am so used to the 'drag' on paper when writing/drawing/sketching on real paper. On the iPad it's smooth and it feels like you are writing on a window or mirror which technically you are because it's glass! LOL

BUT, it gets easier and pretty quickly if you practice at least a little each day. Now it feels weird to me to write on actual paper, and since I have been battling with Arthritis for years, it really helps and allows me to write/sketch for longer periods of time without intense pain and my hand cramping.

I can make up a little practice sheet for everyone and maybe do a little video to go over it with some tips on making it easier. Will put it on my tutorial 'to do' list :)

13 hours ago, MariJ said:

Conda, I can put in another two cents (probably about a dime by now) about the Apple Pencil.   Me too, I’m left handed and seriously, I have to say I have had no problem with it and playing with the iPad - in fact,  I’ve never noticed anything I can’t do or is a pain because of being left-handed.   And I am SO left-handed, I do everything that way.   Like Syndee’s daughter I taught myself to use the trackpad/mouse with my right hand, but not because I had trouble - because I figured that if I used my right hand for that, I’d have my left hand for taking notes and writing without having to put something down!

Syndee’s right that it’s so different writing on iPad because it’s glass and not paper, but practice you DO get used to it pretty quickly; your mind has to just “forget” that it’s not on paper.    Just like in PSE or Procreate when I change from a marker to a pencil to a watercolor brush my brain has to not expect it to technically FEEL that way, but the item works that way.   I did get used to that with no issue.   And, I honestly have never given one thought to being left-handed because there really is nothing that is any different than being left-handed with paper.

The ONLY think I do left handed is write.  I mouse right handed, that was just natural to me.  I know, so weird.  As a hairstyles (used to be) I cut hair right handed.  Scissors, right handed.  My brother and I are the only lefties (ever) that we know of in our family.  He is so totally left handed and doesn't use his right hand for anything.  I thought I remembered you being left handed Marilyn.

I have been on the couch and in bed with a migraine today.  :(  These are rare for me these days, but this one is BAD.  I can finally move and am able to look at a screen, so my playing today has been minimal.

I have my new headphones paired and my Pencil too.  However...the pencil isn't working.  I had this trouble Thursday night when I used it the first time, but it eventually worked. (but I have no idea why it did/din't work!)  I have unpaired/repaired.  Powered on/off.  Nothing.  Battery is at 60%.  So.  I think I will try to clean the kitchen.  Dear husband fixed dinner since I was unable too.  Hopefully I can load the dishwasher...

Will try again shortly.  iPad is in time out right now.  (lol...it's turned off)  Maybe it will play nice later.  

28 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

The ONLY think I do left handed is write.  I mouse right handed, that was just natural to me.  I know, so weird.  As a hairstyles (used to be) I cut hair right handed.  Scissors, right handed.  My brother and I are the only lefties (ever) that we know of in our family.  He is so totally left handed and doesn't use his right hand for anything.  I thought I remembered you being left handed Marilyn.

I have been on the couch and in bed with a migraine today.  :(  These are rare for me these days, but this one is BAD.  I can finally move and am able to look at a screen, so my playing today has been minimal.

I have my new headphones paired and my Pencil too.  However...the pencil isn't working.  I had this trouble Thursday night when I used it the first time, but it eventually worked. (but I have no idea why it did/din't work!)  I have unpaired/repaired.  Powered on/off.  Nothing.  Battery is at 60%.  So.  I think I will try to clean the kitchen.  Dear husband fixed dinner since I was unable too.  Hopefully I can load the dishwasher...

Will try again shortly.  iPad is in time out right now.  (lol...it's turned off)  Maybe it will play nice later.  

Oh dear I am so sorry you aren’t feeling well, Conda!  It seems to be the week for that and we can’t even play with our toys.
I was going to say that every time my Apple Pencil doesn’t work, it needs charging but you answered that before I could.  Are you working in GoodNotes?   I always forget to click back the circled blue “X” at top (or vice versa) and then I blame it on the pencil.

Funny about you only writing left-handed, I wonder how that happened?  It’s funny because in our family none of the parents are left-handed, but half of each family of cousins is and always the first child!  So, 4 of 8 are left-handed and our fathers maintained that meant it came from our Mothers' side!

I giggled at you cleaning the kitchen and iPad on time out.   Don’t overdo, Migraines are awful.   Hope it’s gone, soon, but I know they take a lot out of you.

My iPad is set up and so far I love it!  I haven't had much time to play as we are leaving tomorrow for a few days so there is all that work to be done so we can be gone a few days.  AND the real reason is that we are cleaning like mad since we are bringing my mother-in-law home with us for a few weeks.  Time to get all that deep cleaning done.  Blinds.  Curtains.  Rugs.  Under beds....all the bedding.  The refrigerator...

I do plan to spend time on the road watching you tube videos and playing!

1 hour ago, SodScrap said:

My iPad is set up and so far I love it!  I haven't had much time to play as we are leaving tomorrow for a few days so there is all that work to be done so we can be gone a few days.  AND the real reason is that we are cleaning like mad since we are bringing my mother-in-law home with us for a few weeks.  Time to get all that deep cleaning done.  Blinds.  Curtains.  Rugs.  Under beds....all the bedding.  The refrigerator...

I do plan to spend time on the road watching you tube videos and playing!

I’m so glad you’re enjoying your iPad Conda and that it’s working well!    Yuck to cleaning, but glad you will have time to play on the road.

Safe travels to you.    ?

Hi Girls!

I don't seem to be getting notifications from the message board so I might miss some in this thread. I just finished a quick very basic video on the GoodNotes app. It might cover things you already know but I thought I should start at the very beginning :) If there are specific topics you would like to see in future videos you can reply here and/or email me at: syndeesaid@gmail.com

I know Conda (I think it was Conda!) was asking about saving files as GoodNotes files and how to take SG supplies and save as a whole sheet of individually cropped images. So I have those items on my list - let me know what else!

5 hours ago, Syndee said:

Hi Girls!

I don't seem to be getting notifications from the message board so I might miss some in this thread. I just finished a quick very basic video on the GoodNotes app. It might cover things you already know but I thought I should start at the very beginning :) If there are specific topics you would like to see in future videos you can reply here and/or email me at: syndeesaid@gmail.com

I know Conda (I think it was Conda!) was asking about saving files as GoodNotes files and how to take SG supplies and save as a whole sheet of individually cropped images. So I have those items on my list - let me know what else!

Sounds like the perfect place to start Syndee!  Thank you!

5 hours ago, Syndee said:

Hi Girls!

Great to hear Syndee.   I was just thinking yesterday that I need to get back to this;  when I went to this week I had forgotten what I’d already learned like adding a page.  I tried, but it didn’t work!

I’m also having trouble with writing on the tabs of Kara’s;  Becky or Conda have you tried that?  I go to the first orange tab and write “lists” on it and it shows fine but as soon as I go back to the June page, it doesn’t show!  Grrrrrrrrrr....  Frustrating!

I realised I didn't include the link to the first GoodNotes app video - https://scrapgirls.com/all-posts/using-goodnotes-app-digital-planning-part-1

Please remember this is VERY basic and I was recording the video on my iPad as I was working in the app so it's not a perfect video! LOL It's just more like me talking to a friend and messing up a lot! LOL

I'm working on the worksheet for practicing lettering - I taught a lettering class years and years and years ago, I wish I would have saved all my worksheets and class notes. But it was so long and so many moves ago! Sigh... time has a way of getting away from us!

Ummmmm... I have one that I’m sorry I bought if I knew this would get bigger here and you could help!  :(   I was thinking today I would have been better off with just GoodNotes and I already have one of your planners!

I have mine on my iPad, how can I tell the size, do you know?

I’ll poke around in a little bit and see if I can tell.  OH!!!  :hit-head-with-hammer: but I just realized I downloaded it into my laptop, maybe I can throw it into PSE and look at the size?  I don’t know if that will work or if I can tell.

Since it IS on my laptop, do you know of a way I can tell the size of it?

16 hours ago, Syndee said:

As an FYI for myself how many of you girls are PC users for your desktop computer and only Mac girls as far as having an iPad?

I'm PC for everything, I use the old PSE9 for my scrapping! I have an iPad that I bought and only use for Planning. So that would be me!

10 hours ago, Becster said:

Syndee, thanks so much for the tutorial! It's nice for me to be able to say I understood all of it and already had figured it out before watching! Yay!

Yay! It is very basic, but I thought I should start at the very beginning for those that haven't used GoodNotes yet or have even heard of it :)