Digital Planners...Bujo...Have you heard???

SodScrap

Oh, and it looks like this was answered as well but I thought I would jump in and tell you that I usually always download things to my desktop computer and then put it into either DropBox or iCloud drive. I don't have a ton of space on my iPad - too many apps and never enough space! LOL But also it's just good to have a copy on your Desktop computer. Do any of you have the desktop version of the GoodNotes app? I was sad to see that you have to pay for it if you already have the iPad version. I think that's rude! LOL I would like to have it on both but I don't want to shell out another $7.99 right now. 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/4/2018 at 6:17 AM, MariJ said:

I was reading about it in the App store last night and people were complaining that now it’s an $80 subscription and you need another hardware app to go with it.  Do you know if that’s true, Syndee or anyone?

Man, I keep completely missing questions on here! LOL

So the standard version is a one time fee of $29.99.

Then they have a studio version which is the $80 a year fee. It has extras stuff - I added a screenshot of the two versions. It makes me so mad when they do this type of thing. Sheesh! Looks like the Studio version is only for iPad pro and Apple pencil while the standard you can use any iPad. I will have to play with my Standard version and see if it feels limited. I am NOT going to fork over $80 a year though. So ridiculous. 

Screenshot 2018-08-11 01.20.40.png

To answer you other question Mari, I prefer drawing etc on my iPad pro to my Wacom tablet. But for my Desktop work I prefer the Wacom tablet over a mouse any day. I have in the past used my iPad with the Astropad app to draw on my iPad in Illustrator on my desktop and that is cool - but I have been drawing more on my iPad just sitting in a comfy chair or on the patio or in the car while waiting for my kids etc. And it's so easy to transfer things to my desktop using airdrop or dropbox. 

I have been using Wacom tablets since the late 90's! LOL GAH! That makes me feel so old! The first one I had the pen had a cord! LOL Can you imagine?! That was frustrating to say the least.  

6 hours ago, Syndee said:

You are right Becky! No need to unzip the goodnotes zip file :) Thank you all for jumping in and helping - I am completely exhausted after creating this planner! LOL

I needed a bit of downtime :) I am working on a video walkthrough of the planner - most of you on this thread though already know how it works :) But for those that are new to it and GoodNotes I thought it would be helpful. 

I am also in the midst of several new sticker sets that will be in the GoodNotes format and already cut and ready to use :) Let me know if there are some themes etc you all would like to see for sticker sets :)

Oh, and it looks like this was answered as well but I thought I would jump in and tell you that I usually always download things to my desktop computer and then put it into either DropBox or iCloud drive. I don't have a ton of space on my iPad - too many apps and never enough space! LOL But also it's just good to have a copy on your Desktop computer. Do any of you have the desktop version of the GoodNotes app? I was sad to see that you have to pay for it if you already have the iPad version. I think that's rude! LOL I would like to have it on both but I don't want to shell out another $7.99 right now. 

Thanks  for the info, Syndee!! I thought that's what I would, do download to my desktop (ehd) and the put it in to my DropBox but wasn't for sure. Wow that stinks that it's another fee to be able to use on your computer. Think I'll pass for now.

I can't speak for everyone else on this thread but I am looking forward to the video on the planner. I'm sure you'll showcase something that I might not know about.

Lastly, thank you for doing all of this and so quickly!! I took Goodnotes off my iPad figuring it would take you awhile. So I'll be redownloading and get started on it. So excited!!

To answer you other question Mari, I prefer drawing etc on my iPad pro to my Wacom tablet. But for my Desktop work I prefer the Wacom tablet over a mouse any day. I have in the past used my iPad with the Astropad app to draw on my iPad in Illustrator on my desktop and that is cool - but I have been drawing more on my iPad just sitting in a comfy chair or on the patio or in the car while waiting for my kids etc. And it's so easy to transfer things to my desktop using airdrop or dropbox. 

I have been using Wacom tablets since the late 90's! LOL GAH! That makes me feel so old! The first one I had the pen had a cord! LOL Can you imagine?! That was frustrating to say the least.  

That’s so funny about the pen cord!  I remember my first VCR had a small remote control with play, reverse, stop, pause and fast forward - I think that’s it and it had a cord to the unit!  :D

Syndee what I used my Wacom for was in PSE on my laptop - mostly for extracting because I could get in so much more precisely and closely.    So, would I be able to do that with my iPad Pro and Astropad?   Any drawing I ever do, if I ever do - would be solely on iPad.   I’m more interested in using a tablet when working on my laptop in PSE.    Would Astropad and my iPad be a good Wacom tablet substitute for that use?

15 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Thanks  for the info, Syndee!! I thought that's what I would, do download to my desktop (ehd) and the put it in to my DropBox but wasn't for sure. Wow that stinks that it's another fee to be able to use on your computer. Think I'll pass for now.

I can't speak for everyone else on this thread but I am looking forward to the video on the planner. I'm sure you'll showcase something that I might not know about.

Lastly, thank you for doing all of this and so quickly!! I took Goodnotes off my iPad figuring it would take you awhile. So I'll be redownloading and get started on it. So excited!!

Me too, so excited Kelly!   And me too looking forward to the video - yay!  :)

On 8/7/2018 at 7:41 AM, MariJ said:

I just was able to watch Syndee’s latest VIDEO tutorial on importing into Goodnotes.   Not only was it helpful for that, but also for teaching me more about iPad - things like using split screen, the dock, etc!

I just watched it and it was very helpful. I have one silly question. She talked about the file folder app. Is this something I need to get from the app store or does it already come with our iPads? The split screen thing is so cool.

My questions right now are:

1.  What size (dpi) should our elements be to use in the planner?  If we were to use our digi SG supplies, and why wouldn't we??  I assume best sized in PS then saved at a lower resolution for use.

2.  Are we able to add pages to the planner once it's in Goodnotes?  Not that I think it is necessary, it looks very thorough!  :)  I have a different daily layout that I prefer and wondered if I could create a page (in Procreate?) and add it in??  Just thinking out loud and maybe not well thought out!  ? 

I'm trying to get some work done in the office on Saturday when there aren't any distractions....waaaahhh....I just want to download the planner and play!!

5 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

I just watched it and it was very helpful. I have one silly question. She talked about the file folder app. Is this something I need to get from the app store or does it already come with our iPads? The split screen thing is so cool.

It should be on your iPad by default, the icon is a blue folder on a white background.  If you can't find it, search the App store and it will probably say "open" vs. "get"...Hope this helps!

On 8/11/2018 at 11:06 AM, ladyscrapalot said:

Hey Kelly,
When I got my iPad Pro in Nov ’16 it had no folder/file system so I downloaded the “Filemaster” App which was helpful.
iPads DO now have a folder and file system - I’m pretty sure that I got it in one of the updates; if your iPad is fairly new I think you should have it?

I just looked on my iPad and it’s in the doct next to iTunes, Mail, Safari, iMessage - then there is a blue folder icon which is the file and folder system for iPad.
Do you have that?   I’d think that’s what Syndee is referring to, but I’ll have to go back and check the video later!
Not sure that’s of much help, but.....  :D

9 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

It should be on your iPad by default, the icon is a blue folder on a white background.  If you can't find it, search the App store and it will probably say "open" vs. "get"...Hope this helps!

Oops, sorry, I answered before seeing that Conda did - and much more concisely than me I might add!
If your updates are current you should have it!!

11 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

1.  What size (dpi) should our elements be to use in the planner?  If we were to use our digi SG supplies, and why wouldn't we??  I assume best sized in PS then saved at a lower resolution for use.

2.  Are we able to add pages to the planner once it's in Goodnotes?  Not that I think it is necessary, it looks very thorough!  :)  I have a different daily layout that I prefer and wondered if I could create a page (in Procreate?) and add it in??  Just thinking out loud and maybe not well thought out!  ? 

I'm trying to get some work done in the office on Saturday when there aren't any distractions....waaaahhh....I just want to download the planner and play!!

I had a list of questions I was just searching for on my bed and can’t find it - too many lists!!!!  Good reason for a planner, huh -- and one of the reasons I wanted it, to get rid of all the paper-scrap lists!   Conda, I thought of you when I saw the sticky note hearts. :) 

And, thanks!  One of my questions was also can we delete/add pages in order to get them in the sequence we want and how we want and need them?  In places there are more than I’d want and in other places less.   I see we can click the “+” on the top left to add pages above or below, but where would we get the page?   THinking outloud and ahead since I’m really not set up yet!

And, yes!  I’d like to be able to use my great SG supplies so good question about size.  

Now, Conda - can you please ask my other questions so I can remember what they are?!!!!  :rofl:

6 minutes ago, MariJ said:

Oops, sorry, I answered before seeing that Conda did - and much more concisely than me I might add!

I am the worst at explaining things...I never know how to call things their correct name...just what I call them in my own head...?

1 minute ago, SodScrap said:

I am the worst at explaining things...I never know how to call things their correct name...just what I call them in my own head...?

Conda, that’s so funny - I am same.  I often very much understand and know how to do things, but explain by names?   Clueless.   I STILL after all these years have no idea what the tool bar, task bar, etc is.  I’ve asked questions like - you know, that strip across the top with...............

Your answer was great!  I always say too much and repeat myself and often get too confusing!   :hit-head-with-hammer:

2 minutes ago, MariJ said:

I had a list of questions I was just searching for on my bed and can’t find it - too many lists!!!!  Good reason for a planner, huh -- and one of the reasons I wanted it, to get rid of all the paper-scrap lists!   Conda, I thought of you when I saw the sticky note hearts. :) 

And, thanks!  One of my questions was also can we delete/add pages in order to get them in the sequence we want and how we want and need them?  In places there are more than I’d want and in other places less.   I see we can click the “+” on the top left to add pages above or below, but where would we get the page?   THinking outloud and ahead since I’m really not set up yet!

And, yes!  I’d like to be able to use my great SG supplies so good question about size.  

Now, Conda - can you please ask my other questions so I can remember what they are?!!!!  :rofl:

One of my other questions (that hasn't been thought through yet...) is regarding using our digi supplies...like Syndee's SS planner items.  I need to look at those but I think those would implement nicely!!  

Sticky notes....AHHHH.  I have far too many of them on my desk right now...LOVE love the pink heart sticky notes.  I will be using these sticky notes!!  UBER cute!

Just now, MariJ said:

Conda, that’s so funny - I am same.  I often very much understand and know how to do things, but explain by names?   Clueless.   I STILL after all these years have no idea what the tool bar, task bar, etc is.  I’ve asked questions like - you know, that strip across the top with...............

Your answer was great!  I always say too much and repeat myself and often get too confusing!   :hit-head-with-hammer:

EXACTLY!!!  Those three dots are in one of the corners...LOL...I would literally have to look to see where they are to explain it but if I was doing it, I wouldn't have to think!  

On 8/11/2018 at 11:32 AM, SodScrap said:

One of my other questions (that hasn't been thought through yet...) is regarding using our digi supplies...like Syndee's SS planner items.  I need to look at those but I think those would implement nicely!!  

Sticky notes....AHHHH.  I have far too many of them on my desk right now...LOVE love the pink heart sticky notes.  I will be using these sticky notes!!  UBER cute!

Yes, I have that planner too!   Many items I’d like to use but not sure about size and I remember Becky saying you had to import one-by-one.   

Just now, SodScrap said:

EXACTLY!!!  Those three dots are in one of the corners...LOL...I would literally have to look to see where they are to explain it but if I was doing it, I wouldn't have to think!  

EXACTLY yes for sure - we get it!   I’m not sure if that’s good or not, but at least I know who will understand my question!  :D

Just now, MariJ said:

Yes, I have that planner too!   Many items I’d like to use but not sure about size and I remember Becky saying you had to import one-by-one.   

I could never figure out how to print them the way I wanted them...Now that I think about it, I made some planner pages years ago...those would be perfect IF I knew how to size them correctly for a planner....

Just now, MariJ said:

EXACTLY yes for sure - we get it!   I’m not sure if that’s good or not, but at least I know who will understand my question!  :D

I am always in awe of those who do the tutorials for us!!  They do such a great job.  Hmmm...noone has ever asked me to do a tutorial before...?

2 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

I am always in awe of those who do the tutorials for us!!  They do such a great job.  Hmmm...noone has ever asked me to do a tutorial before...?

Haha, me neither now I think of it.   We could do it, we’d just have to have a translator for things like, “click on that little blue doo-hickey in the bottom left corner."

38 minutes ago, MariJ said:

Haha, me neither now I think of it.   We could do it, we’d just have to have a translator for things like, “click on that little blue doo-hickey in the bottom left corner."

I have a feeling I would totally understand your tutorials Marilyn!!  ?

1 hour ago, SodScrap said:

59 minutes ago, MariJ said:

Hey Kelly,
When I got my iPad Pro in Nov ’16 it had no folder/file system so I downloaded the “Filemaster” App which was helpful.
iPad DO now have a folder and file system - I’m pretty sure that I got it in one of the updates; if your iPad is fairly new I think you should have it?

I just looked on my iPad and it’s in the doct next to iTunes, Mail, Safari, iMessage - then there is a blue folder icon which is the file and folder system for iPad.
Do you have that?   I’d think that’s what Syndee is referring to, but I’ll have to go back and check the video later!
Not sure that’s of much help, but.....  :D

58 minutes ago, MariJ said:

Thank you ladies! Both of you were very helpful!! About to head out for the rest of the day will look into later. ?

17 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Kelly, the file app showed up in one of the latest Apple iOS updates and should already be on your iPad if you have the latest new on the iPad and iPhone since the lastest Apple operating system update. The icon just has a little File folder on it and is called Files.

Here's more info on it:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206481

17 hours ago, SodScrap said:

1 - Your elements can be a lower dpi for use in GoodNotes. Since the planner is meant only to be used on a device and not printed you don't need to have the higher (300 dpi) resolution. It will take up less space if you use lower res items. I think GoodNotes optimizes images inside the app so they end up being smaller. I don't generally change the size or resolution of images when I upload them to dropbox or iCloud (too time consuming) but like I said once I drag them into GoodNotes I think they are optimized to be a smaller file. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

2 - Yes, you can add pages. I am working on a video to add the covers to your planner so it would basically be the same method to add pages. I can touch on adding pages as well :)

3 - Can't wait till you can play with the planner! Let us know how it goes and also if you would like to see other pages/stickers/elements let me know!

17 hours ago, MariJ said:

And, thanks!  One of my questions was also can we delete/add pages in order to get them in the sequence we want and how we want and need them?  In places there are more than I’d want and in other places less.   I see we can click the “+” on the top left to add pages above or below, but where would we get the page?   THinkingoutloud and ahead since I’m really not set up yet!

Yes, you can add and delete pages. I will be covering that in the video. I have the outline sketched out so hopefully I will be filming it in the next day or so. Just needed a wee break! LOL

18 hours ago, MariJ said:

That’s so funny about the pen cord!  I remember my first VCR had a small remote control with play, reverse, stop, pause and fast forward - I think that’s it and it had a cord to the unit!  :D

Syndee what I used my Wacom for was in PSE on my laptop - mostly for extracting because I could get in so much more precisely and closely.    So, would I be able to do that with my iPad Pro and Astropad?   Any drawing I ever do, if I ever do - would be solely on iPad.   I’m more interested in using a tablet when working on my laptop in PSE.    Would Astropad and my iPad be a good Wacom tablet substitute for that use?

Marilyn, yes extracting is something you could do using your iPad and Astropad. But since I haven't played with it in a while I think maybe wait until I can see if it still works the way it did when I first bought it. Now that they have the 'subscription' version I am just not sure that they didn't maybe take away some of the functionality to try and get people to buy the subscription. Sigh.... So maddening! The one thing that is good about Astropad though is that you can get to your digi supplies on your desktop without having to upload them to dropbox or iCloud.

5 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

I’m getting the hang of using Syndee’s planner, it’s sooo pretty! Now I just need to figure out what or how I want to use it for. I’ve seen lots of ideas on Pinterest just haveto pick out which ones I like. ☺️ So fun!!

I am just playing wiht mine, too Kelly - it’s a lot of fun!   
Part of what I want to use mine for is the health things like my walking each day - to keep track of that.  But I never thought of looking for planner-use ideas on Pinterest - thanks for that tip.

I’m off to bed for now, ‘nite!  :going-to-sleep: