Mischief Week Thursday Chat Challenge: Mess versus Masterpiece (Updated!)

Mikelle

Thanks for a fun chat everyone!  I can't wait to see everyone's messes... (ahem) masterpieces!  In case you didn't make it to the chat, you can still join the challenge.  Everyone who completes and posts their masterpiece layout by midnight EST Friday night will be entered in a drawing for a $5 gift certificate to the SG Shop!  Post your layouts in the Mischief Week/NSD Gallery, then come back to this thread and post a link to your layout so we can see the beauty you created!  ?  

The whole point (and fun) of Mess versus Masterpiece is to see the layout that comes from a given set of random supplies that you pull from your own stash.  Don't get too bogged down in doing this the "right" way, as each one of us organizes our supplies a little differently.  If your folder or subfolder does not have the required number of supplies to count to, count them all and then start over at the top, as many times as you need to in order to get to the given number for that supply.  If you don't have subfolders (folders within other folders), just skip them.  

Here are the RULES for your layout:

-       No Scrap Simple products (when counting, don’t count SS products)

-       Only use the supplies given, no others, although you may duplicate what you have

-       You may use shadows/shadow styles in addition to the given supplies

-       You may crop your photo and papers if you wish

-       Do not alter hue/saturation of supplies, or use filters.  Exceptions:  You may use blending modes on your papers ONLY, and you may alter only your photo (using a filter, B&W, etc).

-       Everything must be visible.

-       As much as possible, use SG supplies (don't forget to list your supplies, if you can!)

And here are your SUPPLIES:  

1 Photo:  Folder 16; Subfolder 6; Photo 37

3 Papers:  1. Folder 41, Subfolder 3, Paper 16;    2. Folder 12, Subfolder 10, Paper 3;     3. Folder 23, Subfolder 15, Paper 10

5 Embellishments:  1. Folder 6, Subfolder 8, Emb 6;    2. Folder 50, Subfolder 4, Emb 71;      3. Folder 24, Subfolder 15, Emb 36;     4. Folder 4, Subfolder 25, Emb 9;    5. Folder 34, Subfolder 17, Emb 27

1 Alpha set:  Must use at least 1 number or 1 letter from set:  Folder 43, Subfolder 3, Alpha set 4

1 Font:  For journaling/date, and for title if not using the alpha for title.  Don’t count wingdings/graphic fonts: 136

1 Brush Set: Can use any or all brushes from set, must use at least one brush:  Folder 75, Subfolder 18, Brush Set 12.  Exception: If you don't have the ability to use brushes, or don't own any brushes, then use a mask as an alternative.  May use the mask with one of your papers or your photo.

1 Style (optional): For optional use with brushes and/or font: Folder 46, Subfolder 35, Style 5

I will try to make it. I have never done one of these chats so it would be fun. I put it on my calendar now as long as nothing changes in between I will be there. Thanks Mikelle.

5 hours ago, Jane in N.Z said:

Sound fun hopefully I can make this chat as I think its 3pm here :) 

Wow - 7 p.m. EST is 4 p.m. my time (PST), on Thursday.  NZ is a full 23 hours ahead of me!  How's Friday looking?

3 hours ago, Boatlady said:

I will try to make it. I have never done one of these chats so it would be fun. I put it on my calendar now as long as nothing changes in between I will be there. Thanks Mikelle.

Debby, I've never participated in a Mess vs Masterpiece challenge - even though I'm running this one, I'm curious how it will turn out!

I ended up blending half a page on my second paper and cutting another one up into hearts. I also landed on two papers for embellishments (the notebook paper and the journal card). This layout pulled from three holiday themed kits: Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day and Easter. Quite the mash-up. Here is mine.

HELP... I have a question regarding Brushes. As some of you know I use a mouthstick (I can only hit one key at a time) to use my laptop. I know how to load brushes but don't use them because it's extremely hard to control them. I know that there are PNG files that accompany brushes. The one thing I love about scrap girls is that you constantly push me to try things I would never try on my own. When I count down 12 (my brush set is Cruising) the brush number is 1060 (airplane) but the PNG file shows an envelope. Are the brush numbers and the PNG files not in the same order? I know I could take the easy way out and use a mask but I want to give this a try and stay within the guidelines of the challenge. Thank you so much for any clarification you could provide me regarding brushes.'

This was a great challenge. I had to adapt because my storage system is different so I adjusted and this is what I came up with -Mess or Masterpiece

I planned to attend the chat but friends needed help last night with a project and by the time we got back it was almost over...I would have loved to hang out with all of you. I think you did a great job Mikelle- you made it a masterpiece.

1 hour ago, LindaH57 said:

HELP... I have a question regarding Brushes. As some of you know I use a mouthstick (I can only hit one key at a time) to use my laptop. I know how to load brushes but don't use them because it's extremely hard to control them. I know that there are PNG files that accompany brushes. The one thing I love about scrap girls is that you constantly push me to try things I would never try on my own. When I count down 12 (my brush set is Cruising) the brush number is 1060 (airplane) but the PNG file shows an envelope. Are the brush numbers and the PNG files not in the same order? I know I could take the easy way out and use a mask but I want to give this a try and stay within the guidelines of the challenge. Thank you so much for any clarification you could provide me regarding brushes.'

Linda what program are you using? I would love to help you. If you want to message me--- we can do that too.

40 minutes ago, LindaH57 said:

Hi Debby, PSE 2020...Thank you so much...

I sent you a private message with something to try.

12 hours ago, LindaH57 said:

Hi Linda, I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier.  I don't use PSE, so I think if I try to answer, I won't make much sense.  I will say, even in Photoshop, I use the png files often, rather than actually "brushing" onto the page.  I do this especially with dynamic brushes (where you can adjust scatter, angle, orientation, etc), if I don't need all the bells and whistles that the brush has to offer, and instead I want just one or two of the brush image placed a specific way on my page.  In fact, for this Mess/Masterpiece challenge, the brush I ended up with was a mask brush, so I decided to use the accompanying png instead of stamping it onto my page with the abr (brush) file.  Anyway, I think you're doing great, and I really enjoy your layouts!

11 hours ago, Boatlady said:

This was a great challenge. I had to adapt because my storage system is different so I adjusted and this is what I came up with -Mess or Masterpiece

I planned to attend the chat but friends needed help last night with a project and by the time we got back it was almost over...I would have loved to hang out with all of you. I think you did a great job Mikelle- you made it a masterpiece.

Well, I don't know about a masterpiece (for mine), but I actually did like the alpha I ended up with.  It's a really old one, and I don't even remember seeing it in my stash before.  But, given the photo was about ear piercing, I think the alpha was just about perfect!  I'm glad you still did a layout for the challenge - and great that you were helping friends last night!

Good morning, here is my layout for the Mess/Masterpiece Chat Challenge. I want to send a very special thanks to Debby for her patience and guidance with my request for brush assistance. Words cannot express how much I truly do appreciate you taking the time to offer your help to me. I would also like to thank Mikelle for her guidance as well and for hosting this chat. It definitely took me out of my comfort zone!
NASCAR

@LindaH57  Congratulations, you've won the $5 gift certificate to the SG shop for the Mess vs Masterpiece chat and challenge!  Linda, send an email to Angie at prizes@scrapgirls.com to claim your $5 certificate.  Yay!

Thanks everyone, for participating, it was a lot of fun!