Monday CHATTER!

Monday through Friday of Anniversary week we’re going to chatter - ScrapGirls’ style - with a different topic each day.  Today’s Chatter thread is a Memory one. 
This is ScrapGirls’ 15th Anniversary which is kind of like a class reunion and what do we do during a class reunion?  We sit around and chat or catch up and talk about memories.   Let’s share our memories of ScrapGirls.  Do you have a funny story you’d like to tell?  Do you ever wonder what happened to another member or do you have a ScrapGirls’ product you fell in love with?  Let’s all chat about our ScrapGirl memories - just chime in!  What do YOU remember?

One of my fondest memories is old-time ScrapGirls’ chats when there were so many participants it was hard to keep track of what everyone was saying!   So many things happened during those chats and we got glimpses into everyone’s lives outside of scrapping.   I vividly remember being in an afternoon chat when Valerie excitedly shared that Ben had taken his first step….  Another night in the middle of a chat April “Eeeeked” and shared that her daughter’s boyfriend was asking her Dad for her hand in marriage!

I also loved all the fun events ScrapGirls held, but I think my favorite was Mischief Week and — all that mischief!  :D

First I was a lurker at SG ( back when Ro ran it) and then as I started to participate I was welcomed by so many members. They were all so friendly, helpful and fun. I went to the Wednesday chats because I was home and really enjoyed the chats with April. I miss members like Jody, Aggie, Carol  and so many others that were on the forum all the time. When there were events so many members joined in it was hard to keep up in the chat room like Marilyn said.

My Facebook memories this last week show that 10 years ago, I was in SLC at the second (and last) SG "convention".  SO MANY great friends that I was able to meet in real life.  I am close friends to this day with several of them!!  

You are right Marilyn!  It was difficult to keep up sometimes in the chat room when there were so many people and shenanigans going on.  GOOD TIMES!!

We still have our "Midwest" meet ups once a year.  We had our first one (I believe) the summer before that second convention.  Sandi, Danna, Angie, Theresa (Tiza), Kathy are the ones I can remember...it was just a day but we had fun!  Who did I miss?

I first participated in the recipe card swap and I was terrified!!  

1 minute ago, SodScrap said:

We still have our "Midwest" meet ups once a year.  We had our first one (I believe) the summer before that second convention.  Sandi, Danna, Angie, Conda, Theresa and Kathy are the ones I can remember...it was just a day but we had fun!  Who did I miss?

Oh yes Theresa...she was so nice, so sad she is gone.

I was actually afraid to join the Forum and post pages, but my first SG Event was a class with Anna Mansfield - the best teacher and classes around!  It was to make a little 4x6 book “Who I Am - Right Now” and each day we got a topic/task and even cool readings!  To be in the class you had to join the Forum and Gallery so that’s how I dove in.  I was so overcome with how kind and helpful ScrapGirls were, I felt right at home immediately!   I also couldn’t believe at the first Chat Class that I was actually sitting here talking with people all over the world, I was in awe!  It still never ceases to amaze me, even now.
Where else could you actually meet FRIENDS online, not only cyber-friends but friends you actually want to and do meet who are REAL friends, not online ones?   I still can’t believe Jody and I became so close and that I actually traveled to AUSTRALIA to meet her and spend a few weeks together!   I wonder how many SG Meet-ups there have been?

So far, I’ve met Jody, Laraine, Ngaire, Carla - who am I forgetting?  Well of course there’s Diane but since we’re related and knew each other before-hand, does that count?  :D
I wonder how many ScrapGirls have actually met through the years?

1 hour ago, SodScrap said:

We still have our "Midwest" meet ups once a year.  We had our first one (I believe) the summer before that second convention.  Sandi, Danna, Angie, Theresa (Tiza), Kathy are the ones I can remember...it was just a day but we had fun!  Who did I miss?

There was the mother/daughter that came from Kansas also.  I can't remember their names.

2 hours ago, SodScrap said:

AND...our meet up is THIS WEEKEND!!  On Thursday, we will all meet up in Kansas City for fun, food and scrapping!  Cannot wait!!

I saw early postings about a Midwest Meet-up around the forum when I first started lurking last fall, but I was so new I didn't even consider it, and then I didn't see anything else. Since I am in the MidWest, I will have to keep an eye out for the next date! Have fun! 

Golly, so many memories over the years.

Here's one - Tess from Sweden came to the second convention, and it turns out she was a foreign exchange student at the same high school my husband attended, decades before her. He had driven out with me, and so they actually got to meet and swap memories.

I was a lurker for a while back in 2006 when RO ran it but noticed Ngaire was from NZ so thought what the heck and jumped in........never looked back and we have been friends since then. I remember Ngaire going to the convention and meeting here at Auckland Airport as she had a short stop-over there, I really wished I could have gone with her.  I have met Hilary when in the UK and that wass wonderful meeting another Scrap Girl from overseas it was like I'd known her for years :) Can't wait to meet more of you when one day I'll get to the USA :) I wish I could join your mid-west meet-up :) 

Does anybody know where Joyce is I have messaged her a few times but no reply and I;m worried about her. I miss seeing Jody around and her gorgeous LO's

4 hours ago, Smiles said:

Golly, so many memories over the years.

Here's one - Tess from Sweden came to the second convention, and it turns out she was a foreign exchange student at the same high school my husband attended, decades before her. He had driven out with me, and so they actually got to meet and swap memories.

Wow, that’s an amazing coincidence!

On 10/14/2019 at 2:45 PM, Jane in N.Z said:

I was a lurker for a while back in 2006 when RO ran it but noticed Ngaire was from NZ so thought what the heck and jumped in........never looked back and we have been friends since then. I remember Ngaire going to the convention and meeting here at Auckland Airport as she had a short stop-over there, I really wished I could have gone with her.  I have met Hilary when in the UK and that wass wonderful meeting another Scrap Girl from overseas it was like I'd known her for years :) Can't wait to meet more of you when one day I'll get to the USA :) I wish I could join your mid-west meet-up :) 

Does anybody know where Joyce is I have messaged her a few times but no reply and I;m worried about her. I miss seeing Jody around and her gorgeous LO's

I so miss Jody and her layouts too Jane - not to mention her kind spirit and funny sense of humor!  Or should I say HUMOUR, she’d say.   

I also have wondered about Joyce and a few others have mentioned her also.  I so wish we could contact her and me too, been worried about her.   She’s missed.  

Scrap Girls was the second digi forum I ever joined in 2008, after joining an Aussie one... Nuts 4 Digi which closed some years ago.  I was just starting out using PSE6 and there was a member here and sadly I only think her name was Debbie..... she is no longer here but she was so very helpful with me learning how to use PSE6. When I joined there were two other very active Aussies..... Jo Corne and ?  (she comes from near where I now live).  I will possibly remember her name after I walk away from the computer. I still have a little bit of contact with Jo as she is still a designer.

Marilyn, I remember doing classes with Anna and I still have the printed out instructions for them somewhere unless I did throw them out when I had a tidy up.

Back in the early days when I was becoming active here I always dreamed of becoming part of the team ( not designing ) but I was unsuccessful when I applied. The one team I really felt regret about missing out on was the Hybrid Team.

In person I have met Ngaire which was a wonderful day during Ken's and my cruise to New Zealand. We had hoped to meet up with Jane but due to miscommunication and my mobile phone not working in NZ the meeting did not happen which was disappointing. 

I fondly remember my first chat, first post and first easypage layout all on the same day in Nov 2006. My head was spinning just keeping up with the chat, the "Magic Wand" was giving me fits in PSE 5, but with the help of kind and friendly SG's (wxchic, ngaire, sprinklz, to name a few) it all came together! 

This has been an awesome thread to read.  So many memories.  Back in the day the chat room was always busy.  Sometimes even in the middle of the night you could check in and somebody was there just waiting for a chat.  Meeting everyone in person at the two conventions was so much fun, and friendships were made which are true to this day. Meeting people from all over the world here at Scrap Girls, both online and in real life, is testimony to the community that has been built here.  The longevity of Scrap Girls is what really stands out too, with so many going so far back, sharing so many memories, but all the while being so welcoming to new members. It's cool.  I've been here since 2007, and have never looked back. Hard to believe it's been so many years.  Also, I've wondered about Joyce too...

On 10/14/2019 at 9:36 AM, Celestine said:

I saw early postings about a Midwest Meet-up around the forum when I first started lurking last fall, but I was so new I didn't even consider it, and then I didn't see anything else. Since I am in the MidWest, I will have to keep an eye out for the next date! Have fun! 

For sure!  We usually meet up once a year at least (sometimes try for twice)

On 10/14/2019 at 6:01 AM, MariJ said:

I was actually afraid to join the Forum and post pages, but my first SG Event was a class with Anna Mansfield - the best teacher and classes around!  It was to make a little 4x6 book “Who I Am - Right Now” and each day we got a topic/task and even cool readings!  To be in the class you had to join the Forum and Gallery so that’s how I dove in.  I was so overcome with how kind and helpful ScrapGirls were, I felt right at home immediately!   I also couldn’t believe at the first Chat Class that I was actually sitting here talking with people all over the world, I was in awe!  It still never ceases to amaze me, even now.
Where else could you actually meet FRIENDS online, not only cyber-friends but friends you actually want to and do meet who are REAL friends, not online ones?   I still can’t believe Jody and I became so close and that I actually traveled to AUSTRALIA to meet her and spend a few weeks together!   I wonder how many SG Meet-ups there have been?

So far, I’ve met Jody, Laraine, Ngaire, Carla - who am I forgetting?  Well of course there’s Diane but since we’re related and knew each other before-hand, does that count?  :D
I wonder how many ScrapGirls have actually met through the years?

Wait... you and Diane are related?!!!  Really?  How do I not know this?  ?

2 hours ago, Mikelle said:

Wait... you and Diane are related?!!!  Really?  How do I not know this?  ?

Haha!   Actually she is married to my very-young uncle but she’s always been my aunt!  :)  I always say ScrapGirls has to blame Diane for me, she’s the one that told me about Digital Scrapping and then introduced me to “the best scrapbooking site”!   The rest is history.

You might notice sometimes that we’ve scrapped the same three kids - her Grandkids and my cousins;  one of which is my Goddaughter!  Just scrapped her as a little one the other day.  :) 

I like seeing all the different memories people have had.  I have never really been a "message board" person.  Even back in the day before things like Facebook, killed off most forums like ours.  I was more behind the scene's with customer service. I would pop in from time to time but just didn't get to spend alot of time on it.  

There are many people though that I wonder what's happened to them.  Joyce, we haven't seen for awhile.  Carol...I hope she's doing well (I will send her an email from time to time) and many designers that moved on and stopped designing.  I hope they are all doing well.

And can I say how I have a love/hate relationship with things like Facebook.  I think that was the beginning of the end for open forums like ours.  So many people made the migration there.  

2 hours ago, sheilaj said:

I haven't been on here for YEARS, its kind of nice to be back. The person I really remember is Zaz, she was so creative and out there. I don't digitally scrap so much now but I still buy kits and use them as printables. Long Live Scrapgirls!

Nice to see you again!  :)