Camera photography ?

alsoarty

Hello everyone.  I’m just wanting to know if you use your camera or you cellphone to snap your photos. Do you use aperture, depth of field etc when taking photos? Or just shoot on Auto settings? Do you understand all the features of your camera? I know I struggle to understand all the features of my camera, but really need to know what I’m doing. Lauren (my daughter) is a professional photographer, but gets frustrated with me trying to explain it all. She thinks my brain should get it on the first try. Things are sometimes backwards to what my brain thinks. Like setting ISO (the easy one) to stops (numbers get me) and so on.

I don’t have a smart phone, but even so - really would rather use my camera.   I have a small Canon point-and-shoot that I love and that works well!  My cousin gave me her daughter’s Nikon SLR which is “better” but gives me a bit of trouble so I don’t shoot as great photos.   I don’t understand all the features of my camera and there are many settings I don’t know about or use.   But, since everyone loves my photos, I don’t worry about that.

When I graduated from College I used my graduation money to buy a Minolta SLR which I loved (in the day of film, not digital).   I knew then about depth of field etc and how to set that all and experiment.   Now, I mostly use “auto” and very occasionally a few other settings.  

I use both! I like my phone for convenience but I get frustrated with the zoom. I love my DSLR, and don't use manual settings, but I don't set everything manually either. I tend to use landscape, portrait, close up and no flash setting the most. I will manually focus to achieve depth of field, too.

I have only had a smart phone for a few months and am still getting used to the camera on it - it's great for candids and the odd snapshot. I've had aCanon DSLR for about the same length of time (I had a Panasonic bridge camera before). I love the shallow depth of field it gives me. I use it mostly on Aperture Priority and am working up to going fully manual - I've watched my fill of YouTube videos exhorting me to do it!

I shake too (familial tremor) so I have a hard time using my cell phone for closeup photos, or my DSLR without a flash or on manual focus.  You have to be so steady without a flash.  A few years ago I started learning about ISO, F stops, depth of field, but don’t remember much now... I got a new phone recently and I like the photos in bright light at wide angle, but not for closeups.  My DSLR I mostly use on automatic, with or without a flash.

I have taken classes and watched you tube until I can't stand anymore but I'm still too nervous to take my camera off auto. I figure I only have one shot at getting the photos because the kids grow and change and it's not like you can have a do-over for a birthday party or school graduation. I have a really old canon dslr that I drag out only occasionally. Mostly I use by i phone which really I bought for the camera lol. I also have a small canon point and shoot but I rarely use it. In the end it's all about the light no matter what you use to take photos. If all my photos could be taken outdoors they would be a lot better!

I use my iPhone when I don't want to carry the "good camera" as I call it. It's a Canon and I love it but it is heavy and bulky. I still struggle with some settings but like Carla use landscape, portrait, close up and no flash setting. I use those easier setting rather than miss the shot. We are going to Cuba in April so I have been brushing up on some of the features of my camera to get ready for that great photo op. Have fun taking pictures everyone.

28 minutes ago, beatricemi said:

I have taken classes and watched you tube until I can't stand anymore but I'm still too nervous to take my camera off auto. I figure I only have one shot at getting the photos because the kids grow and change and it's not like you can have a do-over for a birthday party or school graduation. I have a really old canon dslr that I drag out only occasionally. Mostly I use by i phone which really I bought for the camera lol. I also have a small canon point and shoot but I rarely use it. In the end it's all about the light no matter what you use to take photos. If all my photos could be taken outdoors they would be a lot better!

You are right about iPhones take best pic's in the light...I wonder if the newest one does better with less light.

My phone actually shoots raw, so I use it a lot more than I used to. It takes fantastic shots as long as there is good light. I use my Nikon D7100 in manual mode, but with auto-ISO turned on so I only have to fiddle with the shutter speed and aperture. I don't carry it around with me much anymore unless I know I'll be shooting indoors.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 12:35 PM, angleigh said:

I hardly ever use my camera phone.  But I love my camera, and I think I have a pretty good understanding of it.  But there's SO many things it does that I've never even messed with

Well...I feel this is unfair since you wear that camera 24/7!!  You definitely have a great understanding.  Your photos are amazing!  Especially your sports photos, those are always a challenge.

I mainly use my phone camera because it is always with me!  I got a new camera for Christmas last year, and I'm not sure I have used it in MONTHS.  I DO NOT understand aperture and all of that...I just don't.  So if I use my DSLR it's in auto mode 99% of the time!

Archived