Holiday Cards with non-holiday Photos?

CRS

I'm thinking about my Christmas cards and what photo to use this year. Some times I do a photo shoot with the girls with Santa hats or red sweaters. I've even had them play with a string of Christmas lights. But this year I'm thinking about using photos from our vacations from the past year. The ones I have in mind are great photos of my daughters, but definitely not holiday themed.

So, I'm wondering what your thoughts are about using non-holiday photos on Christmas cards. Do you think it's ok or should a Christmas card have a holiday themed photo on it? TIA!

I think it's fine. Last year I used a picture of an old grist mill. Used some Christmas embellishments and really liked it. Received several compliment from recipients. Another year I used a picture of an old church sitting out in the middle of the desert. Used a snow flake overlay to make it appear winter time. Almost any picture will work if you use appropriate embellishments. I need to start thinking about my cards also Before I know it Christmas mailings will be here!

Costco Xmas Card 2017.jpg

29 minutes ago, scrapgarden said:

I think it's fine. Last year I used a picture of an old grist mill. Used some Christmas embellishments and really liked it. Received several compliment from recipients. Another year I used a picture of an old church sitting out in the middle of the desert. Used a snow flake overlay to make it appear winter time. Almost any picture will work if you use appropriate embellishments. I need to start thinking about my cards also Before I know it Christmas mailings will be here!

Pretty card! You do lovely work.

57 minutes ago, scrapgarden said:

Costco Xmas Card 2017.jpg

Gorgeous!!

Absolutely - I think it's fine for the photo to be non-holiday. Most of the cards that I receive each year either have a family photo from some time during the year (summer or fall) or it's a collage of various pictures. I love them all! :)

Me too - I’ve gotten plenty of cards with a non-Christmas photo and they were lovely.  Actually they often show what the family was up to throughout the year.
But, as others said, you could always use Christmas colors, greetings, embellishments, etc around the photos to be festive.  
Hope we get to see it when it’s finished!  :) 

5 hours ago, CRS said:

I could do something like Lynne, add holiday embellishments so the focus is on the girls and the holiday, not the setting.

Exactly!  I should have read this more closely before I wrote my answer above.

Lynne, your card is beautiful.  

Yep, agreed with all above. We sent out photo cards every year, and rarely if ever are they Christmasy pics. Often I either use a pic of the 5 of us from a spring break skiing pic (so at least there is snow in those, lol) or a pic of the boys/us while hiking nearby in the fall.

Lynne, your card is beautiful!

Carla, be sure to show us yours when done!

2 hours ago, beatricemi said:

Late here but I agree with all the others though sadly it seems not many mail cards any more. Either that or we've been struck from the list lol.

A few years ago I got a new perspective on why some don't do cards anymore. I was talking to a friend who stopped sending cards some years before. Said I was thinking about not sending any more either. She said please don't stop. I so look forward to your card every year. I said well you stopped. A few seconds later she said to tell the truth I can't afford the stamps or the cards anymore. No one writes letters anymore and cards are the only personal mail I get anymore. Needless to say she stayed on my list until her passing. I am now more careful about who I take off my list, even if I haven't gotten a card from them in recent years. I know people do e-mail greetings, texting or sending an e-card, I enjoy those also, but you can't put those things on your mantle!!!

2 hours ago, beatricemi said:

Late here but I agree with all the others though sadly it seems not many mail cards any more. Either that or we've been struck from the list lol.

I know a lot of my family doesn't bother with cards anymore. Actually, on my side of the family, I think 1 uncle and aunt send out a card (with non-holiday photos, I just realized) and that's it. I have my bff and her mother and everything else is from dh's side.

2 minutes ago, scrapgarden said:

A few years ago I got a new perspective on why some don't do cards anymore. I was talking to a friend who stopped sending cards some years before. Said I was thinking about not sending any more either. She said please don't stop. I so look forward to your card every year. I said well you stopped. A few seconds later she said to tell the truth I can't afford the stamps or the cards anymore. No one writes letters anymore and cards are the only personal mail I get anymore. Needless to say she stayed on my list until her passing. I am now more careful about who I take off my list, even if I haven't gotten a card from them in recent years. I know people do e-mail greetings, texting or sending an e-card, I enjoy those also, but you can't put those things on your mantle!!!

I have a friend from my working days that has kept every single photo card I've sent her and her spouse, and they keep them taped to the wall all year!

I agree with others about the use of the photos from the year. 

I make by cards but not photo one. Each year I do up a yearly letter which will include a few important photos from the year. One year I did not send that letter to my sister-in-law as we had seen them that year and she knew all the news anyway.... she was really disappointed at not receiving the letter. 

8 hours ago, CRS said:

I have a friend from my working days that has kept every single photo card I've sent her and her spouse, and they keep them taped to the wall all year!

That’s so cool.   I save all the photo cards I get too.  It’s fun to look back at them and see how kids have grown.

8 hours ago, scrapgarden said:

That’s such a touching story Lynne and something to think about.   And, you’re right.   I’ve sent cards to a dear friend of my Mom’s once my Mom died and she writes me the most heartfelt cards back - so happy to receive them.

In my family Holiday cards were mostly only sent to people you didn’t see everyday.    My Mom told me that back when she was newly married the close family who saw each other a lot decided not to send cards but to donate the money instead.    I’m not sure how many years they did that.

Archived