March 2019 Recipe Swap

SodScrap

??HELLLOOO MARCH!??  Please tell me you are bringing spring with you!!  Pretty please???? ☀️

This month's recipe theme is Healthy Alternative Recipes.  WHAT'S THAT???  ?  It can be anything including (but not limited to):

• Gluten-Free
  • Dairy-Free
  • Low Fat
  • Keto
  • Sugar-Free
  • Low Carb
  • Low Calorie
  • Vegetarian
  • Etc.  Please fill me in on your "alternative"

I learned last fall that I am allergic to dairy, (?) but also need to eat gluten-free, so I've been down the GF DF path for a while experimenting.  Some good experiments, and some not so good!!  We have done another (more in depth) food allergy panel and I will get results this week.  I am anxious to get the results as I fear there are a few other foods that are bothering me but at the same time I'm thinking..."nooooo".  

I can't wait to hear your tips and tricks (and even struggles) with your "alternative way of eating".

• To participate in the Recipe Swap, please email your 4"x6" high resolution (300 dpi saved a high quality - (1200 x 1800 pixel) Recipe Card to sg.sodscrap@gmail.com by MIDNIGHT, Friday, March 29, 2019.
  • PLEASE REMEMBER THIS: It is easiest for me if you use your name or user name + the Recipe name (SodScrap_YummyFood) as the file name on your recipe. (I may change it to make it easier for me to track if you don't.)
  • You are welcome to submit more than one recipe. Please do!
  • Please post your recipe in the Recipe Card Gallery and post a link in this thread.
  • After I have compiled the recipes, you will receive a link to download the recipe cards from all our participants. You must send in a card to get the link!  Please remember the link is active for 7 days.
  • You will receive a download link from the store for your freebie 

Remember, each month you participate in the swap this year you will receive a free piece of the Home Cooked collection designed exclusively for our recipe swap participants.  If you participate each month, you will receive the entire collection!  Thank you, Angie, you are awesome!!

image.png.2130c4d1f1b904c36ea34b1a9e52b0be.png

Hmmm, I know I have something that will fit this theme. I have several "new" recipes that need to be scrapped that have become family favorites, so I'll see what I have. If not, I'll have to try some new ones out!

Good afternoon... I have a question about this month's swap… My spouse is deathly allergic to soy beans so would my recipe for homemade soy sauce be acceptable?
I just want to thank everybody for the great recipes that were submitted for February's swap… I just opened up the download file and printed them out for my recipe box. I have gotten into the habit of printing an additional card along with the recipe card if there was a story attached to the recipe.
Am I allowed to print more than one copy of a recipe to give to a friend? I haven't and will not if not allowed to… Just let me know…
Thank you so much and have a great evening!

2 hours ago, LindaH57 said:

Good afternoon... I have a question about this month's swap… My spouse is deathly allergic to soy beans so would my recipe for homemade soy sauce be acceptable?
I just want to thank everybody for the great recipes that were submitted for February's swap… I just opened up the download file and printed them out for my recipe box. I have gotten into the habit of printing an additional card along with the recipe card if there was a story attached to the recipe.
Am I allowed to print more than one copy of a recipe to give to a friend? I haven't and will not if not allowed to… Just let me know…
Thank you so much and have a great evening!

That is exactly the type of recipe I'm talking about.  A soy allergy must be difficult.  It is in SO many things!!  

I think it is fine to share a recipe with a friend.  However, "mass producing" and distributing would not be allowed.  Hope this makes sense to you.

3 hours ago, alsoarty said:

YES! I am doing Keto... a great change and way of life for me. Thank you! I have many recipes to share here.

I was hoping you would take this opportunity to share!  I think HF/LC is very effective, however, so many keto recipes use a lot of dairy and that doesn't work for me.  *sigh*

Here is my recipe. Its taken from the '8 week blood sugar diet recipe book'. Its low-carb (you eat plenty of carbs though but good carbs) I used this method to get my husbands blood sugar down when he was diagnosed as type2 diabetic in 2016 and his blood sugar has been normal ever since. Now he can eat almost anything but we do still use a lot of these recipes.

Prawn and Tuna Fried Rice
Cauliflower Rice

25 minutes ago, Jane in N.Z said:

Here is my recipe. Its taken from the '8 week blood sugar diet recipe book'. Its low-carb (you eat plenty of carbs though but good carbs) I used this method to get my husbands blood sugar down when he was diagnosed as type2 diabetic in 2016 and his blood sugar has been normal ever since. Now he can eat almost anything but we do still use a lot of these recipes.

Prawn and Tuna Fried Rice
Cauliflower Rice

Great news for you and your husband!

I'm just eating healthy...less carbs, sugar with more veggies and protein. Here is my favorite go to food. Roasted Veggies ( I make all kinds) , they are a favorite of our dinner guests too.

On 3/2/2019 at 12:08 PM, SodScrap said:

I learned last fall that I am allergic to dairy, (?) but also need to eat gluten-free, so I've been down the GF DF path for a while experimenting.  Some good experiments, and some not so good!!  We have done another (more in depth) food allergy panel and I will get results this week.  I am anxious to get the results as I fear there are a few other foods that are bothering me but at the same time I'm thinking..."nooooo".

Add to my allergy list:

Cranberries
Yeast (both bakers and brewers)
Peanuts
Pomegranate
Chickpeas

Flounder

Minor intolerance to walnuts, watermelon, clams, and vanilla.

Yeast is in SO MANY things you would never think of.  I have a large learning curve now, this might be interesting!  I'm not sure I have ever eaten flounder so that one might be easy.  LOL

9 hours ago, SodScrap said:

Add to my allergy list:

Cranberries
Yeast (both bakers and brewers)
Peanuts
Pomegranate
Chickpeas

Flounder

Minor intolerance to walnuts, watermelon, clams, and vanilla.

Yeast is in SO MANY things you would never think of.  I have a large learning curve now, this might be interesting!  I'm not sure I have ever eaten flounder so that one might be easy.  LOL

Oh NOOoooooooo Conda I’m sorry to hear that!  Wow, that is a huge list, my goodness it doesn’t leave a lot to work with!   Yeah, flounder and how often do you eat pomegranate, but yeast?   Vanilla?   Poor you, you will spend half your life reading labels...   Or cooking.   Gosh, sorry to hear all that but hopefully you can feel good avoiding it all....    Geez.......      ?

1 hour ago, MariJ said:

Oh NOOoooooooo Conda I’m sorry to hear that!  Wow, that is a huge list, my goodness it doesn’t leave a lot to work with!   Yeah, flounder and how often do you eat pomegranate, but yeast?   Vanilla?   Poor you, you will spend half your life reading labels...   Or cooking.   Gosh, sorry to hear all that but hopefully you can feel good avoiding it all....    Geez.......      ?

Yeast is in vinegar...and olive oil and pickled/fermented foods.  

The good news is that I should be able to overcome all of the allergies (with the exception of cranberries) in time.  He says probably a year.

12 hours ago, MariJ said:

I really hope you can overcome it!

13 hours ago, SodScrap said:

Yeast is in vinegar...and olive oil and pickled/fermented foods.  

The good news is that I should be able to overcome all of the allergies (with the exception of cranberries) in time.  He says probably a year.

I sure am wishing you can overcome it too.   And gosh, one can live without cranberries if that’s all that’s left.   Good luck!

11 hours ago, MariJ said:

I sure am wishing you can overcome it too.   And gosh, one can live without cranberries if that’s all that’s left.   Good luck!

Right?  After "all this" living without cranberries would be a breeze.  I'm finding that yeast is in vinegar.  So.  No balsamic vinegar (for salads/marinades).  NOTHING with vinegar.  (condiments!)  Carrots.  I can safely eat carrots.  ?

24 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

Right?  After "all this" living without cranberries would be a breeze.  I'm finding that yeast is in vinegar.  So.  No balsamic vinegar (for salads/marinades).  NOTHING with vinegar.  (condiments!)  Carrots.  I can safely eat carrots.  ?

Oh gosh, that’s pretty pathetic, huh?   But if it helps, it’s all good I guess.   The problem with stuff like this is yes!  Who knows or knew where things like yeast or vinegar are lurking.   You must spend half your life reading labels...

Or, eating carrots.  ? :rofl:

Ok, really not funny, but I guess you gotta laugh...   :(

11 hours ago, Jane in N.Z said:

here is another favourite of mine Stir-fried cabbage and peppered salmon.

Its low carb and good for diabetics and I hope its good for you as well Conda. You can substitute the olive oil for coconut oil as it tasts just as nice with that.

I think "plain old nothing added olive oil" is fine. (so much to learn!!!)  It is challenging navigating ingredient labels!  It does sound delicious Jane!