Restoration of Old Scrapbooks

I haven't done this before, but I would scan them in and set the jpeg to 300 dpi. I've taken photos out of old photo albums and done it this way, but not paper scrapbooks. But now that I think about it, my grandmother's album was photos just attached to paper pages, and I just scanned in the pages and cropped out the photos. I didn't dare try to take the photos off the pages in that album!

2 hours ago, CRS said:

I haven't done this before, but I would scan them in and set the jpeg to 300 dpi. I've taken photos out of old photo albums and done it this way, but not paper scrapbooks. But now that I think about it, my grandmother's album was photos just attached to paper pages, and I just scanned in the pages and cropped out the photos. I didn't dare try to take the photos off the pages in that album!

Thanks Carla!!

I agree with Carla.... scan the old pages and then crop out the photos which I have been doing lately with my mother's old albums. I have my scanner set at 400dpi as that helps with picking up fine details.

3 hours ago, A-M said:

I agree with Carla.... scan the old pages and then crop out the photos which I have been doing lately with my mother's old albums. I have my scanner set at 400dpi as that helps with picking up fine details.

Thanks for that tip. I had done some at 300 dpi and wasn't pleased, so good to hear 400 dpi works well.

I'll have to experiment with this some more. A 600 dpi scan runs reallllyyyy sllloooowww on my scanner. Plus the memory storage might become an issue. Have others experimented in the 300 to 600 dpi range for scanning older images?

• 3 weeks later...

Scanning at 300 dpi is fine for large photos, 5x7 and up.  Scan at 400 dpi or higher for those really small photos like 2x2.  These suggestions are for printing, should you wish to print the files.

However, if you only want to have digital copies to see on computer or tablet screen, you can scan at 72 or 150 dpi.  That will save a lot on file space.

16 hours ago, lindarobin said:

Scanning at 300 dpi is fine for large photos, 5x7 and up.  Scan at 400 dpi or higher for those really small photos like 2x2.  These suggestions are for printing, should you wish to print the files.

However, if you only want to have digital copies to see on computer or tablet screen, you can scan at 72 or 150 dpi.  That will save a lot on file space.

This is very helpful, thank you Linda.  :)  Somehow I’ve never realized that of course the smaller the photo the larger the printing dpi should be!

Archived