Scrap Girls Retreat 2019

ValerieT

5 hours ago, Florida granny said:

Oooh.... try the cranberry with a slice of lime. It's delicious! (Actually anything made by that bartender will be delicious. :D )

They both sound refreshing but had to add a touch of gin to mine as couldn't get the inspiration for this challenge :)  Fun class and its amazing we did any work with all the music and laughter :) 

No I haven't seen Celestine so I hope she joins us soon :) 

Steves 1st home

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was nice spending some time at the bar, and my rum and coke was perfect.  I altered the saturation of my alphabets for my title and then added some clip art to the title to give it more impact.   I learned enjoyed the tutorial, and the examples shown, maybe I should have another drink as a reward.  This picture of my daughter's family was taken just before they piled in the car to head home to Philadelphia, leaving us to the peace of the mountains for another week and a half.  Now...where's that drink?

One Last Picture

siggie-Sept-19.jpg.548d9fb26332ae3d16659ba7f78916dc.jpg1530379248_retreatsiggie.png.855c0854ac79a76dd2f3782ead3b0332.png

5 hours ago, alsoarty said:

It was so relaxing last night in the bar, work was done, and some giggles going on. HERE is my page with my title. I used the ripple effect on FRIENDS, and applied the stroke just as I learned in the class. And I also cured the & around the Sisters...

Andrea, your link goes to a product page, not your layout!   Can you give a link, please, I’d like to see it.  :) 

5 hours ago, alsoarty said:

I've been missing Celestine - anyone seen her around?

Hi Andrea! I've just logged onto the SG site for the first time in about a week (geesh, maybe even a few days more than that). Thanks so much for missing me, because I have been missing you all, too!!!!! I think this retreat sounds like a ton of fun, but I don't think I will have time on a daily basis this month. I've been scrapping some, but my usual output is way down.

I have been totally sidetracked by another project, namely genealogy research. I've been scanning and cataloging scads of really old family photos (mainly from the 1920s and 1930s that were of my grandmother and her siblings as children, along with her parents). I have inherited photos from my mom (my Dad was a photographer, so you can imagine the volume), my grandmother and two of her sisters who didn't have children. Plus, I just started my first subscription on Ancestry.com. Talk about a sink hole of time. Wow. I had no idea. Anyway, I've been doing some research off and on casually for about 18 months, and had run into a "brick wall" with my four-times great-grandfather and decided that I probably need to do some local research in two counties about 5 and 7 hours drive from here. Shockingly, one of the counties is literally 15 minutes from where my daughter and her Army husband are now living. So, I have planned an excursion in late September and another in October, and I have to get my act in gear because my son-in-law will definitely be transferred before next summer, so we will have no reason to really go back to the area if they aren't there. Yikes, back to deadlines again (don't miss them from my work life one bit!!!). 

So, I'll be around, but perhaps not quite so much for a couple months. I will pop by and see how you are all doing. And I will definitely do some other challenges. The LOs are looking great for the retreat so far!

41 minutes ago, Celestine said:

Hi Andrea! I've just logged onto the SG site for the first time in about a week (geesh, maybe even a few days more than that). Thanks so much for missing me, because I have been missing you all, too!!!!! I think this retreat sounds like a ton of fun, but I don't think I will have time on a daily basis this month. I've been scrapping some, but my usual output is way down.

I have been totally sidetracked by another project, namely genealogy research. I've been scanning and cataloging scads of really old family photos (mainly from the 1920s and 1930s that were of my grandmother and her siblings as children, along with her parents). I have inherited photos from my mom (my Dad was a photographer, so you can imagine the volume), my grandmother and two of her sisters who didn't have children. Plus, I just started my first subscription on Ancestry.com. Talk about a sink hole of time. Wow. I had no idea. Anyway, I've been doing some research off and on casually for about 18 months, and had run into a "brick wall" with my four-times great-grandfather and decided that I probably need to do some local research in two counties about 5 and 7 hours drive from here. Shockingly, one of the counties is literally 15 minutes from where my daughter and her Army husband are now living. So, I have planned an excursion in late September and another in October, and I have to get my act in gear because my son-in-law will definitely be transferred before next summer, so we will have no reason to really go back to the area if they aren't there. Yikes, back to deadlines again (don't miss them from my work life one bit!!!). 

So, I'll be around, but perhaps not quite so much for a couple months. I will pop by and see how you are all doing. And I will definitely do some other challenges. The LOs are looking great for the retreat so far!

Yay, you’re alive! As for your genealogy, how cool. I wish I had more photos. As for research, look f for your closest LDS church. They have great help and genealogy library. You’ll ll be amazed at how much they can help you. It’s the largest genealogical library on earth. They welcome non-members to do genealogy, and so willing to help anyone. It’ll probably be closer to to you than the long trip you have to take. If you want, I can look for the closest one to you. Let me know. 

7 minutes ago, alsoarty said:

Yay, you’re alive! As for your genealogy, how cool. I wish I had more photos. As for research, look f for your closest LDS church. They have great help and genealogy library. You’ll ll be amazed at how much they can help you. It’s the largest genealogical library on earth. They welcome non-members to do genealogy, and so willing to help anyone. It’ll probably be closer to to you than the long trip you have to take. If you want, I can look for the closest one to you. Let me know. 

Thanks for the tip, Andrea! I think I've been through some of their resources, but I should go back and look. The difficulty is that this particular ancestor's parents and uncles migrated before there was a state....or churches.....or organized cemeteries... or newspapers.... or court systems. And then he migrated again to another remote area when he was a very young man. I know there is a record somewhere that will unlock whether his father was Thomas or William! It is so hard when they all had about 10 kids and kept using the same given names.....for generations. I appreciate the encouragement!

20 hours ago, Celestine said:

19 hours ago, alsoarty said:

I've been trying to get back into my research. I took an online course several months ago on how to cite your research properly and came across a website about doing a genealogy do over. I just can't seem to get started again. That's a great tip, Andrea! I love using Family search online which I believe is run by the LDS church. It's free which is nice since Ancestry is so expensive. Good luck with your research Celestine

1 hour ago, ladyscrapalot said:

I've been trying to get back into my research. I took an online course several months ago on how to cite your research properly and came across a website about doing a genealogy do over. I just can't seem to get started again. That's a great tip, Andrea! I love using Family search online which I believe is run by the LDS church. It's free which is nice since Ancestry is so expensive. Good luck with your research Celestine

Thanks! I was so absent here on SG because I was stuffing in all the "full freight" extras during the two weeks the A____.com subscription was free! LOL. Back to basic subscription for me! Sadly, errors abound on both sites for my not-too-distant immediate family - all based on one astonishingly wrong 1910 census that was probably impacted by a language barrier. I hope you can get back into it someday. 

On 9/6/2019 at 5:55 PM, Celestine said:

Just wavin' "Hi", Celestine! I'm so glad you stopped by the retreat. Even if you can't do the layouts, it's good to see you!

I chose the second tutorial, how to decorate fonts with brushes; I used a very light brush behind the font, but then decided to use it over my whole background paper because I really liked it.  Then I used a brush and styles and a stroke around the larger font in the title.  This is our new kitten:  Delta Dawn

Here us my Retreat #3. Have a great day everyone. I had to use that picture of us wearing the shirts from this years Demolition Derby that our son's shop was in the were the perfect color!!!

I hope everyone saw the northern lights last night they were so beautiful. We are heading out for a night at anchor our last overnight away from the dock for this year. ?  My communications will not be often. I hope you all are going to behave till I'm back with the next task.

1 hour ago, Boatlady said:

Here us my Retreat #3. Have a great day everyone. I had to use that picture of us wearing the shirts from this years Demolition Derby that our son's shop was in the were the perfect color!!!

I hope everyone saw the northern lights last night they were so beautiful. We are heading out for a night at anchor our last overnight away from the dock for this year. ?  My communications will not be often. I hope you all are going to behave till I'm back with the next task.

Have funny Debby!  
I didn’t see any Northern Lights; I wish I had!   Not sure they were visible this much more South in NJ but it was also kind of cloudy.

I’ve been peeking into the SG Retreat but haven’t been able to join in.   Now isn’t that silly?  I NEED a retreat!   :hit-head-with-hammer:
I’ll see what tomorrow brings.   Hope everyone behaves until then!  :) 

8 minutes ago, MariJ said:

Have funny Debby!  
I didn’t see any Northern Lights; I wish I had!   Not sure they were visible this much more South in NJ but it was also kind of cloudy.

I’ve been peeking into the SG Retreat but haven’t been able to join in.   Now isn’t that silly?  I NEED a retreat!   :hit-head-with-hammer:
I’ll see what tomorrow brings.   Hope everyone behaves until then!  :) 

Gee, Marilyn, I hope you can join us for at least part of the retreat! So far, everyone is behaving. :newangel: (Well, at least as much as we usually do when all these Scrap Girls get together). And maybe you didn't see Northern Lights in NJ last night, but they were beautiful here at the retreat! Now I have to do my layout. Hope to see you for drinks tonight? Or whatever is planned for our month.