Using style as an outline

Niki

Hi!  I have a questions about using styles.  There is an Auld Lang Syne collection designed by Aimee Harrison that shows an example of 2020 New Years where in the picture the number 2020 looks like it has fireworks in the center, and then the outline uses a glitter style as the outline.  When I try to use styles it takes over the whole thing.  Can someone tell me how this is done?  I'd like to create a similar page.  I'm using PSE 2019 and on a Mac.  Any help appreciated,

thanks!

Hi, Niki!  If I understand you correctly, here’s what I do in that situation when I want the style to be a border.  I duplicate the layer/embellishment and on the bottom layer I apply the style.  But, if you want it to extend beyond the top and border the top layer, you’d need to make the bottom layer larger to extend beyond the top layer.
I think there might be a way to use a blending mode on the top layer, but I’ve never done that. 

Here’s a glitter style from Amanda that I use with the first method I described: ASO Glitter Glows.  When I use the style on the bottom layer it shows around the edges of the top layer/embellishment.    If you post a link to the layout, maybe we can be more specific.  

*** Actually, I just found the layout on Aimee’s product page so now I totally see what you mean.  The style link I gave you above will make a glitter outline, so maybe that would work for what you are trying to do since it won’t fill in the entire piece.  I’d guess you would have to find styles that outline to get the outcome you are looking for., but this looks like what you need!

HI, I follow what you describe and I sort of tried that.  What I'm running into is trying to make the number or layer a little smaller than the glitter layer, I can't seem to get it skewed correctly so it's smaller on all sides.  Maybe I need to make each number/letter a layer of its own instead of doing the entire 2020 together.  

I’m not sure I understand.   Are you applying the style to the number directly so it is just an outline or do you have two layers - the number and the glitter outline? 

To resize on all ends, on my Mac I hold down the Option Key (also says ‘alt’ on it) while pulling one of the corner boxes while using the Move Tool (“V”).   That will size it in all directions so mor evenly.
If you are using the style I talked about, there are 3 versions to it.  One is “Outer” glow which makes the glitter layer larger than the original so that might work.

Does this help?  Let us know, we’ll keep trying!  :) 

So here's what I would do.

Once I had my word/number typed out like I want it.  I would create a new layer above it.  You can do this in your layers palette by clicking on the new layer icon. Then click on your number/word layer to make it active.  On a PC I would next hold down the cntrl key and click it again.  This will get the marching ants around the number/word

Now go back to your layers palette and click on that new layer.  This will make that active one again

Then go edit>stroke (outline) selection choose a width and color for your stroke (color does not matter as you'll be applying a style but you want it contrasting so you can see it) and choose outside for location and click ok

You should have your stroke on your new layer.  Now you can apply your style to that stroke layer. 

5 minutes ago, angleigh said:

So here's what I would do.

Once I had my word/number typed out like I want it.  I would create a new layer above it.  You can do this in your layers palette by clicking on the new layer icon. Then click on your number/word layer to make it active.  On a PC I would next hold down the cntrl key and click it again.  This will get the marching ants around the number/word

Now go back to your layers palette and click on that new layer.  This will make that active one again

Then go edit>stroke (outline) selection choose a width and color for your stroke (color does not matter as you'll be applying a style but you want it contrasting so you can see it) and choose outside for location and click ok

You should have your stroke on your new layer.  Now you can apply your style to that stroke layer. 

Angie, this is great!  I never thought/didn’t know how - to do that.  :) 

• 2 weeks later...