Wazzy

Saving Original Supplies

OK, I've done next to none digital scrapbooking and absolutely none using an actual kit (paper, embellishments, etc).
Found a kit that I want to use for a project, so bought and download and all of that.
I have PSE13 and am wondering when I "bring in" my supplies (paper, embellishments, photos, ... ) and I go to use them, am I supposed to make a duplicate of everything so I preserve the original and don't lose it?
A lot of videos I've watched some do this and some don't, so wondering what the deal is.
TIA!

Marti

What you'll do is start a new file, whatever size your scrapping so usually 12x12 or 8.5x11.  Then you'll start bringing in your supplies, photos to PSE.  Drag them over to the new document and then close the original.  You've now got a copy of your items on your layout.  You'll save that layout with an original name.  

Doing this your originals are still there and you've got your layout saved also

Thanks Angie!
I think that answers my question.
Whenever I've done stuff with just my photos and making my own page layouts, I give whatever project I'm working a new name, and didn't really think about what was going on. Especially with my own photos, which never seemed to be changed or disappear or whatever.
So to make sure I'm understanding what's going on here, this is what I think is happening.
I have all my stuff that I'm using for a project in the PSE13 photo bin. When I drag whatever up to my 12x12 sheet, what's actually being placed there is a copy of the original.  Since it's now part of whatever the name is of this new file, the original image is preserved.
Makes sense.

1 hour ago, Wazzy said:

Thanks Angie!
I think that answers my question.
Whenever I've done stuff with just my photos and making my own page layouts, I give whatever project I'm working a new name, and didn't really think about what was going on. Especially with my own photos, which never seemed to be changed or disappear or whatever.
So to make sure I'm understanding what's going on here, this is what I think is happening.
I have all my stuff that I'm using for a project in the PSE13 photo bin. When I drag whatever up to my 12x12 sheet, what's actually being placed there is a copy of the original.  Since it's now part of whatever the name is of this new file, the original image is preserved.
Makes sense.

That sound right!  Just remember to “save as” and not “save” or that will save everything on the page to the 12x12 you are using!

16 hours ago, MariJ said:

That sound right!  Just remember to “save as” and not “save” or that will save everything on the page to the 12x12 you are using!

Excellent point! Thanks!

I recommend you follow Angie's suggestion.  Despite my best efforts, I have occasionally messed up an original.

That's OK for SG products, because I keep the zipped files, but can be heartbreaking with a photo.

Just saying....

6 hours ago, Smiles said:

I recommend you follow Angie's suggestion.  Despite my best efforts, I have occasionally messed up an original.

That's OK for SG products, because I keep the zipped files, but can be heartbreaking with a photo.

Just saying....

Most definitely!
Any photos that I'm working with are already duplicated. I never touch the originals, except to copy.
I also keep the zip files of the scrapping stuff I've bought, so if I mistakenly do mess up the original I have that to go back to.
I have several different backups of all my files (I do a lot of genealogy), so yeah, it's a whole thing.

I always duplicate (File-Duplicate) templates to make sure they are not over written.  If you are going to alter something with a destructive method then you also have to Duplicate that item.