Picasa, or File Viewers

SJDodd

Hello everyone - I hope that each of you are doing as well as can be during these unsettling times.

TeeCee - I know you said you also worked with and loved Picasa.  With my latest upgrade to the Mac, Picasa no longer works.  Something to do with 32 bit vs. the OS being 64 bit - not that I understand.

I am looking for a photo viewer to replace Picasa.  With Picasa, it would show "open" folders with all the elements in it and I could scroll down and see what I wanted to work with.

My question is - how do I select a photo viewer that will show me what is in the folders without having to open each one.

My files are all in one main folder, Scrapgirls, and then organized by the file names they come in as.  So all my ABR_ are together, etc.  I want to see what is in each of them without having to open all (hundreds) of them.

Am I making any sense?  Right now I have to open every folder to find something.  I don't find "search" to be helpful.  I prefer to see the collections!

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions!!  Totally lost without my Picasa!

Sandy

It is a Mac thing for sure.  But I've read that it's a problem for Windows 10,   I did not have a problem until I upgraded to the latest version.  Had I known, I would not have done it!

I find Picasa to be so helpful - it allows me to see all of my collections and elements right in front of me without opening all the folders.

I'm beside myself trying to come up with the best plan!!  Everything else seems to complicated - ACDSee seems close but still way more than I need.  I have Lightroom and PSE - I just need this for a photo viewer!

Sandy

On 4/7/2020 at 8:40 PM, SJDodd said:

It is a Mac thing for sure.  But I've read that it's a problem for Windows 10,   I did not have a problem until I upgraded to the latest version.  Had I known, I would not have done it!

I find Picasa to be so helpful - it allows me to see all of my collections and elements right in front of me without opening all the folders.

I'm beside myself trying to come up with the best plan!!  Everything else seems to complicated - ACDSee seems close but still way more than I need.  I have Lightroom and PSE - I just need this for a photo viewer!

Sandy

I use ACDSee now that I am a MAC girl and LOVE it.  Yes, there is a lot to it that I don't use, I only use it for finding/searching supplies.  Be sure your MAX os is up-to-date before you purchase ACDSee, just so you are sure of compatibility.  

Can you share with me what it is you like about ACDSee and how you use it?  I love that I could pull up Picasa and see all of the embellishments and kits all across the screen.  They were sorted by folder, but I could easily see what was in each one.  I'm looking into Phiewer for the Mac...I need to resolve this so I can see what is in all my folders!

On 4/11/2020 at 3:03 PM, SJDodd said:

Can you share with me what it is you like about ACDSee and how you use it?  I love that I could pull up Picasa and see all of the embellishments and kits all across the screen.  They were sorted by folder, but I could easily see what was in each one.  I'm looking into Phiewer for the Mac...I need to resolve this so I can see what is in all my folders!

Once it is set up (which is simple!) it is easy to search.  I can search "button" and it will find buttons anywhere within the folders I have selected.  (For me, it's my "scrapping supplies" folder)  Then, I can scroll through the list of buttons to find what I need.  

Also, I have done some minor tagging.  I have a "preview" category.  Each time I file away a new collection, in ACDSEE I tag the preview image to that category.  I can then click on that category and it will bring up all things tagged.  It's a way to scroll through "everything" without having to open and close folders.

You can also open files from ACDSEE.  Whether you choose to "view in finder" or "open with *your version of PS/PSE*.  If you chose View in Finder it will open the folder that item is in.

I hope this helps.  I am SO BAD at explaining things!!  Please feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Thank you so much for this explanation.  I can't tell you how many hours I have spent trying to find a replacement for Picasa.  I have Lightroom and I have PSE 14 for my editing.  I also have a ton of photos, like many of you, I am sure.

So I have ACDSee for Mac 6.  I have a support ticket open with them.  I want to be able to see what is in each sub folder easily when I scroll (like I could with Picasa).  I also want to hide certain folders and ONLY use this to look at my scrapbooking files.

I tend to scroll through the collections and glance at color schemes that might work for a particular set of photos I might be looking to scrap.  I tend to work from one collection at a time, so I don't search for "buttons" per se.  It tends to be a color scheme that catches my eye.

Are you able to hide folders in ACDSee?  Any tips you can provide on this would be so welcome.  I'm about ready to ask for a refund!!!

Hope you and yours are well during this unprecedented time.

Sandy

22 hours ago, SJDodd said:

Thank you so much for this explanation.  I can't tell you how many hours I have spent trying to find a replacement for Picasa.  I have Lightroom and I have PSE 14 for my editing.  I also have a ton of photos, like many of you, I am sure.

So I have ACDSee for Mac 6.  I have a support ticket open with them.  I want to be able to see what is in each sub folder easily when I scroll (like I could with Picasa).  I also want to hide certain folders and ONLY use this to look at my scrapbooking files.

I tend to scroll through the collections and glance at color schemes that might work for a particular set of photos I might be looking to scrap.  I tend to work from one collection at a time, so I don't search for "buttons" per se.  It tends to be a color scheme that catches my eye.

Are you able to hide folders in ACDSee?  Any tips you can provide on this would be so welcome.  I'm about ready to ask for a refund!!!

Hope you and yours are well during this unprecedented time.

Sandy

I almost always scrap from one collection myself!  I will look more closely this afternoon or evening at my laptop (which has ACDSEE), I'm at work now.  But yes, you can select which folder to/not to include.  The reason I created the "preview" tag/category was so that I could scroll through "all" my collections easily by viewing the marketing images.  It might depend on your folder structure how easily you can view and scroll w/o opening folders.  

I hesitated with ACDSEE because there is so much else the program can do, but I just use it strictly as a viewer and am happy with it.  Hang in there!!  Surely we can get this figured out.  :D 

• 2 weeks later...

I've contacted ACDSee again, and they tell me I can't keep file folders open and it can't show the sub-folders on a Mac.  I've asked for a refund as this was the only reason I wanted it.

If you can convince me that I can see this on a Mac, I'll call off my attack!!  I just want a simple file viewer!  My scrapbooking has come to a halt!

Sandy

• 1 month later...

I have been exploring Adobe Bridge. It is now free, no need to have PhotoShop to download and use. It is a file browser. Like all Adobe products not easy to learn, but I have found that you can show all subfolders in a folder. Go to view and click 'show items from subfolder'and it will show all files in that folder. It does not keep the view subfolders open all the time, you need to go to view each time to view a folder.  As far as I can tell you can only choose one folder at a time, but it you choose a folder such as 'Scrap Girls' it will open all folders in that folder. If like me, you don't want to do that since you probably have thousands of files in that folder!

On 5/6/2020 at 2:11 PM, SJDodd said:

I've contacted ACDSee again, and they tell me I can't keep file folders open and it can't show the sub-folders on a Mac.  I've asked for a refund as this was the only reason I wanted it.

If you can convince me that I can see this on a Mac, I'll call off my attack!!  I just want a simple file viewer!  My scrapbooking has come to a halt!

Sandy

What have you decided, Sandy? 

41 minutes ago, scrapgarden said:

I have been exploring Adobe Bridge. It is now free, no need to have PhotoShop to download and use. It is a file browser. Like all Adobe products not easy to learn, but I have found that you can show all subfolders in a folder. Go to view and click 'show items from subfolder'and it will show all files in that folder. It does not keep the view subfolders open all the time, you need to go to view each time to view a folder.  As far as I can tell you can only choose one folder at a time, but it you choose a folder such as 'Scrap Girls' it will open all folders in that folder. If like me, you don't want to do that since you probably have thousands of files in that folder!

This is good to know!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow - as I mentioned, my scrapbooking has come to a halt!  Not only busy with work-from-home during the pandemic, but still trying to decide on a way to organize my files.  I've received a refund from AcdSee.  Now I am trying to work in Photoshop Elements Organizer 14 - it keeps crashing.  I can't even determine the simplest way to start!  An album vs all my folders!  Good grief!!!

I will certainly look at Adobe Bridge - and I will continue to try and make Organizer work.  I'm just not sure why or how it can be this hard!!!  I only want to keep all my collections together - see all the elements in the folders under a designer's set of initials as categorized, etc.

Thank you all so much for checking back in - I will try to check back sooner rather than later.  I hope you all are well!

Sandy

18 hours ago, SJDodd said:

Wow - as I mentioned, my scrapbooking has come to a halt!  Not only busy with work-from-home during the pandemic, but still trying to decide on a way to organize my files.  I've received a refund from AcdSee.  Now I am trying to work in Photoshop Elements Organizer 14 - it keeps crashing.  I can't even determine the simplest way to start!  An album vs all my folders!  Good grief!!!

I will certainly look at Adobe Bridge - and I will continue to try and make Organizer work.  I'm just not sure why or how it can be this hard!!!  I only want to keep all my collections together - see all the elements in the folders under a designer's set of initials as categorized, etc.

Thank you all so much for checking back in - I will try to check back sooner rather than later.  I hope you all are well!

Sandy

Good luck!!  I hope you find what works for you!!  I hope the crashing stops, that is so frustrating!!

I spent my travel time over the weekend unzipping and filing away my purchases.  

Hi there!  Did you decide to use Adobe Bridge?  Is that why you spent time filing, unzipping, etc.?  It's funny, you'd think this would be an easy process!!!  I just want to see all my files, open, in front of me, in the Scrapgirls main folder!

Sandy

After my computer got a new motherboard, Picasa works for me again.  I'm crossing my fingers it won't mess things up!  I don't know why Picasa and my original Bamboo Fun tablet didn't work before and do now, but I'm really happy they do.

Just downloaded Adobe Bridge and am finally seeing my whole Scrapgirls folder with all that is in it again!  Actually got started doing a few pages or my annual calendar - hooray!!!  Still miss my Picasa...but better than nothing!!

Sandy