Hello from England

kiwiwannabe

I am from a small town in the middle of the fens in Cambridgeshire. I have the biggest skies right outside my window and I love it. Mum of 5, Grandma to 6  and expectant Great Grandma of 1 this December so I have plenty of photography subjects to document. 

I have been a digital scrapper for about 2 years now, after many, many years as a paper scrapper.  I am really enjoying it, especially all the techniques you can do and love learning new ones.  However, I am still completely puzzled by one thing.  Many of my digital kits come with preview.jpg thumbnails and also folder.jpgs thumbnails.  What is the difference and how are they used?  At present I am just ignoring them both, but figure that there must be a reason why the designers include them in a kit, but I am clueless as to the why, or what to do with them.  If anyone can clue me in I would be very gratefull!

2016-06-18.JPG

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm sure one of gurus can.  Welcome to the club!  I think you'll like it here.  The challenges are fun and can sometimes stretch you to try new things so jump in and give them a try.  Sounds like you have lots of grands to scrap.  Congratulations on the upcoming great grandchild too.

Hi there. If you use windows a "folder.jpg" will show up as a picture of whatever is inside that folder if you choose to view icons. I use it to quickly get a snapshot of whatever is inside a folder. I don't know anything about the mac system and I'm not certain about preview.jpg. I delete those and just use the files named folder.jpg. Clear as mud?? Someone else may chime in with a better explanation. Welcome to Scrapgirls and congratulations on your growing family!!

Hi and welcome to scrap girls!   
I never knew anything about the “view icons” so that’s good to know!   
When I buy a collection I put all of the pieces into one folder.   I will then put the jpeg for the “embellishments” next to it and the one for that “alpha” next to that folder, etc.   Then when I open the collection folder if I want to see what embellishments there are I don’t have to open the folder and look at them individually;  I can see them all at once on the marketing image (jpeg).   I’d be lost without those jpegs and am not happy when occasionally they are not included!

I hope that made sense.   I’m sure everyone uses them differently.

Welcome to Scrap Girls

I hope you settle in and enjoy being here. Never hesitate to ask for any help you may need. Remember to always say what scrapbooking program you are using as there are different procedures depending on your program.

Thank you all, for your warm welcome, and replies to my question.

I use Windows 10 to organise my supplies and PSE to play with them. I also put my supplies into folders with sub folders inside those for the various pieces and parts of the collection.

View icons!!!   I am off to find this elusive piece of technological wizardry forthwith.

Thank again everyone.

Hi Englishrose

I was in Maldon, Essex only this last weekend!!  I had never visited there before and had a great time. As 3 of my children live in Essex, I usually just visit them and seldom get to see the surrounding areas!! I was born and raised just 5 miles from Ely, so I’m a true Fen Tiger.

Thank you for your welcome.

Welcome to Scrap Girls!  We're so glad you found us!

One last thought on the folder files.  If you store a whole collection in one file, when you move the embellishments, papers, and word art from their individual files, you'll have 3 preview files all named folder.  Scrap Girls designers use marketing images for the same purpose, but they won't be written over if you dump everything into one file.  Does that make sense?

Thank you for your welcome, ladies!  

I  can (at last) see a a good use for the preview files....hurrah!    I think I shall put all the previews into a separate folder, which I can then browse through, to select the kit I wish to work with. I am sure that once I get into the swing of things and remember to actually look at them they will be of great help.

Thank you everyone for your help and the very warm welcome.

37 minutes ago, kiwiwannabe said:

Hi Marie.....another fellow Brit!!  Thank you for your welcome.  I am beginning to feel like one of the gang already.  And I am beginning to understand what a great gang this is to belong to.

It IS and we’re so glad you’re with us!   :)