Let's Talk!

angleigh

So, we have a little deck garden with 3 tomato plants (2 cherry tomatoes, 1 beefsteak), some parsley and basil and lots of flowers. We had 5 cherry tomatoes yesterday and man, there is nothing like freshly picked tomatoes! We've used some of the parsley and basil (in meatballs) too.

Anyone else gardening this summer, large or small?

My husband has a quarter acre veggie garden. Corn squash tomatoes potatoes and I don't know what else. He has it arranged so he can weed with his tractor. 

Yesterday there were 3 deer, 2 rabbits and and woodchuck in it. ? But we still manage to get enough. He has a sprinkler system set up and planted raspberries down the back of it. It gets him out of the house and asking "what's for dinner?" before lunchtime. ?

I used to have 18 flower beds but sadly those are gone. But I enjoyed gardening for many years.

We have a lot of deer around here, so that's why I have a deck garden where the deer can't get it. And the weeds, either...I hate weeding. I'd garden all day if I didn't have to weed. I love planting, don't mind watering and love the colors. My parents had a pretty big garden when I was a kid and after dinner, we had to weed, harvest or water before we could go play with friends.

3 hours ago, barbaraj said:

My husband has a quarter acre veggie garden. Corn squash tomatoes potatoes and I don't know what else. He has it arranged so he can weed with his tractor. 

Yesterday there were 3 deer, 2 rabbits and and woodchuck in it. ? But we still manage to get enough. He has a sprinkler system set up and planted raspberries down the back of it. It gets him out of the house and asking "what's for dinner?" before lunchtime. ?

I used to have 18 flower beds but sadly those are gone. But I enjoyed gardening for many years.

Your husband’s garden sounds awesome!  I love visiting my sister and helping in her garden - and the results sure are yummy!

2 hours ago, CRS said:

We have a lot of deer around here, so that's why I have a deck garden where the deer can't get it. And the weeds, either...I hate weeding. I'd garden all day if I didn't have to weed. I love planting, don't mind watering and love the colors. My parents had a pretty big garden when I was a kid and after dinner, we had to weed, harvest or water before we could go play with friends.

We’ve got deer around here, too.   Someone I know actually had them come up ONTO the deck to get to the deck garden!

1 hour ago, MariJ said:

Your husband’s garden sounds awesome!  I love visiting my sister and helping in her garden - and the results sure are yummy!

We’ve got deer around here, too.   Someone I know actually had them come up ONTO the deck to get to the deck garden!

I worried about that, but between the fenced in backyard (we've had several jump the fence and get stuck back there) and the way our deck stairs are, they would have to be pretty desperate to eat our flowers! Plus we have the most fiercest guard dog in the world, rofl! He'd probably try to play with them and invite them up!

19 minutes ago, CRS said:

I worried about that, but between the fenced in backyard (we've had several jump the fence and get stuck back there) and the way our deck stairs are, they would have to be pretty desperate to eat our flowers! Plus we have the most fiercest guard dog in the world, rofl! He'd probably try to play with them and invite them up!

Awwwww....   Buddy’s such a nice guy he probably would!  ?

OOh I love Buddy all the way down here in NZ!!!?

I did a good garden this year and was so keen we are still eating from it now (middle of winter) Only kale and some hardy cabbages but still is greens and that has to be good for you right???? Some of the things we got in the summer were, peas, lettuce, cabbage, beans, courgettes, tomatoes, carrots, rhubarb, and brocolli (with no bugs in it?)

I'm not sure a garden would survive in the heat here...it's been SO stinking hot.  It's to the point that I've got every blind in the house shut, trying to keep the sun/heat out.  I think heat index was almost 110 today, and not a break coming anytime soon

5 hours ago, Ngaire said:

OOh I love Buddy all the way down here in NZ!!!?

I did a good garden this year and was so keen we are still eating from it now (middle of winter) Only kale and some hardy cabbages but still is greens and that has to be good for you right???? Some of the things we got in the summer were, peas, lettuce, cabbage, beans, courgettes, tomatoes, carrots, rhubarb, and brocolli (with no bugs in it?)

Wow, that’s awesome!  I’ve never had fresh broccoli, I’ll have to hint to my sister!

6 hours ago, angleigh said:

I'm not sure a garden would survive in the heat here...it's been SO stinking hot.  It's to the point that I've got every blind in the house shut, trying to keep the sun/heat out.  I think heat index was almost 110 today, and not a break coming anytime soon

I think your heat is headed here, temps near 100 this weekend. Keeping the garden watered is a challenge, not just the heat but because they are in containers.

42 minutes ago, CRS said:

I think your heat is headed here, temps near 100 this weekend. Keeping the garden watered is a challenge, not just the heat but because they are in containers.

Us too!  NJ is going to 91 today, then 95 then 100 on Sunday!   Looks like the days following will be in the 90’s too.   So, summer has arrived....   :happy-sun:

7 hours ago, barbaraj said:

We're in for a heat wave next week here on the East Coast.

Yes!   We started today in NJ with 92º and it will be hotter tomorrow and supposed to be 99-100º on Sunday!   Then, next week in the 90’s too.
But you all in the middle have had it much longer!

Archived