Jump to content
MariJ

Point and Shoot Camera Suggestions? 📷​​​​​​​

Recommended Posts

I haven’t been happy with the photos from my Point and Shoot camera recently so think it’s time for a new one.
I’ve been really happy with Canon’s small, Elph-type ones and have had three in a row!  
I’m willing to go a little bigger and even spend a bit more money for a better one but I’m overwhelmed looking at the choices - just in Canons alone!

My requirements are that the camera be small and able to fit in a pocket or purse easily, preferably be a Canon but I’m willing to bend on that.
Lens and photo-taking abilities are most important and I’d like them to be good, but in reading all the reviews I can’t tell what any of the criteria means.   A nice zoom would be great, but clearer more precise photos are more important to me.

Any suggestions or thoughts are much appreciated, thanks!  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THIS is the Canon camera I currently have.   It was great and took wonderfully crisp photos but somehow isn’t doing it now. 
I had 2 similar Elphs previously and was always happy with them, but I’m willing to go in different directions now.

Size is a big issue as I don’t want to be carrying bigger and heavier items!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a big bulky DSLR that needs to be cleaned desperately, but I've been thinking about getting a smaller camera for trips. I've had Canons the last few that I've bought (for me and for the girls), too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CRS said:

I have a big bulky DSLR that needs to be cleaned desperately, but I've been thinking about getting a smaller camera for trips. I've had Canons the last few that I've bought (for me and for the girls), too.

Since my SLR film camera back in the dark ages, all I’ve ever had are point and shoots and I’ve been very happy with the quality of the photos.  I used this one in Australia and other places and the photos were great! 

But, I’m lost now looking at all the newer versions.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 2:17 AM, MariJ said:

THIS is the Canon camera I currently have.   It was great and took wonderfully crisp photos but somehow isn’t doing it now. 
I had 2 similar Elphs previously and was always happy with them, but I’m willing to go in different directions now.

Size is a big issue as I don’t want to be carrying bigger and heavier items!  

I used to have a camera similar to yours but now I normally use my phone camera which is excellent or I have a cannon DSLR but is heavy to carry around, Sorry but I'm not much use to you :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jane in N.Z said:

I used to have a camera similar to yours but now I normally use my phone camera which is excellent or I have a cannon DSLR but is heavy to carry around, Sorry but I'm not much use to you :( 

Thanks Jane.   I don’t have a smart phone so it’s not an option;  I think barely anyone uses a camera anymore, especially point and shoots.  :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of our friends daughters has a Canon point and shoot that she loves. She took some nice pictures when we toured local gardens but when she used to zoom the quality of the photo decreased dramatically but I do believe that is a trait of those cameras. She also had shutter lag so missed some photos she wanted. It is an older model so not made anymore. Try a camera shop for some suggestions. fun shopping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Boatlady said:

One of our friends daughters has a Canon point and shoot that she loves. She took some nice pictures when we toured local gardens but when she used to zoom the quality of the photo decreased dramatically but I do believe that is a trait of those cameras. She also had shutter lag so missed some photos she wanted. It is an older model so not made anymore. Try a camera shop for some suggestions. fun shopping.

I’ve asked and it’s over and under-whelming as there’s not a lot left around and I’d really like to know of one that someone has had success with.   I’m tired of readin reviews, it only mixes me up more!

Thanks Debby!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an older Canon Elph I still love.  It's much better than my phone camera (which is admittedly a few years old)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×