ISO tips on using a 12 1/2 × 10 poster in a 2 page 12×12 layout

Amy

Hello I'm hoping to get some assistance on how to utilize a 12 1/2 x 10 poster photo that the school had been selling of my daughters soccer team in a 2 page 12x12 scrapbook layout. I'm able to cut some of the sides because the photographer did leave some area on the side but the poster has my daughter's name at the top, three wonderful photos of her in the middle, then the year her school and of course his name at the bottom. Have been thinking up some different things to do but don't want to cut anything as of yet because I'm a little bit apprehensive. And hoping that you guys might have any thoughts or suggestions.

This is a picture of the poster on top of 2 12x12 pages.  I have another one I want to do of my step-son's Air Force boot camp graduating group. 

15612940478664775471056400798884.jpg

What great photos of your daughter and the poster must be awesome looking.  Is what you are showing us here a scan of the poster?   Are you looking to make a digital page or a traditional paper page?   Because if it’s digital you can duplicate your scan and try different methods of cropping before you create the page.

When I think of it, we often use approx 4 x 6” photos on our layouts so they are not in the 12 x 12” size we scrap them in.   So, you could really use the whole photo on the page -- it just wouldn’t fill it -- and then have an appropriate background or embellishments around it.  Maybe you could put her stats or other info about her career on the space where the photo doesn’t cover.   Does that make sense?     

Hopefully others will come along with more creative ideas.   Let us know if this makes sense.

You could take a photo of the poster. That way you could print it out a smaller size to fit you page or if you wanted to cut the different poses you wouldn’t have to worry if you messed up. You could just print another copy. At least that’s what I would do. I would be so terrified of ruining the poster. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. ?

2 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

You could take a photo of the poster. That way you could print it out a smaller size to fit you page or if you wanted to cut the different poses you wouldn’t have to worry if you messed up. You could just print another copy. At least that’s what I would do. I would be so terrified of ruining the poster. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. ?

I think this is a great idea!  Or could you have it scanned and printed?  Then like Kelly said you could size it for your needs and not have to worry about ruining the poster, I’d be terrified of that too!

Good luck!

I'm reading this at the end of a very long day, so I might be misunderstanding something, but you say the poster is 11x 8. It should fit on one 12 x 12 page, yet your photo above shows that it doesn't. I'm thinking perhaps those are 8 1/2 x 11 white pages underneath it, not 12 x 12. Which size is it that you scrapbook in? If 12 x 12, my inclination would be to use ONLY the poster on one 12 x12 background, centered. On the facing page, include either smaller photos of her during the season, or do a lot of journaling about how the season went and include some sports statistics of her team/her.

If you are scrapbooking in 8 1/2 x 11 size, then I would definitely scan the poster and print it whatever size you want/need it to fit, and leave the original poster as-is to frame and put on the wall.

That photo looks bigger than 11x8” I would have the photo scanned and then professionally printed, after you resized it in photoshop? Costco, Is a good p,ace to print your photos, or some other photography place, maybe Staples? I wouldn't Cut the original photo, which is beautiful btw.

Edited by alsoarty

9 hours ago, Cheri T said:

I'm reading this at the end of a very long day, so I might be misunderstanding something, but you say the poster is 11x 8. It should fit on one 12 x 12 page, yet your photo above shows that it doesn't. I'm thinking perhaps those are 8 1/2 x 11 white pages underneath it, not 12 x 12. Which size is it that you scrapbook in? If 12 x 12, my inclination would be to use ONLY the poster on one 12 x12 background, centered. On the facing page, include either smaller photos of her during the season, or do a lot of journaling about how the season went and include some sports statistics of her team/her.

If you are scrapbooking in 8 1/2 x 11 size, then I would definitely scan the poster and print it whatever size you want/need it to fit, and leave the original poster as-is to frame and put on the wall.

Thank you- it is actually a 12 1/2 x 10+ poster.  My step son's Air Force poster is about the same size if not bigger.  And thank you in advance!!!!

13 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

It's the poster on top of 2 12x12's, and it would be a traditional paper page - I have another 12 1/2 x 10 poster photo for my step-son's Air Force boot camp photo that I've been putting off as well because I'm worried. I probably do need to learn more about digital scrapbooking just to get a better idea as I typically use some cardboard templates for place holders before cutting the photo's. 

And I love the idea of the stat's & her career on the other side!!!!  Thank you!!!!

9 hours ago, alsoarty said:

That photo looks bigger than 11x8” I would have the photo scanned and then professionally printed, after you resized it in photoshop? Costco, Is a good p,ace to print your photos, or some other photography place, maybe Staples? I wouldn't Cut the original photo, which is beautiful btw.

The photographer wants $35 for a copyright waiver - so making a copy is a little costly.  And THANK YOU!!!!!

I like Gayle's suggestion.  Have him print one at 12 x 9.6 so the entire poster will fit on 12 x 12 card stock.  The designer did a great job blending the photos and text together.  Cutting it up would ruin it.  If you were given the Photoshop file, you could reposition elements within a square canvas, but would he sell that to you?

As to the Air Force photo, there's probably a difference, copyright/usage wise, between a photo  taken by an Air Force photographer (Public Affairs) and one taken by a civilian one brought it for a special event.

11 hours ago, Smiles said:

As to the Air Force photo, there's probably a difference, copyright/usage wise, between a photo  taken by an Air Force photographer (Public Affairs) and one taken by a civilian one brought it for a special event.

Yah, and my fingers are crossed for grandbabies within 5 years, so I would love to be able to show them photo's of their dad as they sit in our lap and flip pages.  He's 30, doesn't like to "cart old stuff around" (which is why all of his momento's are in our attic), doesn't want the photo on the wall, and is all good with whatever I do, but that just adds stress (LOL). 

On 6/30/2019 at 7:40 PM, lindarobin said:

I like Gayle's suggestion.  Have him print one at 12 x 9.6 so the entire poster will fit on 12 x 12 card stock.  The designer did a great job blending the photos and text together.  Cutting it up would ruin it.  If you were given the Photoshop file, you could reposition elements within a square canvas, but would he sell that to you?

I do need to get photoshop . . have been thinking of getting it for my Step-son's girlfriend, and might just need to get it for both of us ?

Please let us know how you make out and any results you create, this is exciting and intriguing and I’m interested to see what you do!

And OHhhhhhh....  We talk about addiction here;  Photoshop or Elements is so cool and once you get into it you never look back!  

Good luck.  :)