Project Life 2020

angleigh

BannerSM2.jpg

I’m excited to be leading this year Project Life (PL) group.  Being someone who successfully completed this project once, I know the stress and preparation that goes into it, especially your first time.  So while many of us are finishing up our 2019 layouts, or those Christmas layouts. And I know PL 2020 doesn’t start until next week. Now is the perfect time to start preparing.

So I wanted to give you all a few tips and pointers and how to be successful at PL.

To start, this year, we’ll be giving you 3 options of prompts a month.  There will be a daily version, where each day you’ll have a different prompt.  A weekly version, where you’ll use the same prompt all week. And a monthly version, where you’ll use the same prompt for the month.  Of course, you always have the option to do your own thing….or go back and forth between the prompts.  

Regardless of how you choose to do your PL, here’s a few tips to make it successful:

• Do Your Thing - choose a version that you think you will be successful with.  Do not feel pressure because there are people following the daily prompts. If you are more comfortable and feel you will succeed using monthly prompts then use those. What makes sense to you will be what your successful in.  And remember you can always switch back and forth.  
  • Keep up.  Once you are organized and have a plan of action creating the layouts shouldn’t take much time at all.  
  • Routine is key.  Maybe you sit down each night and go through your photos you took that day.  Or maybe your Friday night plan is to scrap your page for the week. Maybe your doing a monthly page and the 1st of the month you sit down and scrap.  Whatever it is...routine is the key to being successful with this project. 
  • Keep it simple - don’t overdo it.  Remember these pages revolve around photos and journaling so you don’t need alot of embellishments and such. Remember simple = success
  • Be consistent.  In 2019 I did not do PL but when I did it in 2018 I found consistency and planning out what I was going to use helped.  Before I started my pages, I put everything I was going to use for the book in a folder. I use the same set of template(s) for the year, same papers:  I choose a set of solids and a set of small patterns, a few embellishments, and the same font throughout the whole book. Not having to search through all my kits to find the perfect one made it easier.  I knew I had to choose from what was in that specific folder
  • Once you create a page move on.  Don’t go back and rethink the page like you would a “pretty picture” layout.  
  • Before you start have a goal in mind.  Are you doing daily/weekly or monthly prompts (or maybe your own thing).  What are you doing with the pages when your done. Are you printing? What size and through who?  Have you checked to see what tips printer gives you to make sure important things aren’t cute off.  Why are you doing this? Is if for your family? Or maybe it’s for yourself

There are 2 main parts of PL:  Photos and Journaling. Below you’ll find some tips to help you be more successful in both of these areas.

Photos

• Take photos daily.  And not just of large events like parties, holidays, etc.  Take photos of everyday life. Don’t overthink it, just snap a few keep it simple and fun.  There’s no need to drag out your big dslr for this, your camera phone if perfect for PL.
  • Also keep in mind your photos for PL do not have to be those “perfect” photos.  Sometimes the imperfect ones capture the story best.  
  • Consider taking some time at the end of each day to review the photos you have taken and delete the ones that you don’t want to use.  While doing this remember your not just looking for those “perfect” photos. Sometimes the imperfect photos tell the story the best.
  • Big events, choose a couple of photos that best represent the event and use them on your PL page.  Then tuck the rest of the photos away for your pages that you do for the event. That way if you don’t get to scrapping the event it will still be represented in your PL book

Journaling

Words...stories are just as important as the photos.  Without them, all you have is another “pretty” photo. Unless you journal the memory or feeling behind the photo you lose detail.

If your like me though,  all you can think is “i’m not a writer” or “my grammar stinks”...you know what.  It’s ok, no one is going to judge you. The most important thing is to get that story down on the page. 

Here’s some journaling tips

• Journaling does not mean writing a book.  Keep it short/sweet
  • Don’t know what to write.  Imagine showing the photo(s) to your husband/friend etc what would you tell them about the photos and/or week.  Write that down
  • Quote your loved ones or tell a story behind the photo
  • Jot down notes as the week goes along.  Use your note option in your phone, note in your journal/planner or keep a notebook

Finally, I know a lot of you are thinking with all of these photos and journaling my layouts are going to be “boring” compared to my more artistic layouts I do.  I’m not going to be able to use my clusters and my mask. I get it...because this is a completely different way of scrapping for most of us. But I wanted to give you all some tips to help your PL pages “pop”

• Use black and white photos and even pair them with black and white journaling cards, elements and papers.  This will give your book a clean/classic look
  • If your using colored photos, keep your paper/embellishments colors the same through the book.  Using a pop of 2-3 colors won’t compete with your photos
  • If your not doing a double page spread, coordinate colors of facing pages
  • Add a border to your photos.  This will let them pop off of the background paper
  • Use the same papers/embellishments through the book
  • Use the same template or style of template through the book
  • Trim the photos to remove clutter or to spotlight the main story of the photo.  Remember there’s alot of photos on these pages so it’s best to really showcase what the main story is
  • Add journaling to the photo if there’s empty space
  • Keep embellishments small

So now for the details

Prizes

Monthly: Everyone month one lucky participant will win a $5 Gift Certificate. All you need to do is simply upload a layout in the ProjectLife2020 Gallery and you'll be in the drawing

Quarterly: Winners will be randomly drawn from members who post layouts in the ProjectLife2020 Gallery.  To keep it fair between those doing weekly or monthly layouts you are allowed 1 entry per month.  So as long as you post a layout each month you'll be entered.  The quarterly winner will win a Collection Biggie (valued at $9.99) of their choice

Yearly: Everyone who uploads one layout a month for an entire year to the  ProjectLife2020 Gallery will be entered into a prize drawing for one person to win a $50 Scrap Girls Gift certificate.  But what if you don't win the big prize?  That's ok...as long as you uploaded one layout a month, you will receive a $10 Gift Certificate for finishing the year.

And we have a new button for you to add to your signature if you'd like:

PL2020.png http://scrapgirls.com/BLINKIES/PL2020.png

Now is the time to ask any questions you may have.  We will officially start Jan 5th, that's when I will post the first prompts.

ps.  This is our chatting thread.  You can find the monthly prompts and check in thread HERE

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will be doing Project Life again for 2020 but will possibly do like this year and make them monthly pages.  If I create any pages with all Scrap Girls Products I will share them in the gallery.  But like this year I will not be eligible for any prizes and I am okay with that. I just want to make use of some of my large stash of digi products and use embellishments that match in with the photos.  I have still not finished my pages for this year as I  have this month to do for the photos but all 12 months worth of journaling pages to do.

22 hours ago, alsoarty said:

with my boring life I need prompts to take photos.

Oh, Andrea, I so can relate!

Last year I failed miserably so I'm not sure why I'm going to try again this year. I turn the big 6-0 this year and I've been trying to think of special things to do to celebrate this milestone. I had been thinking of doing a photo a day but this is even better. However, because of my work schedule I'll most likely do a weekly layout.

1 hour ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Oh, Andrea, I so can relate!

Last year I failed miserably so I'm not sure why I'm going to try again this year. I turn the big 6-0 this year and I've been trying to think of special things to do to celebrate this milestone. I had been thinking of doing a photo a day but this is even better. However, because of my work schedule I'll most likely do a weekly layout.

I wish I was turning 60.... I’ll be 68 next August. I certainly don’t feel it though. Plus I want to get a job.

On 12/27/2019 at 5:29 PM, Mikelle said:

Yay, daily prompts!  They really help me keep up with PL, better than usual, anyway.  I'll keep plugging away at catching up on 2019, and maybe I'll be ready to start fresh for 2020.

I've tried the daily prompts a few times and I just felt like I was pressured all day to find a photo that fits the prompt.  I think the weekly ones were my favorite.

On 12/27/2019 at 6:47 PM, Boatlady said:

I am hopelessly behind on PJ2019 so I am thinking I will never keep up with it. I will try though.

We've got monthly quotes this time around...that might be easier to keep up with.  If you were someone that printed books I thought it might be fun to have your PL page first, then behind it any special pages you created of events that month.  Kind of like a quick month if review, followed by a closer look at the month.

I am very on the fence about trying out a Project Life yearlong scrap challenge. Since I was new to the forum last year, I viewed Project2019 from the sidelines. I have a few questions. In last year's explanation, it was stated that themed layouts - such as a wedding or vacation - could be used. However, the weekly prompts were very day-to-day things that I think would have been difficult to fit into a themed project (i.e. "happens every day," "my view today", or "on my left"). What are some recommendations on how to fit these prompts into themed projects? Or perhaps Angie has some insight about the types of prompts that will be used in 2020.... At this time of my life I am more interested in working on a family heritage book or making real progress on my "old vacations" book rather than documenting the day-to-day. Any suggestions from those who have done themes for Project Life challenges before? If my kids still lived at home or I had some grandchildren or we traveled a lot, I would be all over this challenge, but we just aren't there yet! ?

14 minutes ago, Celestine said:

I am very on the fence about trying out a Project Life yearlong scrap challenge. Since I was new to the forum last year, I viewed Project2019 from the sidelines. I have a few questions. In last year's explanation, it was stated that themed layouts - such as a wedding or vacation - could be used. However, the weekly prompts were very day-to-day things that I think would have been difficult to fit into a themed project (i.e. "happens every day," "my view today", or "on my left"). What are some recommendations on how to fit these prompts into themed projects? Or perhaps Angie has some insight about the types of prompts that will be used in 2020.... At this time of my life I am more interested in working on a family heritage book or making real progress on my "old vacations" book rather than documenting the day-to-day. Any suggestions from those who have done themes for Project Life challenges before? If my kids still lived at home or I had some grandchildren or we traveled a lot, I would be all over this challenge, but we just aren't there yet! ?

So last years was a different type of project.  It really wasn't Project Life, it was more about creating an album through the year.  Where you were given some ideas and prompts to work through the book. Now we did give you PL prompts for those wanting to do it that way.

This will be true PL style prompts.  So they will be "to your right" or maybe "door" for a weekly prompt.

BUT that doesn't mean you can't join in.  As I stated in the top post, you can choose any of the 3 type of prompts that I will give you...or you can choose to go out on your own.  Maybe your goal for PL is to finish one of your old vacation books...awesome!  You may decided to take it on in PL style.  Picking some templates with lots of photos, and picking a kit you'll use through the whole thing.  Then creating a page every couple of weeks.  Or you may choose to mix/match kits and templates through it.  Either way is great. 

But still join us, post your layouts in the PL gallery and you'll be in all the drawings for prizes.  And we'd love to encourage you to get your book finished in 2020 

1 hour ago, angleigh said:

So last years was a different type of project.  It really wasn't Project Life, it was more about creating an album through the year.  Where you were given some ideas and prompts to work through the book. Now we did give you PL prompts for those wanting to do it that way.

This will be true PL style prompts.  So they will be "to your right" or maybe "door" for a weekly prompt.

BUT that doesn't mean you can't join in.  As I stated in the top post, you can choose any of the 3 type of prompts that I will give you...or you can choose to go out on your own.  Maybe your goal for PL is to finish one of your old vacation books...awesome!  You may decided to take it on in PL style.  Picking some templates with lots of photos, and picking a kit you'll use through the whole thing.  Then creating a page every couple of weeks.  Or you may choose to mix/match kits and templates through it.  Either way is great. 

But still join us, post your layouts in the PL gallery and you'll be in all the drawings for prizes.  And we'd love to encourage you to get your book finished in 2020 

Oh, very cool. I missed the part where you can "do your own thing." This will be an excellent way to make sure I stay on track getting that "old vacations" book done. I've been working on it in bits and pieces since I started digital scrapping, but have so much more to go. This challenge will definitely make sure I pay attention to it. Thanks, Angie!

5 hours ago, Celestine said:

Celestine, I agree with what Angie said, about making PL your own.  After doing PL for two years (well, I'm trying to get 2019 done now), I've found I really like daily prompts like we did in 2018, but they CAN be burdensome to keep up with.  When I had a really busy week, I would focus less on the daily prompts and more on whatever events happened that week.  I've found I really like PL  exactly because I can structure it however I want.  Definitely join in!

A few other things Angie said in her first "tips" post resonate with me...

- I have found that using my less-than-perfect photos work great for PL layouts, especially if they're a bit out of focus.  The photos are smaller on PL layouts.  I have ended up using a lot more cell phone photos for my PL layouts, since it's easy to get a few photos of daily life each day using my phone, versus my DSLR.

- Journaling at least a little on PL layouts IS important, I think.  I can imagine 10 or 20 years from now, looking at these layouts, and being able to remember the events documented only because of my journaling.  The little details...  

- Knowing I will likely get behind (I got terribly behind in 2019), I use a bullet journal to keep track of things that have happened.  On a particular day, I might write something like "Went to dinner at Dad's house", or other things that seem pretty routine but I want to be able to mark it down in case I need it for PL later.  When I finally sit down to create a layout, I also cross reference with our family Google calendar, and with my cell phone and DSLR photos which are all automatically dated.  (My bullet journal is great for my occasional "to-do lists" as well!)

- I have not used the same collection or kit for each of my layouts.  I change the kits each week.  I do think having coordinated layouts looks great, especially if you're planning to print a book of your year, and I kind of wish I could do mine that way (Angie's 2018 layouts were awesome!)  - but I know myself, and I think I wouldn't keep up with PL if I used the same kit each week.  Using a different one for every layout keeps me more interested in completing them.  I have learned to use less embellishments, and to use a solid color paper for my journaling areas.

I've been doing some form of PL for 11 years now. I still have 3 months to catch up on for 2019, but I'll get it done. 2020 will see some significant changes for our family, with our oldest going off to college and dh probably transferring to a new duty station (my younger dd and I will stay here so she doesn't have to change schools for her junior and senior years). I do 2 page monthly layouts and it works well for me. I know I want to use Angie's new templates but I'll have to think about what papers to use. I'm usually all about color on the pages but this year I'm feeling more clean and modern.

3 hours ago, CRS said:

I've been doing some form of PL for 11 years now. I still have 3 months to catch up on for 2019, but I'll get it done. 2020 will see some significant changes for our family, with our oldest going off to college and dh probably transferring to a new duty station (my younger dd and I will stay here so she doesn't have to change schools for her junior and senior years). I do 2 page monthly layouts and it works well for me. I know I want to use Angie's new templates but I'll have to think about what papers to use. I'm usually all about color on the pages but this year I'm feeling more clean and modern.

How did we get old enough to have kids going off to college??

1 hour ago, angleigh said:

You are youngsters.... my granddaughter will be going to college!!!

16 hours ago, Mikelle said:

A few other things Angie said in her first "tips" post resonate with me...

- I have found that using my less-than-perfect photos work great for PL layouts, especially if they're a bit out of focus.  The photos are smaller on PL layouts.  I have ended up using a lot more cell phone photos for my PL layouts, since it's easy to get a few photos of daily life each day using my phone, versus my DSLR.

- Journaling at least a little on PL layouts IS important, I think.  I can imagine 10 or 20 years from now, looking at these layouts, and being able to remember the events documented only because of my journaling.  The little details...  

- Knowing I will likely get behind (I got terribly behind in 2019), I use a bullet journal to keep track of things that have happened.  On a particular day, I might write something like "Went to dinner at Dad's house", or other things that seem pretty routine but I want to be able to mark it down in case I need it for PL later.  When I finally sit down to create a layout, I also cross reference with our family Google calendar, and with my cell phone and DSLR photos which are all automatically dated.  (My bullet journal is great for my occasional "to-do lists" as well!)

- I have not used the same collection or kit for each of my layouts.  I change the kits each week.  I do think having coordinated layouts looks great, especially if you're planning to print a book of your year, and I kind of wish I could do mine that way (Angie's 2018 layouts were awesome!)  - but I know myself, and I think I wouldn't keep up with PL if I used the same kit each week.  Using a different one for every layout keeps me more interested in completing them.  I have learned to use less embellishments, and to use a solid color paper for my journaling areas.

Mikelle, you do such an awesome job with the prompts and making them your own and fit your family’s life - I marvel at your creativity and how you do it!

April had a great tip awhile ago.   She always does the journaling current, this way you have it down before you forget events and you can much more easily go back in and add photos.   I did it that way the year I did monthly PL of my life.   I kept a document and added every few days to it.  It made my layouts go much faster because I didn’t have to think.  I did, though like you cross reference with my calendar and photos.  

I really want to try and finish this year. I always start off well then something happens (usually Ben) and I loose all focus and enthusiasm. 

16 hours ago, angleigh said:

I know that feeling, with two at uni (Lauren in her final year), Ben turning 18 in 2020 and Kiahna starting secondary school as well this year. I suddenly feel really old.