Project Life 2020

angleigh

20 minutes ago, ValerieT said:

I really want to try and finish this year. I always start off well then something happens (usually Ben) and I loose all focus and enthusiasm. 

I know that feeling, with two at uni (Lauren in her final year), Ben turning 18 in 2020 and Kiahna starting secondary school as well this year. I suddenly feel really old.

Excuse me?  Your “little” Kiahna is starting secondary school?   Oh my, now I feel even older!!  ?

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's exciting to see so many people joining in.  Hopefully as we get closer to the start we'll see a few more/new faces.

So if your using the same kit(s) through your book for the year have you decided what your using yet?  The last time I used Everyday Collection  and I really liked how the bright colors worked.  I kept alot of the background white, on each page I made the journaling box black and used white writing and then could add pop of color such as in THIS PAGE

I've thought about using the Summer Sorbet but honestly I don't know if it has enough small pattern papers for me.  I guess I could take some of the smaller ones and recolor them a bit to give myself some more options.  Hmm...I might have to go shopping in the store today and see if there's a better option(s)

Angie, Thank you for your kit suggestions. While I am aware of PL, it’s still a new concept to me. I need to browse the gallery to get some perspective and inspiration. My life is quite boring but perhaps this will motivate me to find/do something worth documenting. 

5 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Angie, Thank you for your kit suggestions. While I am aware of PL, it’s still a new concept to me. I need to browse the gallery to get some perspective and inspiration. My life is quite boring but perhaps this will motivate me to find/do something worth documenting. 

ok...so another look you can take for this is just a photo book.  I was just looking at pinterest today and saw several cool ones.  So instead of using the prompts to document your life.  Maybe you use them to take a photo a day (or use the weekly one to take several photos a week) and do it that way.  Then your journaling could be about what the prompt was for the week/day and your take on it

I'm actually thinking about doing this for mine this year

9 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Hey Kelly,  don’t discount your “boring” life!   I did PL one year and everyone kept saying I did so many things!   When all I did was document everything - all the silly little things like going to the grocery store, seeing an interesting tree outside, stopping to drop off something at my friend’s, etc!   It ended up being like a diary of the year and actually was a little interesting - even if I was doing nothing “special”!    

3 minutes ago, angleigh said:

So instead of using the prompts to document your life.  Maybe you use them to take a photo a day (or use the weekly one to take several photos a week) and do it that way.  Then your journaling could be about what the prompt was for the week/day and your take on it

I wasn’t going to do PL this year because the Australia Photo Book is just too hard now...   But, I'm getting more and more intrigued with the photo prompt idea.   I’m wondering if I could maybe do a layout a week (or so) of a photo inspired by a prompt - and make it an “artsy” page.  Art Journaling or watercolor effect (Kelly, you’re great at that and taught ME!) or even a nature page if it works?  I love doing those kinds of pages best, so now I’m mulling over doing that type of thing.

You can do it Kelly!    Make the idea your own and you’re great at artsy pages!
(& here I am trying to talk you into it and I’m not sure myself.  Maybe we both should!  :))

PS Another year I did a layout a month that sort of depicted that month.   January was bird feeding in the snow - I did a watercolor effect there.   June showed the pool opening;  March was a birthday month, etc etc...   Food for thought.   

11 minutes ago, MariJ said:

I wasn’t going to do PL this year because the Australia Photo Book is just too hard now...   But, I'm getting more and more intrigued with the photo prompt idea.   I’m wondering if I could maybe do a layout a week (or so) of a photo inspired by a prompt - and make it an “artsy” page.  Art Journaling or watercolor effect (Kelly, you’re great at that and taught ME!) or even a nature page if it works?  I love doing those kinds of pages best, so now I’m mulling over doing that type of thing.

You can do it Kelly!    Make the idea your own and you’re great at artsy pages!
(& here I am trying to talk you into it and I’m not sure myself.  Maybe we both should!  :))

PS Another year I did a layout a month that sort of depicted that month.   January was bird feeding in the snow - I did a watercolor effect there.   June showed the pool opening;  March was a birthday month, etc etc...   Food for thought.   

For sure!  I saw an artsy PL book while I was looking around a few weeks ago....it was really cool.  And you could easily use the weekly prompts to do a layout a week.  AND if the weekly prompt doesn't work for you...choose one of the daily prompts and make it your weekly one.  Or like you said make up your own prompt.  

45 minutes ago, angleigh said:

For sure!  I saw an artsy PL book while I was looking around a few weeks ago....it was really cool.  And you could easily use the weekly prompts to do a layout a week.  AND if the weekly prompt doesn't work for you...choose one of the daily prompts and make it your weekly one.  Or like you said make up your own prompt.  

SOLD!

I’m in...   Or at least gonna try with at least one a month, hopefully more.  
Have to say, each year I committed, I finished.   So, now I have a record to live up to!   ?:rofl:

I've spent WAY too many hours today looking through Pinterest and now I think I'm doing something completely different then I was going to.

I really think i'm going to do a photo book.   I was going to use my Build Your Own Layout for this year, but now I think I might do something else...maybe i'll have to create a new template set.

I use the same kit for a month to depict the season wee are in but I use Marlene Peacocks templates for my pages as I can usually get a double page of photos per month on them :) For January I've started with CWX_InTheMoment for my pages.

Here are the last of my December pages and I've now completed 2019 :) 
December 2019 pg5&6

4 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Marilyn, you make me blush. ☺️ Yes, I do love making the more artsy pages! ?   I’m getting excited to give it a try. I just need to decide how I want to do it. Pinterest and gallery here I come! ?

Yay!   But, it’s all true!   When I did the page-a-month, I just scrapped however the mood struck me and what fit the subject or month/time of year.   I’m glad you’re doing it, I’m getting excited now, too!  :)
Happy New Year!   ?

Ok...like I said I spent WAY too long looking at ideas today.  I really love the whole photobook take on it, but I'm still not sure (thankfully I have a few days to make up my mind)  I did create these templates to use if I go that way though.  They might be in the store this week.  And I did a couple of sample layouts showing how they might be used...which is probably what i'll do if I go this direction.

ABR_BYOP_LO1.jpg

ABR_BYOP_LO2.jpg

ABR_BYOP_VPMKTG.jpg

14 minutes ago, A-M said:

Have the photo prompts been shared yet?  It is already 2nd January here Down Under.

Ok...rookie mistake!  I kept thinking week 1 starts on the 5th and that's when I post the prompts....didn't think about daily prompts starting today. I'll go post now

24 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

I saw the prompts but have a question. The first set is daily prompts, i get that. The next set is weekly prompts. Is the last one a monthly prompt?

Yup, I just looked and there’s 12 and it says monthly!   I’m still trying to decide what to do.   I might go back and forth between monthly and the rest...  Or, pick a monthly prompt from the weekly/daily ones....   Decisions, decisions!     
I’d actually like to do nature pages, but I’m not keen on holding myself to one idea at this point.   I guess I’ll just have to decide as I go along!

Have you decided yet, Kelly or are you going-as-you-go, too?   

48 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

I saw the prompts but have a question. The first set is daily prompts, i get that. The next set is weekly prompts. Is the last one a monthly prompt?

Monthly....so if someone just wants to do one page a month or use the same prompt for the whole month.  

1 hour ago, MariJ said:

Yup, I just looked and there’s 12 and it says monthly!   I’m still trying to decide what to do.   I might go back and forth between monthly and the rest...  Or, pick a monthly prompt from the weekly/daily ones....   Decisions, decisions!     
I’d actually like to do nature pages, but I’m not keen on holding myself to one idea at this point.   I guess I’ll just have to decide as I go along!

Have you decided yet, Kelly or are you going-as-you-go, too?   

Ha ha, Yup, right there on the top, D'oh! When I first looked at the prompts it was on my phone, in the dark, without my glasses on or without coffee. :rofl:Marilyn, I can't decide what I'm going to do. Last year, well in December  actually, I had been thinking of ways to to celebrate turning 60 this year. I had been thinking of taking a photo a day, so I'm leaning toward that. I'm just not sure if I'll go with the daily, or weekly prompts. I may use the prompts if I get stuck with what to take for the day. On the other hand it might good to put on my creative thinking cap and go with the prompts, especially when nothing exciting is going on. Perhaps, and that's a big perhaps I'll use the monthly prompts to do one artsy layout as well..... Hmmmm.

4 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Ha ha, Yup, right there on the top, D'oh! When I first looked at the prompts it was on my phone, in the dark, without my glasses on or without coffee. :rofl:Marilyn, I can't decide what I'm going to do. Last year, well in December  actually, I had been thinking of ways to to celebrate turning 60 this year. I had been thinking of taking a photo a day, so I'm leaning toward that. I'm just not sure if I'll go with the daily, or weekly prompts. I may use the prompts if I get stuck with what to take for the day. On the other hand it might good to put on my creative thinking cap and go with the prompts, especially when nothing exciting is going on. Perhaps, and that's a big perhaps I'll use the monthly prompts to do one artsy layout as well..... Hmmmm.

I totally mix the prompts.  Some weeks i'll use the daily, others I  might use the weekly.  Heck some weeks I might see something on the daily prompts I really like and choose to make that my weekly one.  

Okay, so I think I will stick with my idea of working on the "old vacations" book. I will commit myself to posting one layout a week, and hopefully the prompts will give me a kick to get it done. I probably won't use lots of the prompt ideas, but maybe sometimes I will "sneak" them in. My thought is to use 1-2 kits predominately for each vacation, so that when I switch locales, the page vibe and color look different, too. I did this with my South Dakota pages (using almost exclusively BMU's Calico and DRB Designs Roughing It), and I really liked the cohesive feel of those pages. 

I’m probably not going to use the prompts, but Angie talked me into doing a photo book for my “Making Art Everyday” project.  I’m taking 15-20 minutes every single day to work on my digital art skills, and I think it would be really fun to make a book at the end of the year and see what all transpired.  I’ll probably do a weekly page or a two page spread; not sure yet.  Most of my art is square shaped, so I’ll have to figure out how to format that nicely.  

I need a neutral sort of collection so I can put all my colorful drawings on there.  I need to get designing so I have one to use!

Can’t wait to see everyone’s work! :)  Thanks, Angie!!

13 minutes ago, cherekaye said:

I’m probably not going to use the prompts, but Angie talked me into doing a photo book for my “Making Art Everyday” project.  I’m taking 15-20 minutes every single day to work on my digital art skills, and I think it would be really fun to make a book at the end of the year and see what all transpired.  I’ll probably do a weekly page or a two page spread; not sure yet.  Most of my art is square shaped, so I’ll have to figure out how to format that nicely.  

I need a neutral sort of collection so I can put all my colorful drawings on there.  I need to get designing so I have one to use!

Can’t wait to see everyone’s work! :)  Thanks, Angie!!

Can't wait to see how it comes out.

And what about a black/white/grey collection.  That would really allow your art to pop!

On 12/28/2019 at 3:05 PM, ladyscrapalot said:

I turn the big 6-0 this year and I've been trying to think of special things to do to celebrate this milestone. I had been thinking of doing a photo a day but this is even better. However, because of my work schedule I'll most likely do a weekly layout.

Well...I've got a whole decade on you!  I turn 70 next month, and I think I'd like to do this too.  I'm thinking a weekly layout will most likely work best for me.   My life is not exciting by any stretch of the imagination, but I would like to document it, maybe I'm feeling that more than I used to as I'm becoming aware of how quickly time is passing, my oldest granddaughter turned 13 this past fall.  Anyway...I want to try.

siggie-Sept-19.jpg.548d9fb26332ae3d16659ba7f78916dc.jpg

Trying to read through the guidelines, but didn't see the answer to my question that is, if we do the weekly project, is there is requisite number of photos to use on the page, or is it totally up to us?  Also, is it to be a double page layout?  or can it be a single page for a week?

8 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Me either, can’t decide so maybe I will go with the flow, so to speak.   I like that idea of ways to celebrate turning 60, a sorta all about you - or what interests you.     I think I’m going to decide as the mood strikes me, I like all your ideas!   And, I like Angie’s ideas about mixing up the prompts and/or daily, weekly or monthly time schedule.   I think that’s what would work best for me.   

33 minutes ago, Grandmadori said:

Trying to read through the guidelines, but didn't see the answer to my question that is, if we do the weekly project, is there is requisite number of photos to use on the page, or is it totally up to us?  Also, is it to be a double page layout?  or can it be a single page for a week?

I’ve done layouts with one photo... and many photos, single pages and doubles, definitely a single page for a week.   I’m fairly sure it’s whatever works for you!

4 minutes ago, MariJ said:

Me either, can’t decide so maybe I will go with the flow, so to speak.   I like that idea of ways to celebrate turning 60, a sorta all about you - or what interests you.     I think I’m going to decide as the mood strikes me, I like all your ideas!   And, I like Angie’s ideas about mixing up the prompts and/or daily, weekly or monthly time schedule.   I think that’s what would work best for me.   

Yeah, I’m thinking I’ll go with the flow. This week, so far any way, I’m combining the daily with the weekly. I’m not sure if I can/will continue to do this. I also have an idea for the monthly prompt. Today I purchased Angie’s Everyday Collection she mentioned earlier. It’s got some good stuff in it. 

9 minutes ago, MariJ said:

I’ve done layouts with one photo... and many photos, single pages and doubles, definitely a single page for a week.   I’m fairly sure it’s whatever works for you!

To take a quote from the movie “Grease” Rules are there ain’t no rules?! ?