Thursday Anniversary CHATTER!

Update!  By random draw, Rose Ann is the winner of the $3 Gift Certificate to the SG Shop - Congrats, Rose Ann!  Send an email to Prizes@ScrapGirls.com to claim your prize.

It’s time for a Flashback!  15 years is a LONG time, and the scrapping world has changed a lot – I can’t believe that much time has passed since Scrap Girls began, but I’m so grateful SG has stuck around.  I can’t imagine scrapping without the inspiration I get from the challenges and awesome scrappers here at SG!  I myself first checked out SG in 2007 when my older daughter was only 6 months old (she’s 12 now), and I officially joined SG in 2008 (I know, my profile says 2010, I had a different sign-on at first).

Today, let’s flash back to your “early years” with Scrap Girls.  Tell us – or better yet, SHOW us – the first kit or two that you bought here at Scrap Girls.  How about the first layout you ever created and/or posted here at SG?  Show us!  If you no longer have your “firsts”, post the oldest that you do still have.  Or, post a link to your first SG layout.

Any posts in this thread containing one of your earlier kits and/or layouts will be entered into a random drawing for a $3 SG Gift Certificate to the SG Store!  Post your kits/layouts here in this thread by Saturday night, October 19th 2019, midnight ET to be eligible.

And… GO!

Well, I'll be the first to go, since I'm already here!  This is the first layout I EVER created, and I think it was with the free kit SG offered at the time to get you hooked on digital scrapping.  (Their plan worked quite well on me, needless to say!)  The kit was Syndee's Summer Girl Collection... my computer says that I acquired the kit on July 9th, 2007.  Wow!

Before I created this layout, I had gone through the first several lessons in the free how-to handbook SG offered (offers?)  Or maybe it was Ro's Photoshop lessons, I don't remember.  I do remember being very proud of myself with this layout, that I figured out how to make the fish different sizes and tilt them!

KarlieBathPost.jpg

Here is the very first page I shared way back in 2008: image.png.4856e0d16a1ebb4921f6c7fc5087d974.png

I am going to go looking for one of my first kits.

One of the attractions to the store here at Scrapbooks was Actions and Styles... I am a real style junkie.  On an old EHD I found downloads from May 2008 which is about when I joined here. This is a set of actions by Brandy Murry - Sketch It -  that has the date 29 th May 2008 on my download :

BMU_SSTools_Actions_SketchIt_Sepia.png.eec2452558da37b6c074c7091c035faf.png  ( sorry I cannot get the image to show any bigger )

The first collection I ever bought at SG was Thao Cosgrove’s beautiful “Naturescape” and it was in 2010!  I loved this collection and still do as I really like scrapping Nature photos.  I love how clear the papers and embellishments are displayed so I could see everything I was buying and there’s a wonderful assortment of embellishments.
wm_TCS_Naturescape_CollectionBiggie_MTKG600.jpg
 I created a few layouts on my own, but didn’t post them, nor did I join the Forum until a few months later when I took a SG class with Anna Mansfield.   This was my first posted layout - the class had us making a 4” x 6” book about ourselves.   They were originally posted in a private SG Gallery but in one of the Gallery changeovers April changed them over so they could be seen! 
Day1.jpg

My first page as Boatlady Slow Scrap  September 2014. I was on before as a lurker under another name (which I do not remember)and different email but after a computer crash I became who I am now.

http://scrapgirls.net/forum/uploads/monthly_09_2014/post-24445-0-37923000-1410522828.jpg

My first purchase was 2014 for 2 retired products Upon a Watercolor Sea Embellishments by and Chic  Instincts Nano Collection. Ultimate Artist Brandy Murray, Coastal Embellishement biggie, Action_PaperTears PSE 5001

What a fun time this has been. Happy Scrapping Memories everyone.

I joined SG in July 2010 but had been lurking for a while. Discovering scrapbooking coincided with retirement from my teaching job and the birth of my first grandchild. I've been hooked ever since. Among my first purchases were TYO_Glazed and KSC_RoughHewn. I think I deleted in embarrassment my first attempts and I can't recall the first LO I posted. Here's a very early attempt - I have no idea what collection I used as I save everything as JPEG once it's finished.

adorable.jpg

8 hours ago, A-M said:

One of the attractions to the store here at Scrapbooks was Actions and Styles... I am a real style junkie.  On an old EHD I found downloads from May 2008 which is about when I joined here. This is a set of actions by Brandy Murry - Sketch It -  that has the date 29 th May 2008 on my download :

BMU_SSTools_Actions_SketchIt_Sepia.png.eec2452558da37b6c074c7091c035faf.png  ( sorry I cannot get the image to show any bigger )

I am style junkie, too!  I found a few that I bought in 2007.  Doesn't seem like I've had them that long!

7 hours ago, Jane in N.Z said:

one of my early kits was ASO_Roma but I can't remember what was my first one as it was in 2006 :) 

My first LO was Dragon Boating. It took me a long time from when I joined to posting my first LO :) 

Dragon Boating

Wow, this is a really good LO - doesn't look like a first time LO!  Were you a paper scrapper before digital?

I have several of the early kits you all have mentioned.  I still use them!  Here's Scenic Route, from Angie; it was the November 2007 SG Club collection.  By then, I had convinced DH to let me sign up for the clubs, and I've gotten them ever since!

post-5375-0-62932000-1333645650.jpg

4 hours ago, Mikelle said:

Wow, this is a really good LO - doesn't look like a first time LO!  Were you a paper scrapper before digital?

1 hour ago, Jane in N.Z said:

I did do some paper scrapping but I had about 6 months to practice before I posted anything :) 

I thought the same thing when I saw it;  wow Jane.   Sure doesn’t look like a first time layout!  :)

I started digital scrapbooking in 2008 using only freebies and a free layer program, GIMP. I was just testing the waters and didn't want to put any money into it at first. I was quickly hooked! Here is my first page, Island Beauty. It's obvious I knew nothing about shadows. I was just so proud to figure out my own page design. I joined Scrap Girls in July 2011 and the first kit I bought was Brandy Murry's Coastal, which is still being sold in the store and which I still use.

2005.IKE.FINAL.700.SQ.jpg

BMU_Coastal_S4H_CommercialLic.jpg

On 10/18/2019 at 6:06 AM, Rose Ann said:

This is the first layout I posted, but didn't use the first collection I bought. As far as I can tell, it was called Frosty Fall (Melissa Renfro), which is dated 10-4-05. I think this layout used Sparkling Snowflakes (Amanda Sok). 

gallery_5279_9_70832.jpg

Congratulations, Rose Ann!  You are the winner of a $3 Gift Certificate to the SG Shop for participating in the Thursday chat thread.  Email Angie at Prizes@ScrapGirls.com to claim your gift certificate.  ?