Photo Cards and Christmas Gifts

SodScrap

Blizzard in Missouri = ? ?It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ??

Okay ladies!  I need to make our Christmas cards!!  I have family photos to use.  (Probably just one photo that includes all 7 of us.)  What's your go to printing site for cards?  Do you design your own with your scrapping supplies and then upload to print?  Do you use a site that has ready made cards that you just drop your photo in and print?  What size?

Link up your favorite SG products for card design including templates!!  Share your cards in this thread too, whether they are this year's or past years.

AND.  I am printing layouts and putting them in albums, one for me, one for my mom, each of the kids, etc.  I'd like to do something for my mother-in-law but don't feel she needs a "big ole album".  (even though I print 8x8)  I was thinking of a small photo book vs album.   Anyone have thoughts and recommendations?  

Are you making photo related gifts this year?  Do share!

Here is our Christmas card from last year; I did post it at the time.  I used: SNU_SS_CardTemplates_4x6_PhotoCards-6; ASO_GlitzyChristmas2_Paper_Damask, Blue; ASO_GlitzyChristmas2_Emb_Tag-Damask2, Frame; SNU_Blitzen_Emb_Poinsettia-CrmRed; BMU_RusticChristmas_Poinsettia; LD Elf Note font.

I do usually scrap my own card, with SG supplies, and then order a bunch of cards online at CVS, which is about a mile from our house.  That's all the easy part, where I usually get stuck is addressing the envelopes and actually sending the cards off!

XMasCard2017.jpg

I couldn't find the card template in the store (retired?) Here are links to some of the other supplies.  And, looking through the Christmas section of the store, I see SO MANY things I want!  Yikes.

Glitzy Christmas Collage Papers (Amanda)

Blitzen Collection Mini (Syndee)

Rustic Christmas Collection Biggie (Brandy)

And my last post (sorry, I'm hijacking this thread!)  I'm thinking I won't do much photo-wise this year for Christmas, other than layouts.  Calendars, yes, but I usually do that mostly for myself, and have an extra printed for me at work and one for my dad. I'll keep up with photos of the day for PL, plus whatever other photo challenges that happen to pop up around here (hint).  

36 minutes ago, Mikelle said:

Here is our Christmas card from last year; I did post it at the time.  I used: SNU_SS_CardTemplates_4x6_PhotoCards-6; ASO_GlitzyChristmas2_Paper_Damask, Blue; ASO_GlitzyChristmas2_Emb_Tag-Damask2, Frame; SNU_Blitzen_Emb_Poinsettia-CrmRed; BMU_RusticChristmas_Poinsettia; LD Elf Note font.

I do usually scrap my own card, with SG supplies, and then order a bunch of cards online at CVS, which is about a mile from our house.  That's all the easy part, where I usually get stuck is addressing the envelopes and actually sending the cards off!

XMasCard2017.jpg

15 minutes ago, Mikelle said:

Now how about some throwbacks?  I just found two cards I made long ago, one in 2009, one in 2010.  I have no idea of the supplies I used (the JPGs have lost the info). Definitely SG supplies, though. 

ChristmasCard2009a.jpg

ChristmasCard20106x4.jpg

Cute cards, Mikelle!

I've made cards in the past and printed them at home on greeting card paper from Avery or other brands. Wasn't too happy with them because they were kind of dull (matte finish I guess would be a better word) , but I didn't know of any place to do them. Probably won't do any cards this year. Working in retail for so long has soured  the holidays for me. This is year is especially hard because I lost my sister on Valentine's day and I have some guilt about that. Any who I've made a photo book at Shutterfly as they had the option of uploading you own layouts instead of using their templates. It was back when I first started out scrapping so my layouts were so basic.

Mikelle, your cards are all so beautiful and it’s nice seeing some old ones with your girls so small!

Conda - I don’t know if you have a Costco nearby or are a member, but they do wonderfully with both prints and printed cards, I’ve done both.  

8”x8” soft covered books are $19.99 for two for 30 pages and up to 100.   Extra pages are much cheaper than other places and at $10 a print, it might be cheaper than making individual prints.   That said, 8”x8” prints are $1.79 each.     

Photo greeting cards are 50 starting at $13.99; for an additional 25 it’s $5.49.

Everything can be created with Costco’s online software and either sent to you with a shipping charge or picked up at any Costco.
If you have a friend with a Costco card, you can use their log-in and create,  then you just need them or their card to pick up the items!

When I’ve created Costco books I’ve uploaded my own layouts as a “1 photo” page.    I think the same can be done for photo cards but not sure.
Their software was typical of online sites and fairly easy to use.   Twice when making projects I called their 800 number and Customer Service was fantastic - with reps who knew and understood the software and photo questions and problems, they made it SO easy!    Sorry to write all this if you don’t have access to a Costco. 

I’ve also created books at Shutterfly and was pleased with them.   I again uploaded premade layouts as a “one photo” page.

Oh!!  I’ve also created photo mugs at Costco, Shutterfly, Snapfish and Walmart and was pleased with them all.  Great gifts for parents with little ones (grandparents too!) and it’s fun to look back at the mugs when the babies are older.  

Of course there’s always calendars and ornaments made online, I’ve used all of the above (& Sam’s) and was pleased.   Or you can use one of the SG Calendar templates, I’ve used different versions of Syndee’s 4x6 photo calendars because I can print the layouts as a 4x6” prints at a photo place and then assemble.

I’ve also made Syndees Photo Collage ornaments, I’m trying to find a link but maybe they are retired?

My sister was given a photo blanket made at Shutterfly - it came out really great!

Wow ladies, thank you for your inspiration and information!

Mikelle-Your cards are all beautiful!  (I maybe made cards and had them printed and maybe didn't send them...maybe but you didn't hear it from me)  

Kelly, I'm not sure I even sent cards last year as I was dealing with "stuff" that just didn't lend to the Christmas spirit.  Sorry for your struggle.  I know holidays can make it so much worse!

Marilyn, I do have a Costco membership.  I will check it out.

15 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

Wow ladies, thank you for your inspiration and information!

Mikelle-Your cards are all beautiful!  (I maybe made cards and had them printed and maybe didn't send them...maybe but you didn't hear it from me)  

Kelly, I'm not sure I even sent cards last year as I was dealing with "stuff" that just didn't lend to the Christmas spirit.  Sorry for your struggle.  I know holidays can make it so much worse!

Marilyn, I do have a Costco membership.  I will check it out.

I’ve always been so happy with Costco printing and many of the items are now ship to store saving shipping costs and time!
I was only upset now that they are offering only 2 books as a package when I only need one!  But, in your case it might be helpful and much cheaper.

I made calendars for this year and got them printed at Shutterfly. I am happy with the results except for 1 photo that is too dark for my liking. But that's on me, not them. I will make cards, probably 5X7 inch and print them at home. I found a card I liked on Shutterfly I think, and I'll scraplift it for my cards this year. I'm going to use a photo from the girls at Disney (and not feel bad thanks to everyone who told me to go for a non-holiday photo) and then one photo of each dd from some time in the past year.

I don't think I'll be making any other photo gifts. But hey, you never know!

7 minutes ago, CRS said:

I made calendars for this year and got them printed at Shutterfly. I am happy with the results except for 1 photo that is too dark for my liking. But that's on me, not them. I will make cards, probably 5X7 inch and print them at home. I found a card I liked on Shutterfly I think, and I'll scraplift it for my cards this year. I'm going to use a photo from the girls at Disney (and not feel bad thanks to everyone who told me to go for a non-holiday photo) and then one photo of each dd from some time in the past year.

I don't think I'll be making any other photo gifts. But hey, you never know!

Do you do a folded 5x7 card or just a photo card?

3 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

Do you do a folded 5x7 card or just a photo card?

Just a photo card this time. I've done a folded card in the past, but I really like the glassy look for photos over matte paper.

I use Vistaprint, which only costs me $1 per card for 50. It's cheaper than purchasing Hallmark cards and they were 5" x 7" glossy including an envelope with printing inside and my own designs on both the front and back. I won't post it here because I used an old Christmas Kit, which is not in the Scrap Girls store. However, this was last year's card using my Homespun Christmas Collection. Here's the front and back.

Christmas-Card-2017-web.jpg

Christmas-Card-2017-back-web.jpg

I also use Vistaprint and have been very happy with the results. I think their colors are truer to what I upload than they are at Shutterfly, which, in my opinion, made all my photos too sharp and saturated. This year I had Vistaprint make some cards on linen finish (matte) and some glossy. Not sure which I like better. :) 
I did have Shutterfly make a calendar, too, which turned out very nice.
Mikelle, I want to be on your Christmas list! And, Susie, yours too! :D 

This is my glossy one using BMU Holiday in Lights and JRA Luscious Linens. The branch isn't from SG.

Christmas 2018 for upload.jpg

12 hours ago, Susie Roberts said:

I use Vistaprint, which only costs me $1 per card for 50. It's cheaper than purchasing Hallmark cards and they were 5" x 7" glossy including an envelope with printing inside and my own designs on both the front and back. I won't post it here because I used an old Christmas Kit, which is not in the Scrap Girls store. However, this was last year's card using my Homespun Christmas Collection. Here's the front and back.

Christmas-Card-2017-web.jpg

Christmas-Card-2017-back-web.jpg

This is beautiful Susie!!  Thank you for sharing!

1 hour ago, Florida granny said:

I also use Vistaprint and have been very happy with the results. I think their colors are truer to what I upload than they are at Shutterfly, which, in my opinion, made all my photos too sharp and saturated. This year I had Vistaprint make some cards on linen finish (matte) and some glossy. Not sure which I like better. :) 
I did have Shutterfly make a calendar, too, which turned out very nice.
Mikelle, I want to be on your Christmas list! And, Susie, yours too! :D 

This is my glossy one using BMU Holiday in Lights and JRA Luscious Linens. The branch isn't from SG.

Christmas 2018 for upload.jpg

Lovely Diane!   

I did the lazy thing and used a ready made card at Costco!  I was quite proud of myself getting the ordered so early (within hours of receiving our family photos).  My daughter says "I can't believe you didn't make one yourself".  (I think she meant our "family photo" was worth more than a ready made card....LOL...oh well.  It's done!)

3 hours ago, SodScrap said:

This is beautiful Susie!!  Thank you for sharing!

Lovely Diane!   

I did the lazy thing and used a ready made card at Costco!  I was quite proud of myself getting the ordered so early (within hours of receiving our family photos).  My daughter says "I can't believe you didn't make one yourself".  (I think she meant our "family photo" was worth more than a ready made card....LOL...oh well.  It's done!)

Thanks, Conda! And congratulations on getting the cards done... no matter who designed them! It's sorta like we all use prepared foods now and then (or always, in my case.) Now you have more time for your dear daughter, right? :lol: 

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:03 PM, MariJ said:

Mikelle, your cards are all so beautiful and it’s nice seeing some old ones with your girls so small!

Conda - I don’t know if you have a Costco nearby or are a member, but they do wonderfully with both prints and printed cards, I’ve done both.  

8”x8” soft covered books are $19.99 for two for 30 pages and up to 100.   Extra pages are much cheaper than other places and at $10 a print, it might be cheaper than making individual prints.   That said, 8”x8” prints are $1.79 each.     

Photo greeting cards are 50 starting at $13.99; for an additional 25 it’s $5.49.

Everything can be created with Costco’s online software and either sent to you with a shipping charge or picked up at any Costco.
If you have a friend with a Costco card, you can use their log-in and create,  then you just need them or their card to pick up the items!

When I’ve created Costco books I’ve uploaded my own layouts as a “1 photo” page.    I think the same can be done for photo cards but not sure.
Their software was typical of online sites and fairly easy to use.   Twice when making projects I called their 800 number and Customer Service was fantastic - with reps who knew and understood the software and photo questions and problems, they made it SO easy!    Sorry to write all this if you don’t have access to a Costco. 

I’ve also created books at Shutterfly and was pleased with them.   I again uploaded premade layouts as a “one photo” page.

Marilyn, that's a great tip about using your own layout as a "1 photo" page! I love it!

1 hour ago, Florida granny said:

Marilyn, that's a great tip about using your own layout as a "1 photo" page! I love it!

Why, thank you Diane.   Sometimes you have to fiddle around to find it, but almost always it works fine that way and I always use my own pages in books.

On 11/29/2018 at 1:34 PM, Florida granny said:

Well, Amanda, you design those beautiful things that we all use for OUR cards. So, in a way, you are sending them, too. (Or at least you should tell yourself that, LOL )

HAHA! Thanks Diane, think I will have to roll with that ;)

Archived