Tuesday 3/3/20 Challenge

alsoarty

Let’s talk typography. Typography is the art and technique of arranging type to make written language, readable, and APPEALING when displayed. The arrangement of type involves selecting typefaces, point sizes, line lengths, line-spacing (leading), and letter-spacing (tracking), and adjusting the space between pairs of letters (kerning). The term Typography is also applied to the style, arrangement, and appearance of the letters, numbers, and symbols created by the process. Type design is a closely related craft, sometimes considered part of typography. (Wikipedia).

So let’s have some fun creating a fun title!  I’ve attached some examples of creative titles created for TV shows, and movies. Your challenge is to create a title for your layout that is unique. Using examples I have here for inspiration, or create your own.

Please post your layouts in the Tuesday Newsletter Gallery, with a link back here in this thread.

HERE is my layout. I chose the BULL TV show's title.

IMG_5685.PNG

Title examples.jpg

Oooh. Interesting challenge. A few months ago I placed some interesting typography layouts in my Pinterest page for inspiration. I will have to go back and look at them and see what layout I can figure out.

Also, on the topic of typography - sometimes I see underlined journaling on Pinterest layouts. The font is usually a handwritten type style and the underlines are uneven and look "hand drawn." I haven't had any luck finding a font like this. Is this technique done in some other manner? Thoughts, ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

45 minutes ago, Celestine said:

Oooh. Interesting challenge. A few months ago I placed some interesting typography layouts in my Pinterest page for inspiration. I will have to go back and look at them and see what layout I can figure out.

Also, on the topic of typography - sometimes I see underlined journaling on Pinterest layouts. The font is usually a handwritten type style and the underlines are uneven and look "hand drawn." I haven't had any luck finding a font like this. Is this technique done in some other manner? Thoughts, ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Can you give me an example so I can do some research for you? It sounds interesting.

3 hours ago, alsoarty said:

Can you give me an example so I can do some research for you? It sounds interesting.

Andrea - As far as I remember, I haven't seen examples here on ScrapGirls, so I sent you a personal message with some of the layouts I saw on Pinterest. Any suggestions would be great.

Escape Room- I think this qualifies for what you are talking about. I used the magnifying glasses for O's. I also use the leading to space the journaling how I wanted it.

For any of you who don't know what an Escape Room is. Your group is put in a room with a clue and in an hour you are supposed to find more clues, unlock locks and solve the mystery.  It takes team work and some serious thinking...lots of fun.

I had the idea to use back-to-back initials somehow in the wedding photobook ages ago, and even drafted up a page. This typography challenge reminded me that it was stuck out there waiting for me to finish it. Although the actual letters have been changed for privacy, here is Initials.

2 minutes ago, AnnBK said:

Feeling REALLY dense here!  Can someone give me a quick reminder of the size required for uploading to the gallery? I have a layout ready to go and want to get it right. THANKS!!?

Hi Ann!  I don’t think there is a limit to the size. For a 12x12 layout, I reduce it to 8x8, but that’s usually all I do.  Sometimes I’ll additionally reduce it to 200 dpi from 300, but I don’t usually. I know some other sites do limit the size, but I haven’t run into that at SG.  Hope you’re doing well, good to see you!

23 minutes ago, AnnBK said:

Feeling REALLY dense here!  Can someone give me a quick reminder of the size required for uploading to the gallery? I have a layout ready to go and want to get it right. THANKS!!?

Hi Ann, normally I take my 12x12” layout and reduce the Image Size.  In PSE it’s Image>Resize>Image Size to get to that dialogue box.  
I leave the width and height the same 12x12, but change the resolution (which is usually 300dpi) - to 73 dpi.    That’s how I was first told to post on ScrapGirls!  :)