Today's Tutorial on Blog by Syndee

tsendi

I just had a look at the Tutorial.  Syndee may come in and correct me... .but... .I think the only way you can achieve something the same is to open your photo in edit and play around with a layer mask and brush or even use a purchased mask to clip your photo to.   HERE is some tutorials but you should be able to find more on the internet. 

The "Guided Edit" is only available in  the newer versions of PSE. 

I have the Painterly in Guided- Fun Edits in PSE15 but did not have it in PSE13 so I believe it is a change that they made to this version and new ones.

43 minutes ago, Boatlady said:

I have the Painterly in Guided- Fun Edits in PSE15 but did not have it in PSE13 so I believe it is a change that they made to this version and new ones.

I really need to upgrade PSE, I keep thinking it’s “new” until I realize it’s already 6 years old now!  It’s not playing nicely with the newest Apple Operating System either.  I’m just waiting to see if I hear of a PSE sale, I hate remembering last time I upgraded and how hard it was to learn and get used to it all...  Sigh...  

On 3/17/2019 at 7:42 AM, tsendi said:

I hear you, Mari. Same with me...someone told me to check out the filter gallery, but so far no luck. I know we have the Guided Edit in PSE 13, but like Betty mentioned, the Painterly choice started in PSE 15.

I've been on a mission to try to figure out a comparable alternative to use in order to try this technique in PSE 13. I was reading a tutorial in the Scrapgirls "Learn How" section called "Blending with the Brush Tool" by Diane Lardieri. I'm going to buy those brushes by Syndee and give it a try. I think I found the answer.

Christine

33 minutes ago, tsendi said:

I've been on a mission to try to figure out a comparable alternative to use in order to try this technique in PSE 13. I was reading a tutorial in the Scrapgirls "Learn How" section called "Blending with the Brush Tool" by Diane Lardieri. I'm going to buy those brushes by Syndee and give it a try. I think I found the answer.

Christine

And there is a sale right now, too!

On 3/17/2019 at 8:42 AM, tsendi said:

I hear you, Mari. Same with me...someone told me to check out the filter gallery, but so far no luck. I know we have the Guided Edit in PSE 13, but like Betty mentioned, the Painterly choice started in PSE 15.

3 hours ago, tsendi said:

Now if I could only find those brushes!

Hi again Christine, I can see you are determined and I’m anxious to see how you make out!

I told Diane you were looking at her tutorial.   She’s “Florida Granny” on the Forum, hopefully she’ll have an idea.   

Any chance you can give a link to Diane’s tutorial?   Maybe we can find the brush or at least something else that might work as well for this!   ?

1 hour ago, MariJ said:

Hi again Christine, I can see you are determined and I’m anxious to see how you make out!

I told Diane you were looking at her tutorial.   She’s “Florida Granny” on the Forum, hopefully she’ll have an idea.   

Any chance you can give a link to Diane’s tutorial?   Maybe we can find the brush or at least something else that might work as well for this!   ?

https://scrapgirls.com/all-posts/blending-with-the-brush-tool This is Diane's tutorial. The Brush Set is "Painted" but I can't find it in Scrapgirls' shop. It must be discontinued.

12 minutes ago, tsendi said:

https://scrapgirls.com/all-posts/blending-with-the-brush-tool This is Diane's tutorial. The Brush Set is "Painted" but I can't find it in Scrapgirls' shop. It must be discontinued.

I wonder if you could use the Dynamic Brush Set : Painted 6301 to do this...Can dynamic brushes also be used like regular brushes, or do you have to drag them?

2 hours ago, tsendi said:

I wonder if you could use the Dynamic Brush Set : Painted 6301 to do this...Can dynamic brushes also be used like regular brushes, or do you have to drag them?

I have used dynamic brushes to “stamp” but I’m not sure what would happen if you were brushing as she does in the tutorial.  It might run away, but then again it could be perfect, I’ve never used them that way.  :( 
SNU Artful 2 might work - a few of the brushes look light and they have a grungy, soft edge like the ones Diane uses.  
Or maybe SNU Artful Brushes?  There’s even a Value Pack!

Diane might have a better answer and I just asked Syndee to check this thread again, maybe she’ll have a few more or better suggestions!

And, thanks for sharing the link, now I remember that tutorial, it was a great one.  :) 

5 hours ago, tsendi said:

I just saw this and want to jump into the discussion. You probably don't want to use dynamic brushes for this technique. For my tutorial I used Syndee's Painted brush which might be retired (or at least I'm having the same trouble you did finding it in the Shop. I'll include the marketing image just in case it isn't retired.) However, just use any soft and or grungy brush. One example is AFT's Essential Light Grunge. I think this would work well. By the way I use PSE 14 and it doesn't have the painterly effect either. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

SNU_BrushSet_Painted_MKTG600.jpg

10 minutes ago, tsendi said:

Thank you Diane and Syndee for your suggestions.

Hi again Christine,
So it looks like you can use the dynamic painted brushes.   I just watched the videos that Anne Marie suggested above and they’re really great!  I never really “got” layer masks totally but now I do.  :)  I was especially interested in the second video (I think it was the 2nd) where you could blur out the background, sorta like Diane created the BW edges in her tutorial. 

I’ve been rereading through this thread and think you also asked about the painted effect Syndee created?   Rereading her tutorial I see that after masking your photo we can use the same technique in PSE13 as Syndee to create a watercolor effect:

Step Eight – Now we’re ready to add our masked photo to a layout. Just open up a paper (I used a watercolor background from my Artists Papers.) and drag your photo and mask layer over to your paper. Once I had my masked photo in position and resized, I changed the blend mode to Multiply and lowered the Opacity to 88% so that the paper texture would show through. I also added a soft blue paint mask under the photo layer.

I can’t wait to see how you do, let us know how you make out!  :) 

...Jumping in again. I'm laughing here because I was answering your question about brushes for my tutorial and not for your original question about Syndee's masking technique! :hit-head-with-hammer:  I'm so glad Syndee came back to answer you... and I think the masking technique is super cool.  Let us know how it turns out for you!