Loading Styles In Pse5

Tigerbaby1981

This is probably better answered by someone else, since I haven't used PSE5, but I'll try to help. When "layer styles" is chosen in the "styles and effects" palette, and you click the little down arrow, do you see the style at all? Or is it not there?

I cant find "layer" styles but I can find style which is where all the preset styles are but everytime i load the new one I cant see it in the drop down menu. and that lil message saying its loading doesnt appear either.

There are new directions for loading Styles. They come with new purchases because they are specific to PSE 5 (different that PSE 2, 3, or 4) and More Secrets have been updated, too, with the directions. If you happen to be loading directions that were built prior to PSE 5 coming out, email hello@scrapgirls.com and Angie will send you a link to the new PSE 5 directions. We tried to let everyone know about it.

• 3 weeks later...
Tigerbaby, did you figure this out? I have not. I still have PSE 4.0 on my system just incase I need to use my SG styles! I followed the step to show hidden folders, but I don't have a "Photo Creations" subfolder. All of my styles are in a subfolder under "Presets" and copying the style folder to this subfolder doesn't work. Ugh!

Although there is a "styles" folder within the "Presets" folder, that's not what you're looking for. This is the path you want to take:

Local Disk C > Documents and Settings > All Users > Application Data > Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 5.0 > Photo Creations > special effects

Most directions will tell you to place the style folder into the special effects folder, but I do it a little differently. I have a folder named "Scrap Girls" within the special effects folder, and I put all Scrap Girls style folders within that folder. It works without any problems, and while using the software I find it easier to find the Scrap Girls styles when they're set apart from the styles that came with the program.

Clear as mud? ;)

I hope that helps! :)

Guest Sharebear57
I just got PSE5 for christmas. I am going to try to load my styles following Susan's directions in just a few mins. I hope it works!
I don't recall seeing the SG instructions for laoding styles in PSE5.
I am confused about the loading the whole folder into the program. I think my styles are just all in one folder right now and the folders they came in are deleted. Maybe it will make more sense once I get in there and try to do it.

Guest Sharebear57
I can't do it either. I can get as far as Local Disk C > Documents and Settings > All Users, but there is no folder called "Application Data" in my All Users folder.
I am going to try to hunt down the SG instructions to see if they are any more help.

Why did they have to maje it so difficult?!? What was wrong with the old regular, EASY way?!?

Guest Sharebear57
Ok, I got it using the SG PDF. The folder was hidden. Thats was was messing me up. Tricky, tricky...

(I still think they should've kept it the easy way, though)

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Tigerbaby1981' post='79861' date='Dec 29 2006, 04:14 PM']Hey Susan nope havent figured it out Ive tried many times cant find Photo Creations.. Hmm Im soo lost with this..[/quote]

Did you ever figure out where 'Photo Creations' is? I'm trying to load my first tool...

Hi Patti! The Photo Creations folder is a hidden one, so you'll need to "show hidden folders" first.

From Windows Explorer, click on Tools, then Folder Options. This brings up a dialog box with multiple tabs. Click on the View tab. In the Advanced Settings box you'll see a list of items with checkboxes. Look for "Show hidden files and folders" and click on the circle in front of it.

Now you should be able to find the Photo Creations folder... let me know! :)

Hi lgsouthfla,

I'm not quite sure exactly where you are in the process, so how about if I recap it from start to finish? Jump in wherever you need to:

First, go into Windows Explorer (not PSE5)
Unzip the style you downloaded (should end up with an .asl file within a folder)
Make sure all hidden folders can be seen:
Go to Tools, then Folder Options
Click on View tab
Click on the circle in front of "show hidden files and folders"
Now follow the following path and put the style folder in the Layer Styles folder:
C > Documents and Settings > All Users > Application Data > Adobe >
Photoshop Elements > 5.0 > Photo Creations > special effects > layer styles
For PSE5, it is essential that the style have its own folder, just as Ro said above
Now open up PSE5 - it should take a little longer than usual, and you should get a quick message that says something
to the effect of "please wait, adjusting pallette....." (I forget the exact wording)
This message won't actually ask you to do anything - it goes away when PSE is fully fired up
Go to the column on the right to the bar that says Artwork and Effects. This is the style pallette.
If the little triange in front of "Artwork and Effects" is not pointing down, click on it to open the style pallette
There are five little buttons just under the words "Artwork and Effects" - you want the one dead center, left of the "T"
Under the buttons, the word "Special Effects" will appear
Click on the drop-down menu under the words "Special Effects"
Click on Layer Styles
Now go to the right-hand drop-down menu and click on the arrow, and look for your newly loaded style

Is it there?

This can be so frustrating at first, but once you've done it once or twice, it's a piece of cake. I promise!

Hi, Susan

Thank you so much. I was also following the wrong path. In my computer I was following all users ,but I needed to follow all users windows. Thanks so much!!!! I was going crazy because the other path is so similiar.

Linda

[quote name='Susan Neff' post='101390' date='Feb 20 2007, 11:43 PM']Hi lgsouthfla,

I'm not quite sure exactly where you are in the process, so how about if I recap it from start to finish? Jump in wherever you need to:

First, go into Windows Explorer (not PSE5)
Unzip the style you downloaded (should end up with an .asl file within a folder)
Make sure all hidden folders can be seen:
Go to Tools, then Folder Options
Click on View tab
Click on the circle in front of "show hidden files and folders"
Now follow the following path and put the style folder in the Layer Styles folder:
C > Documents and Settings > All Users > Application Data > Adobe >
Photoshop Elements > 5.0 > Photo Creations > special effects > layer styles
For PSE5, it is essential that the style have its own folder, just as Ro said above
Now open up PSE5 - it should take a little longer than usual, and you should get a quick message that says something
to the effect of "please wait, adjusting pallette....." (I forget the exact wording)
This message won't actually ask you to do anything - it goes away when PSE is fully fired up
Go to the column on the right to the bar that says Artwork and Effects. This is the style pallette.
If the little triange in front of "Artwork and Effects" is not pointing down, click on it to open the style pallette
There are five little buttons just under the words "Artwork and Effects" - you want the one dead center, left of the "T"
Under the buttons, the word "Special Effects" will appear
Click on the drop-down menu under the words "Special Effects"
Click on Layer Styles
Now go to the right-hand drop-down menu and click on the arrow, and look for your newly loaded style

Is it there?

This can be so frustrating at first, but once you've done it once or twice, it's a piece of cake. I promise![/quote]

• 3 weeks later...
I feel like a 1st class dork for having to ask after all of the directions above, but I have done exactly what they say and it's still not working. I can see them in the special effects/ layer styles folder in the explorer view, but the don't show up in PSE 5. What should I do now?

RoseAnn, make sure that PSE is not open when you install the styles. I would suggest maybe to take that folder out and then try and reinstall it again. Maybe someone else will have better insight into this than I. I didn't have any problems with mine at all. Sorry I can't be of more help

Archived