White Vs Transparent Bkgd?

latrischler

I'm new to digi, and purchased both of Ro's tutorials - which are very helpful! But ... I want to know things like.... when I create a file, what is the difference between creating it with a white background or a transparent background? Does it make a difference and when should I use which?
THANKS!

It depends on the file you're making.

Let's say you open up a 1"x1" file to make a tab using the shapes tools. You create the shape you want, make it the color you want, add some texture to it - and ta dah, you have a nifty little tab you can use on your layouts.

If you made that tab on a file with a white background, every time you put that tab on a layout, you'll also be putting the 1"x1" white background on the layout as well. Does that make sense?

So that's a case where you'd definitely want to create a file with a transparent background.

But if you're creating a layout and you'll be adding papers and all sorts of layers, you'll probably prefer opening a file with a white background, as the checkerboard appearance of a transparent background might be distracting.

Does that help?

• 4 weeks later...
I'm going to ask a quick related question, which is probably a totally silly question, but...

Is there a benefit to choosing the white background over the transparent background when creating a full layout other than that the checkerboard appearance can be distracting?

Thanks!

Stacie

I don't know yet about PSE or PS (just because I haven't tried it yet! LOL) but in PSPX and Xi you can go to File>preferences>general program pref>transparancy and shading and set them to what ever you want! You can make it any color too, take away the boxes too if you want!

HTH

PS & PSE is Edit>pref>transparancy

I agree with everything the others have said.

But, I always use the transparent background and sometimes even use the gray and white squares for spacing and alignment. No particular reason why, just how my brain works I guess - lol!

I guess I should have added that I keep mine in checkerboard so that I can see where my png's and things are! I usually only add in a white or colored first layer if I use brushes on my second layer!

Hope that makes sense!

Archived