Photoshop CC18 Mac Question

Ngaire

I'v just updated my photoshop and now I can not for the life of me open a photo or file from my desk top in photoshop. I can open them from my EHD but not from my desktop. This is quite frustrating and was wondering do any of you clever ladies know the answer or is anyone else having the same problem?

I’m not sure if this helps, Ngaire, but when I had PSE6 I could drag a photo from iPhoto directly into PSE to use it.  Once I upgraded to PSE13 I can’t do that anymore.  If I try to drap directly from the Photos App, nothing happens.  I have to drag all photos I want to use directly into downloads, documents or desktop (or any other folder) then drag from there into PSE.   It’s such a pain but I haven’t found any other way to do it.  So I end up with having to drag there, then delete - so time consuming and silly.

I don't use a Mac or have CC any version, but what you both have described doesn't seem user friendly to me at all. There has to be a work around that isn't as time consuming as Marilyn described. Hopefully someone will know the answer and can help you both. Why do companies change the things that work? Grrr!

1 hour ago, CRS said:

I don't use a Mac or have CC any version, but what you both have described doesn't seem user friendly to me at all. There has to be a work around that isn't as time consuming as Marilyn described. Hopefully someone will know the answer and can help you both. Why do companies change the things that work? Grrr!

I’ve been trying to read up on it yet again now that Ngaire brought it up - you’re right Carla it’s time consuming AND a pain!  Some of what I’m reading is that it’s not PSE it’s the newer Apple OS and updates.  I don’t know if that’s true, nor can remember if I updated when it happened to me, I just know it started with my new PSE13.

What I’m reading says you can change admistrative permissions, but that’s a bit scary to me and I’d have to have someone who really knows and I trust tell me to do that before I would.
When I drag photos to other places, it’s supposedly not another copy of the photo, but a shortcut to the original, so technically you’re not adding more to your hard drive, etc.   But it is a huge pain in the neck, especially if you’re using a lot of photos!  Because then I also have to go back and delete those extra copies once I put them in PSE.   Exhausting!

I did find that I can sometimes tag photos as “favorites” in Photos and then try to directly import FROM PSE.   But that doesn’t seem to always work, nor could I add to favorites after the first time, I’d have to reset, etc.   Not sure that’s all true but at any rate it didn’t work well enough for me to use so I’m still dragging and dropping 2 times and places...

All of my photos open in photoshop. If you gp to settings you can set it up. I double click on an image and it automatically opens in photoshop. It used to direct them to my PSE but i changed it in my settings somewhere. I’m half out the door and will look up what I did when I get back.

Oh thanks ladies for responding. Yes Marilyn it sure is a pain and I think I am kinda doing what you are doing but I don't have to shift mine. I have to go to my EHD find what I want to use then open from there. I don't store very much on my hard drive. I guess its just getting used to doing something a new way. ?These companies seem to take pleasure in taking us out of our comfort zones!!

I look forward to what you have to say Andrea, be good if its only changing a setting but I'm like Marilyn and need my hand held for those sort of procedures!???

• 2 weeks later...

Archived