Now that Windows 7 is going away and 10 is mandatory...

Smiles

I just got a new computer with Windows 10, and so far I'm pretty confused.  I also got the new version of Office, so that's more learning curve. 

Some of it is probably the way my tech guy transferred the files.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love them!

The thing I'm missing the most at the moment is the program we used to unzip.  I thought I could find the .exe file in the things he transferred over.  I was able to get my old Picasa to load just fine.  Was PKunzip the program we used?  Does anyone recommend anything else?  Unzipping each file separately is a real pain!

thanks for any and all suggestions!

Hi Gayle,
I have no help to give; I just wrote to give sympathy. You sure have a lot to deal with all at once! I got PSE 20 for Christmas and am afraid to install it because of what I might lose. But hopefully all will go well with both of us. By the way, I have Windows 8.1 on one computer and Windows 10 on my laptop but I don't use any special program to unzip files. And, yes, I unzip them one at a time. 

Hi Gayle,  Well you can join a bunch of us like Diane and I who bought PSE 2020 on Black Friday - we said we should all install it at the same time for sympathy and help!   :rofl:

I’m on a Mac so don’t know Windows, but wishing you good luck.  AND, Happy New Year!   :) 

Good luck Gayle - I'm sure you're not alone.

I'm hoping I can get away with Windows 7 for a little bit longer. My desktop PC is 10 years old so I may consider buying a new one with Windows 10 installed. From what I hear its people who try to upgrade to Windows 10 on old hardware that encounter the problems. Why oh why can't they just leave things alone??!!!

I also use Windows 10, mostof it is ok and some is not, don't like the office :D environment for Windows 10 , as outlook for windows 7 isn't compatible with windows 10 outlook. I have had to use a different method and acess my emails directly from my broadband provider, other than I haven't encountered any problems at all.

I use 7-zip for unzipping files (free software), it allows me to do a whole collection or multiple collections from the same designer as i keep them in their designated folders, super quick. Good luck with the changes, hope the transition is super kind :) have fun.

38 minutes ago, Smiles said:

the good news is I installed PSE20 and was able to update a layout.  I haven't begun to check out what's new, but at least it's familiar enough I can work in it.

Whew, that is good to hear!  I’m dreading changing over, thanks for the positive update, Gayle!