High Sierra problem

Rosemarythyme

I'm going crazy using Finder on the lastest High Sierra update.  Finder will work for a couple minutes then I get the spinning disk. I've tried changing and then deleting code in my library as advised on Google but again that only works for a few minutes.  I have 48G memory so that's not a problem. Is anyone else having this problem or know what can be done?  I'm ready to take it to the Mac doctor for a checkup...

Hi Sondra,
Back in the Fall I had a Mac issue and in the middle of it was convinced (by AppleCare) to update to High Sierra.  HUGE Finder issues after that.  I kid you not - it was when I had just had foot surgery so was sitting around anyway - but I literally spent hours on the phone with them for two weeks straight.   My issue was when Finder was in “picture” view a little thumbnail from a finder page (like a scrapbook paper) would “stick” on the finder screen.  No matter what I did or moved to it was there.  When we tried to look at it the cursor would turn into a million moving lines and arrows, it was incredible!  They had me working with the supervisor and he was stumped and totally amazed!  We tried all kinds of things to make it go away with no success.   Then one day he was sick and a new supervisor researched it again and in the interim a few other people had reported this sort of problem!   Again - totally unknown to anyone.   And there was no fix, only a “workaround” (Grrrrrrrrr).    They told me that since our work had been documented and others now showing up that eventually it would be fixed in some update - I probably wouldn’t even know it, but to be sure to do each update.   Which I do anyway.....  Yet,  it happened again yesterday.

Their “workaround" for me was to view Finder in the “list" view instead of "picture” which I don’t like doing in my scrapbook folder because I like to SEE things.  (Grrrrrrr again!)   And, then what else was suggested was to press “Command-Option-Escape” at the same time and when the Force Quit menu comes up to “Relaunch” Finder.   It does, but it’s a real pain.  Luckily it doesn’t happen a lot lately, but for sure I understand your pain.

Do you have Apple Care or tried calling the 1-800-692-7753 number?  I’ve had much more success with that than with the Genius Bar at the Apple Store.

Good luck;  I don’t know that this is any help to you, but at least you know you’re not alone with Finder issues.

Mari, at least we’re not alone! I’ve tried everything you suggested, even to adding code to the Finder library file...that worked once but soon reverted back. I don’t have Apple Care and there is an Apple store near to where I live but getting an app’t takes quite a while.  There is a Mac certified repair group here that has a great reputation and is pretty reasonable.  I’m going to try them tomorrow.

I’ve been working on backing up my 50,000+ photos online and just get started with another folder when the d*** Finder acts up. I would gladly go back to El Capitan OS but am afraid to try as I can’t backup to Time Machine now and am afraid of losing everything.  At least my photos and scrapbooking stuff are on separate EHDs and I’m not worried about them -yet.

Thanks for your reply; I’ll keep you posted on any success or not.

5 hours ago, Rosemarythyme said:

Mari, at least we’re not alone! I’ve tried everything you suggested, even to adding code to the Finder library file...that worked once but soon reverted back. I don’t have Apple Care and there is an Apple store near to where I live but getting an app’t takes quite a while.  There is a Mac certified repair group here that has a great reputation and is pretty reasonable.  I’m going to try them tomorrow.

I’ve been working on backing up my 50,000+ photos online and just get started with another folder when the d*** Finder acts up. I would gladly go back to El Capitan OS but am afraid to try as I can’t backup to Time Machine now and am afraid of losing everything.  At least my photos and scrapbooking stuff are on separate EHDs and I’m not worried about them -yet.

Thanks for your reply; I’ll keep you posted on any success or not.

Good luck Sondra!  I never had Apple Care, but with this laptop the salesman threw it in for free since he couldn’t discount the computer.  I always thought it a waste  to pay that much money for an Apple product and then pay more for help; but with the time they spent with me I have a little different viewpoint now.  I asked the guy a few times if he was being so attentive to me because of Apple Care and he kind of hedged and said, well - we always try to be helpful. (!)  Mine just ran out in June so I’m on my own.  

Have you tried the Apple 1-800 #?  What amazed me was that they have the whole database of all issues sent in to Apple so often as we were working the guy was looking things up (or entering my problem).   I think they might be more attentive if you have Apple Care, but it’s there for everyone.  

It’s a shame you have to go to a repair group since it’s not a hardware problem but it seems like you’ve tried everything else.  
I use Finder so much so I can understand how frustrating (& scary with thoughts of losing things) this would be.   In the middle of my 2 weeks of issues we backed up to a new EHD then wiped my laptop clean (numerous times - long story) and then the laptop wouldn’t recognize the EHD.  I had a sleepless night and it was the first time the Apple guy sounded flustered, but whew....  He got it to work the next day!

Good luck and yes, please post how you make out.

PS - I’m just going to 32,000 photos in Photos so I’m glad I’m not alone in volume.  :) 

Mari, the repair guy said it sounded like a software (OS) problem. He said the Finder problem was a new one; I said I knew 2 others who have the same problem. I think they’ll install a new OS, but I’m worried cause no backup could be made.  I have lots of scrap kits in download that hadn’t been added to my EHD. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Oh, dear I’m sorry to hear that Sondra.   My first Apple laptop lasted 8 years with no hard drive problems;  this current one was just 3 years old.  So, that’s a good thing to be aware of.   Good luck and I hope that solves your problems.  :) 

Archived