Cricut vs. Silhouette vs. ??

Curious what your favorite design cutting machine is and why?   My DD is interested in one.  If her laptop is compatible I might pass my Silhouette Cameo down to her. (Then I would look into a new one for me eventually.)  I think she is most interested in cutting vinyl for art projects  versus paper cutting and crafting.  

Talk to me!   Pros and cons?   Ease of use?   Multiple types of cutting media?  What do you use your machine for?  

I have a Cricut, and HAD a silhouette, I prefer Cricut. I had too many problems with the mat and could not buy the program to design my own designs, I create SVG’s and they work great on my Cricut. I know April prefers her silhouette. Maybe she’ll reply too. I’ve seen good reviews on the brother. I’ll see if I can find a link to it.

3 hours ago, alsoarty said:

I gave a circus, and HAD a silhouette, I prefer Cricucut. I had too many problems with the mat and could not buy the program to design my own designs, I create SVG’s and they work great on my Cricut. I know April prefers her silhouette. Maybe she’ll reply too. I’ve seen good reviews on the brother. I’ll see if I can find a link to it.

What program do you use to create the SVG files?

I haven't researched the differences, but I know making leather earrings is all the rage with certain cutters, so she might want to look into that if she hasn't already.

I second the motion that it would be a great excuse for you to get a new machine, lol.

I have an old Silhouette and have made my own SVG files and had no problems with the mat. It's not sticky anymore, but that's easy enough to fix or replace. I went with that instead of Cricut because I didn't want to buy the cartridges. I don't know what's changes in the 7 plus years I've had my Silhouette, but I love it and still use it!

2 hours ago, CRS said:

I have an old Silhouette and have made my own SVG files and had no problems with the mat. It's not sticky anymore, but that's easy enough to fix or replace. I went with that instead of Cricut because I didn't want to buy the cartridges. I don't know what's changes in the 7 plus years I've had my Silhouette, but I love it and still use it!

So, I’m out of the loop - curiously, what are SVG files?

7 hours ago, CRS said:

You just put any cartridge in the cricut, and still use your sag file.

5 hours ago, MariJ said:

5 hours ago, MariJ said:

It’s saved as .svg like ..jpg .psd etc. you can also save files as .svg in Illustrator.

I went through the silhouette/cricut debate at the beginning of the year and ended up with the cricut which i am REALLY enjoying. I don't use any cartridges. I just design all my own stuff. I use inkscape which seems to suit me. Design space in cricut does a pretty good job though. You really do need to do some research though because there are pros and cons with both. One of the cons with the cricut is you have to be on line to use design space and cut with your machine. Silhouette you dont. Check out the new cricut maker, that seems pretty awesome but there are a few problems with the blade cutter accordfing to reviews. I don't have the maker, I have the Air Explorer 2 and I am pretty delighted with that. Awesome for vinyl cutting. I have learnt a huge amount through you tube videos. There is a reasonable big learning curve but if you have worked photoshop you can work it out?

On 12/18/2018 at 10:44 PM, Cheri T said:

I haven't researched the differences, but I know making leather earrings is all the rage with certain cutters, so she might want to look into that if she hasn't already.

I second the motion that it would be a great excuse for you to get a new machine, lol.

OH OH OH!  You know I'm all about those leather earrings.  Thanks for pointing this out!!

22 hours ago, CRS said:

That has always been my thought about the Cricut with the extra purchase of the cartridges.

19 hours ago, MariJ said:

The .SVG file is the cutting file that the machine uses.  So if you have a .png or .jpeg it can be converted to a .svg so the machine can cut that shape. 

9 hours ago, Ngaire said:

I went through the silhouette/cricut debate at the beginning of the year and ended up with the cricut which i am REALLY enjoying. I don't use any cartridges. I just design all my own stuff. I use inkscape which seems to suit me. Design space in cricut does a pretty good job though. You really do need to do some research though because there are pros and cons with both. One of the cons with the cricut is you have to be on line to use design space and cut with your machine. Silhouette you dont. Check out the new cricut maker, that seems pretty awesome but there are a few problems with the blade cutter accordfing to reviews. I don't have the maker, I have the Air Explorer 2 and I am pretty delighted with that. Awesome for vinyl cutting. I have learnt a huge amount through you tube videos. There is a reasonable big learning curve but if you have worked photoshop you can work it out?

Thanks for the insight!!

I have the Silhouette program downloaded and will install it on DD laptop tonight.  It's "borderline" on memory to run it but with nothing else on the computer, it might work! Thank you for your input!

SO...now I have other questions!!

1. Do you have favorite brands/stores for your vinyl?
  2. T-shirt vinyl/transfers?  (I did not have good luck when I tried this)
  3. For those who make t-shirts-any tips and tricks????

I made some tshirts for our trip to Disney last spring. I used vinyl from Silhouette or Hobby Lobby (don't remember the brand, Paper Studio maybe? Black label, I remember that). Brooke's rose gold vinyl worked great but my white one didn't stay very well...the edges came up a bit. I think I was just impatient with the heating/bonding process. If you are making the shirt for yourself, I would try it on and figure out the design placement while you are wearing it. I tend to put it too high and it looks funny...

Archived