Suggestions for softening a photo

SJDodd

If anyone can answer this question, I know Scrapgirls can!  I recently read a very helpful article on the Scrapgirls site about duplicating a photo and using Screen to lighten it.  Awesome!  It was so helpful.

I have a photo (up close, facial shot) that I would like to "soften" for lack of a better word and am wondering if there is a filter or a screen or something to just adjust it a tad.  It's a photo that I would like to use on a brochure, so I need a close up, but hey, CLOSE up is a little too CLOSE up!

Any suggestions would be awesome!  I am using PSE 14.

Thanks in advance!

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

I use PSE 13 and see there is under the “Filter” menu > a selection for “Blur” > with lots of choices.  
I’ve never used these, but someone once used “Gaussian” on a closeup facial shot to soften it and it did!

Sorry I can’t be more specific, but maybe you can try playing with those filters and see what you get?   Hopefully someone else will come along who knows more.
Let us know how you make out.  :)

I use gaussian blur on most of my layouts to soften and blend images and embellishment

You could create a shape ( rectangular or square - the darker the colour the more you will see of your photo) select the gaussian blur tool. You may have to rasterize your shape but you should be prompted by your software and clip your photo to it. You can make all sorts of adjustment to the mask, by dragging it, using the erasing brush or any other eraser brush without having to make any adjustment to your photo.  (I use photoshop CS6)

Something like this, a rectangular shape behind your photo
Untitled-1.jpg.9819f6eaf01f2d32ae6fe938864808d0.jpg

Gaussian filter is applied to the shape and photo clipped to the shape, I brushed around with a soft round brush on the mask and duplicate it and clipped a paper to this mask, you can adjust the opacity on your mask and adjust the size, without having to change anything to your photo.

2.jpg.2cf5ada0d90d8b61561a85cf4bcd9725.jpg

I also use the posterise edges (filter gallery) in some close up shots just to hide some of the imperfection :D
3.jpg.c0e5b6289e45078cf72be5a65245624a.jpg

Hope this is helpful, have fun and I would love to see your creation! :)

2 hours ago, englishrose said:

I agree with Marilyn - Gaussian blur would be the best solution. If you duplicate your photo onto another layer, apply the blur then use a layer mask to bring back areas that you don't want to apply the blur to (the eyes and mouth perhaps?).

28 minutes ago, Marie-Christine said:

I use gaussian blur on most of my layouts to soften and blend images and embellishment.

Something like this, a rectangular shape behind your photo

Hilary and Marie I’m so glad to read your directions and am going to save them both; now I know how to use Gaussian blur.  Thanks to both of you!  :) 

Marie, I’m never sure how to do this.  How do you make the rectangular shape that you put behind the photo in your first example?

14 minutes ago, MariJ said:

Hilary and Marie I’m so glad to read your directions and am going to save them both; now I know how to use Gaussian blur.  Thanks to both of you!  :) 

Marie, I’m never sure how to do this.  How do you make the rectangular shape that you put behind the photo in your first example?

Hi Marilyn, in potoshop I select the shape tool, rectangular or ellipse shape or any other shape you want to use, and just draw the shape in the size I need.

4.jpg.e10b19aa5f83e8267d4d204646448b0a.jpg

5.jpg.c7479ef6d8eb18b8a864596a1db5a724.jpg
I then use the gaussian blur  according to how blurry I want to make it look.
Photoshop will prompt you to  to rasterize the shape before continuing with the blur
6.jpg.7e80baafb766883acf1cf775887683cc.jpg

7.jpg.daa23885464948e26b3cc379f2fb4da5.jpg
Here you see the shape with the gaussian blur applied. Depending on the size of the shape and the amount of blur you use it changes quite a bit.

I tried to take a screenshot of the blur setting but it wouldn't copy& paste

8.jpg.fdae93801fc2665ce201ee819f986f04.jpg
This example shows a photo clipped to the mask, you can adjust the shape which is now being used as a mask, change the opacity or use an eraser brush 
9.jpg.c43ace6e9503a133889887403fb27b3e.jpg
like this, shape reduced in size and I have softened the edges of the shape with the soft round brush with my opacity set to approx 74%. You can also change the opacity of the shape. I love using this tool.

Hope this helps a little let me know how you get on! :)

11 minutes ago, Marie-Christine said:

10.thumb.jpg.6a0788d4c5dd82c1777269fa18adc3f5.jpg

Here is the gaussian blur image :)

Thank you SO much, Marie - this all is very helpful and I’ve added it to my saved document!   I love blending and now I know how to make my own masks with shapes, I’ve never used that tool.    And, now I also know how you create some of those beautifully blended photos in your layouts.  :)  

I just tried this in PhotoShop Elements and it works!  

8 minutes ago, MariJ said:

Thank you SO much, Marie - this all is very helpful and I’ve added it to my saved document!   I love blending and now I know how to make my own masks with shapes, I’ve never used that tool.    And, now I also know how you create some of those beautifully blended photos in your layouts.  :)  

I just tried this in PhotoShop Elements and it works!  

Yeah, good I'm so glad that it works - once you played a bit with the settings and using different colors in the shapes, it gives a different depth to the mask too. I hope you enjoy using it as much as I do:)

6 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

This is so fabulous to know!! If I could just my mojo back I will give this a go. Yeah, I know I should just start playing around and give it a whirl!

Your mojo must be off on some nice tropical island with mine and Carla's.  Too bad they didn't take us all with them.  

Archived