Photoshop Help!

ScrappingForever

As some of you know, I'm in a frenzy of scrapping here. Trying to get a bunch of pages done for an album for my in-laws before they get here on Thursday. I'm in the middle of a layout....actually, adding the drop shadows before saving it, and the thing has locked up on me. I double-clicked on the layer to bring up the drop shadow dialogue, and it's sitting staring at me taunting me with the hourglass. Is there anyway I can get this to let up without cntrl+alt+deleting and shutting down the program? I haven't saved this layout yet....of course....and I really don't want to have to rebuild it!

THANKS so much for any tips you can give me!

Guest Teresa P
how long has it been hanging! I would walk away for ten or fifteen minutes and see if it catches up and gives you your layout back without that ucky hourglass. I am on a mac and have had that happen if I had a ton going on in the layout and the system in general and it has always snapped out of it for me. I hope it does for you!

Guest babydoe
That has got to be heartbreaking to have to lose a LO after you have worked so hard on it. But, I always practice what I was taught years ago when personal computers were just becoming popular.

"Save early and save often." Doing that has saved me many times from losing a whole project.

I think you can set up PS to do an autosave every 10 minutes----you can set the minutes....but i can't find it, i remember it, but it took up a lot of time and it would start saving at the wrong time. You just have to get in the habit of doing it. I'm sorry you had to reboot, so annoying!

I've had that happen to me before in Photoshop and Elements both what i've done, and sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't, is do cntrl alt delete. When the screen popped up I didn't do anything, I didn't choose to end any task but it seems to be just what my computer needed to get past being stuck.

Oh, interesting Angie. Aren't computers weird!

Thanks for all of your help and encouragement! I did end up killing PS last night, and recreated the layout today. It did go very quickly, tho, since it was a two pager, and I had already saved the first page. Since I used the same papers and some of the same elements, it came together quickly. I was even able to get another two-page layout done this morning before running out for the day. So woo-hooo! I have 6 of the 16 pages I need to do for my in-laws! LOL I've decided that they may be getting the partially completed album on Christmas, and I'll finish the other pages before they head back to AZ on Wednesday.

Thanks again!

Do you want to know WHY things like this happen????
And ALWAYS when you are in a hurry???

hmmmmm....

My theory is ....
it's simply a little way to remind us to SAVE frequently!! Once something like this happens to you, there is a general tendency to save often. For some it may take two or three times, but it usually works.

I know it has for me!

Sorry you had to go thru it Jan!

I had a few saving horror stories during the first part of my computer career which involved losing big musical scores. Talk about learning the hard way!

I now have the Ctrl + S action so engrained in my left hand that I don't even have to think about it. It automatically saves everything every time I stop doing anything at all. (Kind of like pushing up your glasses on your nose. You do it without thinking about it or even being aware that it is happening.)

Ctrl S

Ctrl S

Build that habit and you'll be SOOOOOO glad you did.

Yeah....I'm definately learning! And it's always good to know I'm not the only one who needs to be hit over the head before I do it. I just wish it wouldn't take sooo long to save over our network. That's what keeps me from doing it often. It probably takes a good minute to complete the save. Mike is talking about getting a faster network router, tho, so maybe that will help.

Archived