• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

January Prompts Part Two
Clothes
An essential item I know but we often love to show off new or fancy clothes. Create a layout that really showcases an item or two of clothing.

We all love a good quote to use on our layouts. Can you find one to go with your project and use it on a layout?

Remember;
  • You don't have to use these prompts for your layouts, they are just here for inspiration.
  • You only need to complete one layout a month to be in the draw for the prizes.

Are you SURE it's 2019????  (and the 15th of January at that!!)

I'm in for 2019.  First, I am planning a double page spread for each month similar to last year's format.  I have all 12 layouts started with the month/year and saved in my 2019 PL folder!  

I will be using:
MPE_SSDLOT_Scrap_It_Monthly_4

SNU_SSWA_Hand_Lettered_Months

Also, I have always wanted to create a wedding album for us.  I'm not sure how to go about breaking down the album.  How many layouts, etc.  After all, it's been over THIRTY years!!  How many pages is enough?  How many is too many?  Ideally, I would have it printed in a bound book.  I may be limited by the number of quality digital conversions of the originals.  (we've been married so long the photographer sent us the negatives...yes, negatives!!)  I will think about templates and collections.  I have purchased some over the years with this in mind.  I will organize these next.  Any thoughts or suggestions??

Well, in my opinion there could never be too many pages, but I’m known for being lengthy.  If anything can be done in 2 pages, I’ll do it in 10.  But, I enjoy looking at photos so I like lots of pages of them and have a hard time ruling out any.

For the past 2 years I’ve wanted to make a Australia Trip Photo book to go with the Blog Book one I made.   I’m still not started for much of the reasons you say.  HOW to do it, how to organize, etc.    I did in my case separate my photos into days but past that....  Nothing.    I’d think you could make layouts starting at where your photos do time-wise.   “At Home” getting dressed, then what came next?   So, maybe you could start by dividing photos into events then you’d have a better idea of what you’re dealing with.
I’m not a whole lot of help but when I do something like this I find taking ALL I might need or think I might use and putting it in a separate folder. helps.  I also start a document where I can jot down ideas or anything else I want to remember, even copy and paste hints, like this thread!  This comes in handy even if I find something online that’s helpful - I just throw it in the folder!  Sometimes just looking through the folder starts some creativity.

You might be better off with less than more photos!   :)    The enormity of what I have from Australia is close to embarrassing - anyplace but with ScrapFriends.

Again, if you’re printing a book I highly recommend Costco printing - they just reversed their silly 2018 pricing where you had to order two books at a time.   Besides good quality, at Costco with my Blog Book that needed LOTS of extra pages they were only 79 cents each, much less money than other places who are often $2.99 each.  And, the 11x8-ish book I did could have as much as 100 pages - again, not available anyplace else I could find.  I ended up with 60 in my Blog book and it cost about $29.    You could check to see if that all is still true.

Enough commercials.   Good luck Conda.   I was just rereading my blog and reminscing, maybe I’ll get started now.

1 hour ago, MariJ said:

Well, in my opinion there could never be too many pages, but I’m known for being lengthy.  If anything can be done in 2 pages, I’ll do it in 10.  But, I enjoy looking at photos so I like lots of pages of them and have a hard time ruling out any.

For the past 2 years I’ve wanted to make a Australia Trip Photo book to go with the Blog Book one I made.   I’m still not started for much of the reasons you say.  HOW to do it, how to organize, etc.    I did in my case separate my photos into days but past that....  Nothing.    I’d think you could make layouts starting at where your photos do time-wise.   “At Home” getting dressed, then what came next?   So, maybe you could start by dividing photos into events then you’d have a better idea of what you’re dealing with.
I’m not a whole lot of help but when I do something like this I find taking ALL I might need or think I might use and putting it in a separate folder. helps.  I also start a document where I can jot down ideas or anything else I want to remember, even copy and paste hints, like this thread!  This comes in handy even if I find something online that’s helpful - I just throw it in the folder!  Sometimes just looking through the folder starts some creativity.

You might be better off with less than more photos!   :)    The enormity of what I have from Australia is close to embarrassing - anyplace but with ScrapFriends.

Again, if you’re printing a book I highly recommend Costco printing - they just reversed their silly 2018 pricing where you had to order two books at a time.   Besides good quality, at Costco with my Blog Book that needed LOTS of extra pages they were only 79 cents each, much less money than other places who are often $2.99 each.  And, the 11x8-ish book I did could have as much as 100 pages - again, not available anyplace else I could find.  I ended up with 60 in my Blog book and it cost about $29.    You could check to see if that all is still true.

Enough commercials.   Good luck Conda.   I was just rereading my blog and reminscing, maybe I’ll get started now.

Now is a good time to start, now that you are reminiscing.  Sounds like you are off to a good start with photos organized by the day.  If pictures are your emphasis, can you do a double page per "site/landmark/event"?  It would be more than one double page each day of course.   I can't wait to see what you come up with!

I will check out Costco for sure!  (need to print my 2018 book) 

6 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

Now is a good time to start, now that you are reminiscing.  Sounds like you are off to a good start with photos organized by the day.  If pictures are your emphasis, can you do a double page per "site/landmark/event"?  It would be more than one double page each day of course.   I can't wait to see what you come up with!

I will check out Costco for sure!  (need to print my 2018 book) 

Thanks, Conda.   I’ve been working on a dedication page all afternoon, since I thought it was a good place to start today, but not sure I like it.  My biggest problem is how much do I need to match colors, hues, soft, dark, light pages throughout the book?   This one is so soft and watercolor like, I’m not sure how it would be if I then come in with bright red and blues of the Australian flag?
Yes, you’re right and I think I’ll end up with more than a double page per day; when I was browsing my blog earlier I read how Callan remarked our days were like a few in one and that was so true, we packed a lot of events into each one.  But, that’s a good suggestion to treat each page (or more, sigh) by site/landmark/event withIN each day.   Thinking along those lines, maybe each day’s events can be sorta matching while the different days can change.
Something tells me to go to bed and post the dedication tomorrow so at least I’ve started which is the hardest part of this (or most anything for me).  Once I get a rhythm it should be easier.   And, I should go through my stash and list all the possible collections like I suggested to you.  I’ve bought a few specifically for this project and Jody’d even steered me to Australian ones.    The blog book was easy because I used one paper since the words were most crucial.  But, for this one I wanted to go more scrap-booky with little journaling, just titles.

just
have
to 
start. 

And, yeah - I was ALL ready to print my 2017 specifially-made-for-Costco-printing PL book last year when they came up with that silly idea of two-book orders.   I had a few conversations with customer service, I’m glad they’ve gone back.   So, now I can print mine.
Thanks for the conversing - it’s helping me clear up what I want to do a bit.   xo

On 1/15/2019 at 8:38 PM, MariJ said:

Thanks, Conda.   I’ve been working on a dedication page all afternoon, since I thought it was a good place to start today, but not sure I like it.  My biggest problem is how much do I need to match colors, hues, soft, dark, light pages throughout the book?   This one is so soft and watercolor like, I’m not sure how it would be if I then come in with bright red and blues of the Australian flag?
Yes, you’re right and I think I’ll end up with more than a double page per day; when I was browsing my blog earlier I read how Callan remarked our days were like a few in one and that was so true, we packed a lot of events into each one.  But, that’s a good suggestion to treat each page (or more, sigh) by site/landmark/event withIN each day.   Thinking along those lines, maybe each day’s events can be sorta matching while the different days can change.
Something tells me to go to bed and post the dedication tomorrow so at least I’ve started which is the hardest part of this (or most anything for me).  Once I get a rhythm it should be easier.   And, I should go through my stash and list all the possible collections like I suggested to you.  I’ve bought a few specifically for this project and Jody’d even steered me to Australian ones.    The blog book was easy because I used one paper since the words were most crucial.  But, for this one I wanted to go more scrap-booky with little journaling, just titles.

just
have
to 
start. 

And, yeah - I was ALL ready to print my 2017 specifially-made-for-Costco-printing PL book last year when they came up with that silly idea of two-book orders.   I had a few conversations with customer service, I’m glad they’ve gone back.   So, now I can print mine.
Thanks for the conversing - it’s helping me clear up what I want to do a bit.   xo

On our road trip Tuesday I got my 2019 PL all set up.  I also started a folder for my wedding album including a set of templates and jiffy pages to use as well as collections I have bought along the way with this in mind.  AND, thanks to you, I started a document and made a list of things to include, parts of the day, specific people, etc.  Thank you for the inspiration and tips!

23 hours ago, MariJ said:

Finally a start to my Australian Photo Book.  It didn’t turn out the way I wanted, but I figure if at the end it doesn’t fit well I can change it.  But, at least I started it!
Project Life:  Dedication Page

I love this page Marilyn!  

23 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

On our road trip Tuesday I got my 2019 PL all set up.  I also started a folder for my wedding album including a set of templates and jiffy pages to use as well as collections I have bought along the way with this in mind.  AND, thanks to you, I started a document and made a list of things to include, parts of the day, specific people, etc.  Thank you for the inspiration and tips!

I love this page Marilyn!  

Yay, Conda, that’s great and you are really on your way!  I can’t wait to see your pages and most especially your wedding album.  
And thanks to YOU, too.  It was our conversation here that really got me going and started.  xo  

1 minute ago, MariJ said:

Yay, Conda, that’s great and you are really on your way!  I can’t wait to see your pages and most especially your wedding album.  
And thanks to YOU, too.  It was our conversation here that really got me going and started.  xo  

Look at us go!  :)  

I made a cover page and my first page. I am going to try to used minimal embellishments, subtle papers and lots of journaling to tell my 2019Life...hummmmm that makes me think perhaps I should change title of my cover page.

In the meantime, I'm over here still trying to decided what to do. At first I thought I was going to do an AJ page for the weekly prompts but wasn't sure if I wanted to do a book of that. I thought of doing a wedding album but we didn't hire a professional photographer. We just used my brother in law. The pics are okay but not great. I really want to do a heritage book. I've done some pages for different challenges so I'm not sure if they would be cohesive. So would it be better to start over? I have some journaling/storytelling/randomness/ from my maternal grandfather but I'm not sure how to incorporate it all together. I guess I just need to go through it again and see if I have any photos that would fit. I've restarted the 30 days of Photoshop I purchased from CreativeLive. I'm about to start the lesson on photo retouching. (which reminds me I also purchased a class on that topic as well). Monday I'm starting a free online course on genealogy research. So some how I need to come up with a plan.  Where do I even start? Maybe I'll start with the wedding album. I did purchase a set of templates. I think that would simplify that project. In the meantime I'll try to formulate a plan for a heritage book. Sorry just thinking out loud. lol!

I’d like to join in...and hopefully it won’t be a complete fail like last year! :) Although, I did get three months posted and two other months started. And it was fun. So, will give it a go again. This year, I’ve rounded up some friends of mine for a year-long monthly challenge of trying new things or going to new places or whatever new things we want to do. So, I’ll be scrapping my monthly list of challenges. Will be using templates for sure, but not sure if all will be from the same set or not.

2 hours ago, MomentInTime said:

I’d like to join in...and hopefully it won’t be a complete fail like last year! :) Although, I did get three months posted and two other months started. And it was fun. So, will give it a go again. This year, I’ve rounded up some friends of mine for a year-long monthly challenge of trying new things or going to new places or whatever new things we want to do. So, I’ll be scrapping my monthly list of challenges. Will be using templates for sure, but not sure if all will be from the same set or not.

That sounds like a fun and supportive group and what a great idea to scrap your monthly challenges.   I’m interesting in seeing what new things you will be trying.

1 hour ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Finally decided on my first project. Our wedding album. I worked on 2 pages simultaneously. This one being the cover.

1 hour ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Here is my second page. We didn't hire a professional photographer, we had my brother-in-law take the photos. I'm using templates for this project. I tried to use SS products to make a cluster but I still need practice so I went with a ready made cluster.

Kelly I loved seeing your wedding photos and layout/cover and can’t wait to see more;  it’s all gorgeous! 

I Have a few puppy free moments to past this month's prompts. I will do the draw for January's winner as soon as I can.

February Prompts Part One

Buildings
Buildings are all around us an play a huge part in our lives. Why not create a layout showcasing a building. It could be a church, a ruin, a childhood home, and interesting door. Have fun with this one.

Trees
Like buildings, they are everywhere and in all our lives in some form. Don't forget trees come in all shapes and sizes. You could take this prompt in many directions. Photos of trees, colours, leaves, seasons. Maybe you where lucky to have or go on a tree swing.